Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
560mm
Posted By: Mistlefoot, 10-20-2013, 12:45 AM

Not sure if we can but from the Pentax.jp store but....this works out to about $4500 US. I don't pretend to understand Japanese but we see what google translate offers. The "1-limited" might mean that only 1 is available (demo?). Either way, considerably less then what the price is here.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 574
Size:  167.0 KB

Views: 1,361
10-20-2013, 12:52 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, the lens is cheaper in Japan (it's been that way since its launch). They won't ship overseas AFAIK.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-20-2013, 01:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

This is in the range where I think this lens should be.
Would be interesting to see how this compares to the Sigma 500/4,5 in terms of image quality.
10-20-2013, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That is 35% less and slightly less than the Sigma 500.
At one time I thought the Pentax Forum was going to compare the Pentax 560 versus the Sigma 500. Is that still a scheduled project Adam?

10-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
That is 35% less and slightly less than the Sigma 500.
At one time I thought the Pentax Forum was going to compare the Pentax 560 versus the Sigma 500. Is that still a scheduled project Adam?
It may still happen, but it's no longer a priority. Nobody seems to have very much interest in the Pentax lens...

I've used both lenses, albeit not at the same time, and really see no reason to recommend the Pentax over the Sigma unless the loud AF bothers you. Subjectively I would say that both lenses deliver about the same optical performance. You do get an extra half stop with the Sigma and it isn't quite as long (physically).

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It may still happen, but it's no longer a priority. Nobody seems to have very much interest in the Pentax lens...

I've used both lenses, albeit not at the same time, and really see no reason to recommend the Pentax over the Sigma unless the loud AF bothers you. Subjectively I would say that both lenses deliver about the same optical performance. You do get an extra half stop with the Sigma and it isn't quite as long (physically).
Thanks Adam.

After the shock of getting the K-3 Silver edition calms down I will have to start selling my wife on the Sigma - a very big sale.
10-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If this were the US price the advantage over the Sigma would be $1000 and the 60mm reach (akin to 100mm if you do the crop math)....assuming the lenses provided equal IQ
10-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
unless the loud AF bothers you
How loud? I shoot mostly nature and mostly wild water birds. Would the loud be significant enough to scare those birds?

10-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
If this were the US price the advantage over the Sigma would be $1000 and the 60mm reach (akin to 100mm if you do the crop math)....assuming the lenses provided equal IQ
I guess we just need to wait for Pentax to drop the price - or perhaps close out the 560 - and/or introduce a competitive replacement.
10-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
How loud? I shoot mostly nature and mostly wild water birds. Would the loud be significant enough to scare those birds?
It's not bad or anything, just the typical sound that screwdrive AF makes.

Adam

10-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Ok, thanks Adam.
10-22-2013, 05:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I have shot hundreds of frames with the Sigma. Birds and other wildlife.
Never had any problems with the noise.
10-28-2013, 05:25 AM   #13
Forum Member

IMHO (with the little birding experience i have) WR is a big deal when you're running around on beaches, sand dunes, marshes, mountain tops, forests, etc...
10-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #14
Pentaxian

It's not weather sealing most of us need, it's "Fall Prevention"

My camera and lenses only get wet or dirty when I fall or my bag tumbles off a rock or log upon which I've perched it precariously.