Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

K-5 II Abe's of Maine - $749
Posted By: goldenarrow, 09-15-2013, 08:31 PM

A few minutes ago, just snagged a K-5 II for $749 with free shipping to continental USA. They are an Authorized Pentax dealer with USA warranty. Have no idea how long this price lasts, no mention on the web site, but no rebates to send in as far as I can tell. (Just found out that the USA warranty is $79.99 more!)
Pentax K-5 II Digital SLR Camera Body - Black

Last edited by goldenarrow; 09-16-2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: price differential for USA warranty
Views: 5,774
09-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
amazon marketplace

QuoteOriginally posted by StevenMatchett Quote
Get it on amazon for cheaper and do not even bother with this company. Also buy the 4 year accident plan for 70 bucks I not sure you could beat that :P

Amazon.com: Pentax K-5 II 16.3 MP DSLR Body Only (Black): Camera & Photo
I would trust Adam's choice of marketplace sellers more than Amazon's marketplace. Great Lakes says they are authorized but they have no address and phone number or separate web site. Electronics Basket was reported by one user to sell a Pentax body with a warranty for South America.

That said, if I ever get the package from Abe's, I will be taking unboxing photos very very carefully.

09-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
I would trust Adam's choice of marketplace sellers more than Amazon's marketplace. Great Lakes says they are authorized but they have no address and phone number or separate web site. Electronics Basket was reported by one user to sell a Pentax body with a warranty for South America.

That said, if I ever get the package from Abe's, I will be taking unboxing photos very very carefully.
Adam doesn't appear to be selective or gives endorsements. He only accepts and pushes places that offer referrals and sponsorship to the site. If you really want the lowdown, google B&H and "fines" and see what you come up with. The site frequently removes references to B&H's business and political practices.
09-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, the latest news is that the USA warranty is $79.99 extra! So, on the phone, I had to make the decision to go or no-go. I want it, so I am getting it with USA warranty for $828.99. That is a $67 savings over the two big dealers (who I am sure would consider matching it, giving Abe's some competition. I did not want to take the time to do so but feel free to make it more competitive!). So, I figure it is a price in between what is now and a Black Friday or Cyber Monday price could be later this year. A calculated risk for sure. And it will probably be cheaper still next year. But I want it now...... And, yes, he tried to sell me the memory card, carry case, "long life" battery, 3 year warranty with accident insurance. Said no to all the rest of it but it was a very cordial and polite conversation. Will have to see if the box serial number matches what is on the card and on the body when I get it - we shall see what I get.

Problem is with these gray-market products, it is a growing part of the dealer network. I would think that even discontinued K-30's, which I looked at also, are also gray-market in many instances unless you can see it for yourself in the store. At this point, I don't mind paying the slightly higher price for the authorized version until there is more clarity around this gray-market sourcing. Eventually, everything may end up gray as companies fight for a dwindling slice of the middle-class pie......
09-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Pentax extended warranty should only cost you $20 period (last I bought one, did it go up?) so wondering just what it is they sold you. And you can actually buy that from a different retailer than you buy the body as long as you do it within a certain time period.

09-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Pentax extended warranty should only cost you $20 period (last I bought one, did it go up?) so wondering just what it is they sold you. And you can actually buy that from a different retailer than you buy the body as long as you do it within a certain time period.
"... so I am getting it with USA warranty for $828.99."

That is what they sold me. It is not an extended warranty which I can still buy from the other two retailers for $20. Not sure why you are confused.....
09-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #21
Pentaxian

"... so I am getting it with USA warranty for $828.99."

That is what they sold me. It is not an extended warranty which I can still buy from the other two retailers for $20. Not sure why you are confused.....
Well, it is not a Pentax warranty, so who is backing the warranty? Is it for accidents and all that?
09-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pentax warranty

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Well, it is not a Pentax warranty, so who is backing the warranty? Is it for accidents and all that?
Man said "manufacturer's warranty" and "warranty is from Pentax". You bring up a good point, but you don't know for sure what conversation I had with the man. You should state things that way. Unless you work for the NSA??? Anyway, if it is not a USA warranty from Pentax, it gets returned.

09-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #23
Banned

Looks like Goldenarrow got ripped off.
09-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Man said "manufacturer's warranty" and "warranty is from Pentax". You bring up a good point, but you don't know for sure what conversation I had with the man. You should state things that way. Unless you work for the NSA??? Anyway, if it is not a USA warranty from Pentax, it gets returned.
As far as I know, there is no warranty to buy from Pentax for extra $$$ except $20 extended warranty, so that's why I'm wondering what they actually sold you...Square Trade or Mack or their own? You will find out shortly, I guess.
09-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Wow, I´d really like the better AF system... And perhaps the gapless LCD. It´s amazing pentax flagship is at the 700 mark
09-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #26

Bought a Nikon zoom lens from Abe's of maine before. They called and tried to sell other things like filter, battery, and extra third party warranty. After I turned down everything, they shipped the lens to me. The lens was new with manufacturer warranty. Not too bad experience with them.
09-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #27
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Wow, I´d really like the better AF system... And perhaps the gapless LCD. It´s amazing pentax flagship is at the 700 mark
It's not.
09-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
It's not.
Well, when you put it that way, I totally understand why not... (sarcasm)
09-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #29
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Well, when you put it that way, I totally understand why not... (sarcasm)
It's in the thread.

The camera the OP bought was sold without a warranty and he purchased some dubious warranty, thinking it was paying for a Pentax warranty, for extra.
09-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
It's in the thread.

The camera the OP bought was sold without a warranty and he purchased some dubious warranty, thinking it was paying for a Pentax warranty, for extra.
No reason to think that if he had only paid for camera that it would be "without warranty". Abes *is* an authorized and legit Pentax dealer, and so it would come with Pentax normal warranty for a brand new body. (All you need to get warranty service is a receipt for the camera from an authorized dealer within the warranty period -- so they can't "remove the warranty" or anything.) And then he'd have the option to buy the Pentax extended warranty for $20, which he doesn't even have to get from them.

So the question is what he actually bought for extra. If they told him it was simply a Pentax warranty for more money (or they charged him 4x extra for official Pentax extended warranty), then that would indeed be a total ripoff and criminal. More likely it is some third-party thing as are available from most places these days. (Square Trade or the like.) Which are also kind of a ripoff, but that's more a matter of opinion rather than actual fraud (as would charging someone extra for something they get anyway would be). And of course they may have been totally misleading on the phone, and there is probably no record of that...