Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Autumn sale at digitalrev.com - buying experiences?
Posted By: seventysixersfan, 10-01-2013, 01:13 PM

I noticed a banner advertisement on the Pentaxforums website for an autumn sale at digitalrev.com

Autumn Sale Limited Offer

This is a Hong Kong-based company, I believe, and the products ship from there. I assume that if U.S. buyers buy from them, it is not covered by a Pentax USA warranty-- it's a grey-market good. Instead, digitalrev offers their own 1-year "warranty" - they will pay for repairs.
See: Worldwide Local Warranty - DigitalRev.com

Two of the better deals I saw are:

Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 for $479 with free shipping (although it takes 17-20 days)
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM Lens for DSLR for Sale

Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 for $299 with free shipping:
Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical Lens for Sale

I have no idea how reputable digitalrev is, and I have never had any experiences buying from them. Still, I was surprised to see the banner advertisement on the PF website.

Last edited by seventysixersfan; 10-01-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Views: 881
10-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I noticed a banner advertisement on the Pentaxforums website for an autumn sale at digitalrev.com

Autumn Sale Limited Offer

This is a Hong Kong-based company, I believe, and the products ship from there. I assume that if U.S. buyers buy from them, it is not covered by a Pentax USA warranty-- it's a grey-market good. Instead, digitalrev offers their own 1-year "warranty" - they will pay for repairs.
See: Worldwide Local Warranty - DigitalRev.com

Two of the better deals I saw are:

Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 for $479 with free shipping (although it takes 17-20 days)
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM Lens for DSLR for Sale

Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 for $299 with free shipping:
Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical Lens for Sale

I have no idea how reputable digitalrev is, and I have never had any experiences buying from them. Still, I was surprised to see the banner advertisement on the PF website.
It must have been a google ad, as we're not affiliated with them. There have been complaints about their store so I would not recommend them off the top of my head.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Even if they were good to go I'd spend the extra money to get the Sigma warranty...or buy a used one from KEH
10-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Adam-- thanks, I wasn't sure how or why the ad appeared. I didn't know that it was unaffiliated with pentaxforums. I do enjoy the videos made by "Kai" on digitalrevTV, but I wasn't sure about buying from their webstore.

RyanS-- thanks, I agree with you. A true Sigma 3 or 4 year warranty and 6 year Tamron warranty may well be worth the peace of mind, rather than importing the lens from abroad.

10-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I bought a HiDef camcorder from them a couple years ago at a much reduced price (AUD$900 as opposed to AUD$1499 locally). It arrived in good time and came with many free DR nick-nacks. Never had any problems with the camera.
10-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Adam-- thanks, I wasn't sure how or why the ad appeared. I didn't know that it was unaffiliated with pentaxforums. I do enjoy the videos made by "Kai" on digitalrevTV, but I wasn't sure about buying from their webstore.

Google knows everything about you (and apparently so does the NSA - if they've not been laid of like the rest of the country)

I bought a portable hard drive yesterday, I did check the store price on my smartphone before getting it.
And now today on my PC I have banner ads displaying the exact same item from the same store. Amazing or SPOOKY

If you buy from Digital Rev , it seems there might be small a chance that you'll get a camera that's been used in in one of there videos and then sold as new.

Photog Accuses DigitalRev of Selling Him a Used Review Camera as New