Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

K-5 II Abe's of Maine - $749
Posted By: goldenarrow, 09-15-2013, 08:31 PM

A few minutes ago, just snagged a K-5 II for $749 with free shipping to continental USA. They are an Authorized Pentax dealer with USA warranty. Have no idea how long this price lasts, no mention on the web site, but no rebates to send in as far as I can tell. (Just found out that the USA warranty is $79.99 more!)
Pentax K-5 II Digital SLR Camera Body - Black

Last edited by goldenarrow; 09-16-2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: price differential for USA warranty
Views: 4,690
09-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
received the camera today

Serial# matches the box, the serial# card, and the camera body. Shutter count is 1 as shown in the screenshot with a manufacture date of Dec. 4th. Extra Pentax card with USA support phone number and hours of operation Mountain Time. The Packing List does not have a serial number on it but neither did my K-01 from Adorama which I had bought early this year. Seem legit so far. Going to take some pictures this weekend. If I had agreed to have them ship me a "gray market" version for cheaper, I wonder what I would have received??? Not sure I care at this point.......

Last edited by goldenarrow; 07-09-2017 at 09:31 PM.
09-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Abe of Maine.... they call you after you place an order to try to get you to buy memory cards, warranty, extra batteries, filters, bags, etc..... I pity their employee who were asked to do so for every order.
I thought by now they should have realize this gives a bad name to them, in online forums, but no, they still practice this. I guess they do get people to buy those extra stuff.

I bought my first PENTAX DSLR from them (and later two lenses), denied the extra, and got enough of the calls from them, so I stop buying from them.
I hope they stop that tactic.... man, it's 2013.

Lee
09-20-2013, 05:02 AM   #33
Forum Member

Enjoy the k5 II it is a beast of a camera
09-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Agreed but...

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Abe of Maine.... they call you after you place an order to try to get you to buy memory cards, warranty, extra batteries, filters, bags, etc..... I pity their employee who were asked to do so for every order.
I thought by now they should have realize this gives a bad name to them, in online forums, but no, they still practice this. I guess they do get people to buy those extra stuff.

I bought my first PENTAX DSLR from them (and later two lenses), denied the extra, and got enough of the calls from them, so I stop buying from them.
I hope they stop that tactic.... man, it's 2013.

Lee
I agree. It is quite confusing to deal with them. And I found out an interesting tidbit from BBB web site about being in bankruptcy protection (but they are rated A+, go figure???). If I were buying a kit with accessories, the B&H or Adorama bundles are a better deal, but I only need the Body. The market seems to support their kind of behavior and it seems gray market pricing is becoming normal. Most sellers on Amazon Marketplace seem to be gray market. Makes everything confusing. Maybe B&H or Adorama will match the price if you call them??? Worth a try before you buy! (I did not think of it until too late) I think I will just take pictures.....

Last edited by goldenarrow; 07-09-2017 at 09:31 PM.
09-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevenmatchett Quote
enjoy the k5 ii it is a beast of a camera :d
+1 - ok!
09-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #36
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
The market seems to support their kind of behavior and it seems gray market pricing is becoming normal. Most sellers on Amazon Marketplace seem to be gray market.
You've said this before. Can you please provide backup for this, as I've checked through and not seen indication of this. In fact, Amazon responds to stuff like this, so I'm interested in knowing where your data comes from.
09-21-2013, 12:36 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
A few minutes ago, just snagged a K-5 II for $749 with free shipping to continental USA. They are an Authorized Pentax dealer with USA warranty. Have no idea how long this price lasts, no mention on the web site, but no rebates to send in as far as I can tell. (Just found out that the USA warranty is $79.99 more!)
Pentax K-5 II Digital SLR Camera Body - Black

It's odd that they charge an additional $79.99 for US warranty when it shows in the linked ad "Brand New, USA Warranty."
09-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #38

Just say no....

I have a Pentax K5II body in transit from Abe's. Total cost = $749 - $15 "loyalty credit" = $735. No sales tax or shipping.

I did have call back to "confirm" my order and listen to slimeball tactics to up-sell me:

1) Abe's rep: "You know this camera comes with a low-capacity battery that will only take 50-100 shots. We recommend buying a high-capacity battery...".

Me: "I already have 3 batteries that fit this camera. No thanks."

Abe's rep: "Ah, ok, so you already have extra batteries." End of pitch #1.

2) Abe's rep: "More important...this camera comes with a 90-day parts, 1-year labor warranty. We recommend buying a two-year extended warranty for $79.95. This will cover you.....blah, blah, blah..."

Me: "No thanks"

Abe's rep: "Let me see what I can do here....I can give you a $20 discount on that, bringing the cost of the warranty to just $59 and change.....your total cost would then be....blah, blah, blah..."

Me. "No thanks, I'lll skip that."

Abe's rep: "Can I ask why?"

Me: "Because I don't want it."

Abe's rep: "OK, so let me finalize your order...."

My conversation, which was over in about 5 minutes, was this morning, and I received a tracking number from UPS this afternoon. I'll let people know if what I receive is anything other than a new K5II body kit with all the expected accessories. The rep was polite, and even though he was lying through his teeth, was quick to take "no" for an answer. One just has to be polite and firm.

Lie #1: note that the kit K5II body comes with a standard D-LI90 battery, not a "low capacity battery"
Lie #2: note that the Pentax standard warranty is 1 year parts and labor, not a 90-day limit on parts.

Finally, note that one can buy a 2-year Pentax-backed extended warranty (within 30 days of the initial purchase date of a camera) for $19.95 from B&H or Adorama. This extends the warranty to a total of 3 years, and it includes one free "checkup" by Pentax of the equipment during the coverage period. Unlike most extended warranties, this one sounds like a good deal.

Looking forward to playing with my new toy!

H

(Pentax user since my first SLR, an Asahi Pentax spotmatic.)

Attached Images

09-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #39
Pentaxian

I bought a K-7 from Abe's with the $20 Pentax extended warranty (it was an advertised bundle on their site), and they STILL tried to sell me some warranty on the phone. So I am still left wondering just what it is the OP bought for his extra $$$ -- nothing at all? I mean, I understand they think they can get away with a bit of lying on the phone to sell something, but to actually sell nothing but thin air and they are getting away with it?
09-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #40
Forum Member

I am wondering if this warranty will be valid in Australia :
Pentax 2-Year Extended Warranty for Pentax and Ricoh 85716 B&H
09-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by Foma2 Quote
I am wondering if this warranty will be valid in Australia :
Pentax 2-Year Extended Warranty for Pentax and Ricoh 85716 B&H
See the Ricoh/Pentax support site Product Repair & Service - RICOH Imaging

".....This extended warranty applies only to the RICOH IMAGING Cameras distributed solely by the U.S. distributor, RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION, 633 17th Street, Suite 2600 Denver, Colorado 80202 and purchased from a RICOH IMAGING authorized dealer."

"....NOT VALID IN FLORIDA,THE COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA OR WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. THIS U.S.A. EXTENDED WARRANTY IS ONLY VALID WHEN CAMERA IS SENT TO RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION."

It looks like this is just for cameras sold by U.S. distributors and serviced in the U.S. It might be worth contacting the official Aussie Ricoh/Pentax distributors (CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE | www.pentax.com.au) and see if there is anything equivalent.