Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

K-3 / K-5 II / K-50: Don't forget the extended warranty!
Posted By: Adam, 10-09-2013, 12:00 PM

If you live in the US, you can get a 2-year warranty extension on any new camera purchase with the warranty card below ($19):

Pentax 2-Year Extended Warranty for Pentax and Ricoh 85716 B&H
Pentax 2 Year Extended Warranty for all current Pentax DSLR, Compact and Q Cameras. (Total Warranty 3 years - 1 Year Standard + 2 Years Additional)

This warranty is valid for all Pentax and Ricoh cameras (DSLRs and compacts).

The warranty card must be purchased at the same time as the camera to be valid. This card must be purchased within 30 days of receiving the camera and is valid even if you purchased the camera from a different retailer in the US. If it's back-ordered that the time of purchase, that's OK- the original invoice date is all that matters. (updated Jan 2015)
Views: 10,998
11-28-2014, 01:34 AM   #46
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Palio Quote
Hi

Is it working for buyers from Europe?
The warranty extension is only for US purchases and warranty service under it can only be obtained within the US. You can of course still order all cameras/lenses and have them shipped to you if you're outside of the US, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #47

I just received a new k-3 for Christmas (woohoo!!)
It was purchased online from an authorized U.S. dealer. I have the confirmation email with the order number and item description and price paid. It's not in my name obviously, but is this enough to purchase and validate the 2 year extended warranty from B&H? Thanks in advance.
Sorry for the repeat post. I hadn't received an answer from the B&H guy yet and was getting impatient.
12-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can order the warranty from BH or Adorama.

You don't register anything, just keep both and when you need service just show the copies of your receipts showing they were purchased within 30 days of each other.
12-27-2014, 10:12 PM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
You can order the warranty from BH or Adorama.

You don't register anything, just keep both and when you need service just show the copies of your receipts showing they were purchased within 30 days of each other.
Thanks for the reply. So when/if this happens is it OK that the order confirmation email that I have doesn't have my name on it since it is a gift?

12-27-2014, 10:39 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can chat with Ricoh about it but I'm sure this is a common situation.

Product Repair & Service - RICOH Imaging
12-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #51
Forum Member

Hey guys

Does this include physical damage like dropping it or water damage?

mike
12-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #52

Manufacturer's extended warranty. So AFAIK, it covers defects only. Still a great deal.

12-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregor Quote
Manufacturer's extended warranty. So AFAIK, it covers defects only. Still a great deal.
And a free CLA within the 3 year time period.
12-28-2014, 01:58 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tampamiketaylor Quote
Hey guys

Does this include physical damage like dropping it or water damage?

mike
It just extends the standard warranty, good to read the fine print on that or call Ricoh and ask.

You would have to buy third party insurance for drop coverage, but again read the fine print.
New Leaf PLUS 3 Year Drops & Spills, for Digital Cameras up to $1000 DIA3U1K
12-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #55
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
It just extends the standard warranty, good to read the fine print on that or call Ricoh and ask.

You would have to buy third party insurance for drop coverage, but again read the fine print.
New Leaf PLUS 3 Year Drops & Spills, for Digital Cameras up to $1000 DIA3U1K
Thank you
12-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #56

Canada includes a two year warranty:

Warranty Information?Support?RICOH IMAGING CANADA

QuoteQuote:
Exclusive Ricoh Imaging 2-Year Canadian Warranty
2year Warranty

Applies to:

Digital SLR Camera Bodies (ie. K-3, K-5II, K-50, K-500)
Digital and Autofocus 35 mm Lenses (ie.D-FA, DA, DA Limited, DA★, DA-L and FA series lenses)

This limited two-year warranty is composed of a one-year manufacturer’s warranty, as well as an additional 2nd year domestic warranty. This two-year warranty applies only to Ricoh Imaging products originally distributed by RICOH IMAGING CANADA INC., 300 – 5520 Explorer Drive, Mississauga, ON L4W 5L1, and purchased within Canada from a Ricoh Imaging authorized dealer. This warranty is limited to repair of defects in material and/or workmanship. If your Ricoh Imaging product malfunctions due to such a defect within this two-year period, RICOH IMAGING CANADA INC. will repair it at no charge. However all charges related to shipping the product to the service center are the responsibility of the owner. (Note: RICOH IMAGING CANADA will not assume the responsibility for damages or loss encountered in transit to the service center, but will assist in processing any claims whenever possible.) This warranty does not cover finishes or batteries, nor does it cover damages resulting from accident, misuse, abuse, dirt, water, battery leakage, tampering, servicing performed or attempted by unauthorized service agencies. Routine cleaning and normal cosmetic and mechanical wear are not covered under the terms of this warranty. RICOH IMAGING CANADA INC. shall not be liable for any consequential or incidental damages resulting from any breach of warranty, express or implied, applicable to this product. This warranty only applies to Ricoh Imaging photographic equipment originally distributed in Canada by RICOH IMAGING CANADA INC., 300 – 5520 Explorer Drive, Mississauga, ON L4W 5L1, and purchased within Canada from a Ricoh Imaging authorized dealer. This warranty applies to the original owner only and is non-transferable.

The US extended warranty can be purchased within 60 days:

http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/support#!warranty-information
QuoteQuote:
The extended warranty set forth below is provided by Ricoh Imaging Corporation ("Ricoh") for products originally distributed in the United States by Ricoh Imaging Corporation, 633 17th Street, Suite 2600, Denver, Colorado 80202, excluding PENTAX Sport Optics products ("Products") and must be purchased within two (2) months of original purchase. This extended warranty is not available for Ricoh’s 645z camera unless purchased and included as part of the Ricoh Pentax Advantage program.
12-29-2014, 11:35 PM   #57
Veteran Member

2 days left for FY2014. Should I buy the K3 now and offset a bit more biz income for the year, or wait til the next model comes out? I'm thinking get it now, since I probably won't want to pay full price for the next model, and given how long it took the k5iis price to get so far down, I don't see the k3 dropping much more anytime soon.
12-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #58

I bought my K-50 on November 30 and it arrived on December 5. Is this warranty by date of purchase or date of delivery? It looks like date of purchase - in which case today is the 30th day if today isn't counted as a day (31 if it is counted). Does anyone have a link to the fineprint or can tell me if this would be valid if I purchased today?
12-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nw_mushroom Quote
I bought my K-50 on November 30 and it arrived on December 5. Is this warranty by date of purchase or date of delivery? It looks like date of purchase - in which case today is the 30th day if today isn't counted as a day (31 if it is counted). Does anyone have a link to the fineprint or can tell me if this would be valid if I purchased today?
I don't know anything specific about Pentax. For service contract/warranty my software sells for car parts, the customer isn't charged until the package is shipped, and that's when the plan takes effect. I'm fairly confident that they'd love to take your money and if you call someone you'll be told that 32 or 45 days or whatever is fine, as long as you don't make a claim right away.

Heck, Apple lets you buy their extended warranty as long as your existing warranty is valid. (actually, they'll ever let you buy it *after* your existing warranty expires... it just doesn't last any longer than ti would have if you'd purchased it the day you bought the product)
12-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #60
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
While the price of a new K3 slowly drips, drips, drips down, the price of admission for the extended warranty remains the same. It's still a true no-brainer and a bargain for anyone's peace of mind. Thank goodness Pentax puts together solid equipment, but it's good to know we've got a net below should the need arise.

And, a shout-out to Apple. I recently bought a new iMac and the standard warranty was about ready to run out. I ordered AppleCare from eBay which should have arrived in time. It did not . When it did arrive I called Apple and they politely and professionally guided me through the entire process to transfer ownership and register the new AppleCare warranty. I could NOT have been happier or more impressed!

Jeff