Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
K-5 II Abe's of Maine - $749
Posted By: goldenarrow, 09-15-2013, 08:31 PM

A few minutes ago, just snagged a K-5 II for $749 with free shipping to continental USA. They are an Authorized Pentax dealer with USA warranty. Have no idea how long this price lasts, no mention on the web site, but no rebates to send in as far as I can tell. (Just found out that the USA warranty is $79.99 more!)
Pentax K-5 II Digital SLR Camera Body - Black

Last edited by goldenarrow; 09-16-2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: price differential for USA warranty
Views: 4,555
09-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
K-5 II with 18-135 for 1099 is interesting, too
09-16-2013, 03:43 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Use coupon code LOYALTY15 to bring the price down $15 !!!
09-16-2013, 03:53 AM   #4
Banned

I'm more interested in seeing the follow up posts after purchase.

09-16-2013, 04:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
never ordered from Abe's

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
I'm more interested in seeing the follow up posts after purchase.
Yeah, maybe it will be mangled, scratches all over it, and have a kids bubble gum on the inside! We'll see....
09-16-2013, 05:57 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
Yeah, maybe it will be mangled, scratches all over it, and have a kids bubble gum on the inside! We'll see....
You appear to not be in the know about Abe's.

Their reputation precedes them. They'll hit forums when people talk about them and always talk about problems being in the past, but then, sometimes in the very same thread, there are problems posted there.

This is absolutely a buyer beware situation. They have to answer to the BBB to resolve cases in order to keep some sort of a satisfaction rating, so have them on speed dial.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/abes-of-maine-edison
09-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very bad experience from Abe's of Maine some years ago. I ordered a flash (don't remember the model number or anything) according to the pictures they posted on their website. BTW, their description of the production was very poor you could hardly tell what it was. But the pictures were clear and showed the model number.
However, I got a totally different very cheap toy, a very week slave flash without any control on it. I called several time, and eventually got a chance talk to they manager (at least that was what I was told), and he said the pictures was just pictures, not necessary reflect the product! And he told me I should either ship the toy back (shipping at my cost because the flash was not defective) to get partial refund (shipping fee to me and restock fee will be charged) or he can refund me $20 for keeping it.
Never looked at them again. Maybe they are better now, but I would stay away.
overstock, which was involved in the well-known K5II+18-135WR sell event, was at least very polite and nice when you talk to them, and offered free shipping back and full refund.

And I doubt their camera they are selling have US warranty. Are they really authorized reseller?

Last edited by grahame; 09-16-2013 at 10:31 AM.
09-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We'll see. Funny that Adam would accept such a company as one of PF's marketplace sponsers alongside bh and adorama. I even clicked on the link to the store that he provided. The k5 ii web page clearly says authorized dealer and usa warranty.
09-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #10

Well I guess if you saw it on the Internet It must be true
09-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Got one of my bodies from Abes -- no trouble. They are authorized dealer. They do try to upsell you on extra warranties and crap. (They called a week after I got order.)

Still, if something DOES happen, I don't know why so many people are willing to eat the money -- that just encourages bad behavior. If you file a dispute with your credit card company, they will almost always take your side and give you a refund. Same thing with the BBB -- if you make a complaint they will be motivated to fix it. If the facts are on your side, normally you won't get screwed (much), just annoyed at the run-around...
09-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #12
Forum Member

You can get it from Amazon at that price too. Pentax K-5 II body only.
09-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Same thing with the BBB -- if you make a complaint they will be motivated to fix it.
Interesting how this is seen as no big deal.
09-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #14
Forum Member

Get it on amazon for cheaper and do not even bother with this company. Also buy the 4 year accident plan for 70 bucks, not sure you could beat that :P

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-5-II-16-3-Black/dp/B0099J8A2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U...keywords=k5+II

Last edited by StevenMatchett; 09-16-2013 at 12:54 PM.
09-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Interesting how this is seen as no big deal.
What is seen as no big deal? They have an A+ rating. (So does B&H, with almost the exact same number of closed complaints. Same with Adorama, which actually has significantly more. Of course they have different levels of overall business so hard to judge anything by that.)

Or do you mean the complaint process? It is no big deal, I've done it before. You take 10 minutes to write a letter about your problem, complaint gets opened, then someone solves it to make that black mark go away...

* I do see that there is a bankruptcy alert for Abe's from a year back. That is something if still ongoing. Hard to get service or send returns to company that doesn't exist.