Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pentax MX-1 compact for $249.99
Posted By: devorama, 10-26-2013, 06:57 AM

Looks like the MX-1 is on sale at woot.
Sale says for 3 days or until it sells out. Normal price is about $400, so this is a good deal. This is basically Pentax's answer to the Olympus XZ-2. The only real downside I see is that it does not have a hotshoe. They found room for a hotshoe on the Q, but not on this one somehow. Oh well.

Pentax MX-1 12 MP 4x Opt Digital Camera
Views: 3,841
10-26-2013, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax's answer or Pentax's version? It's basically the same cameras as the xz2. But at this price it's a steal!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Only thing keeping me back is the face that it doesn't have a hotshoe; that's something I need... oh well...
10-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #4

Very tempting!

10-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I hemmed and hawwed for a bit. But the fact is, a Pentax MX-1 at $249 is, to quote Adam, a steal. For that price one can forgive almost all of the camera's shortcomings, none of which are fatal. Wide open at f/1.8, Sony's RX100 may offer a bit better IQ due to its larger sensor. But at telephoto, the MX-1 pulls ahead (even taking sensor size into consideration) with f/2.5 on offer versus the Sony's f/4.9. The Pentax is also more consistent across its focal range. So I ordered one. Perhaps the MX-1 will become an odd footnote in Pentax history, much like the K-01. But, just as K-01 owners already know, while the camera isn't perfect, it is a bit of an overlooked gem that gets better the longer one uses it. And then the MX-1's brass...

Last edited by Biro; 10-27-2013 at 08:58 PM.
10-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
Forum Member

Very tempting. I just don't like using a camera, with no viewfinder. Do you guys think that's something I could get used to pretty easily?
10-28-2013, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I got the Woot deal. And I'm liking the MX-1.

I do prefer a hotshoe. But as a fried of mine pointed out, if I am out carrying this camera, the whole point is that I probably would not want to also be carrying a flash unit. Turns out he is right. Furthermore, if I am going to bring a flash, then I often want to bring along additional gear, like a sync cord, umbrella, etc. So realistically, not having a hotshoe is turning out to be not such a serious limitation. For those times, I have the K-5.

I also prefer a traditional optical viewfinder. But there are some benefits to using an LCD, like the ability to use both eyes! The LCD quality is excellent, and has a good tilt feature. I think that using an LCD is just a different shooting experience from using an OVF, something that you just have to get used to, but once you accept it, you can use either. I know about all the OVF vs. EVF vs. LCD debates out there, but as far as I know, nobody has ever been able to use the excuse that they couldn't get the shot because of one or the others.

Contrast this to the Q, which I also have, and enjoy for other reasons. It has a manual zoom, and a hotshoe, if I want to play with lighting. The Q is a lot of fun in its own way. But the MX-1 has, during the last few days of ownership, turned out to be pretty fun too, and in some ways a more practical camera, for its more compact overall dimensions than the Q (with lens), and the excellent tilting LCD screen. I don't want to overstate the image quality since I haven't done any side-by-side tests yet, but it does appear the MX-1 has considerably better image quality than the Q, which is just what the PF In-Depth Reviews say. I could really see taking this around in lieu of the K-5 or the Q when travelling.

Another thing. I love the K-5, but sometimes people just get weirded-out when you point that thing at them. Kids' birthday parties, even my own family gatherings, people just get uptight. I usually don't give a darn, but the MX-1 is almost like holding a little sleeping puppy. I suspect it will earn its keep over the upcoming holiday season.

Another thing. The Woot deal is for the all-black version. I tend to think this looks better with the black lens bezel ring thingy than the black-and-silver MX-1 does, because the bezel ring protrudes over the latter's silver top plate, and to me, based on pictures, this seems to emphasize it's plasticy look. The black has a smoother look to me, classic black understatement, vs. a design that, while it invokes the classic silver MX film body, just slightly misses the mark. Just my personal preference.

One more thing, for $250, you will be amazed how solid feeling this camera is. Like most Pentax products, this thing feels really solid. Makes you feel you got your money's worth.

10-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ecruz Quote
Very tempting. I just don't like using a camera, with no viewfinder. Do you guys think that's something I could get used to pretty easily?
Unless one has particular physical needs, one can get used to anything, despite the protestations of those who say "I just can't use" a rear LCD. While I also prefer a viewfinder (I have the K-5, K-30, K-01 and Q), the only issue I have with using a rear LCD is that some are difficult to see in bright sunlight. But some work fine. Sony's RX100 is an example of one that works (I don't have the MX-1 in hand yet). Just remember: On a bright summer day, you won't be using a rear LCD to manual focus outdoors. But you can frame just fine - which is fine for this kind of camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
I got the Woot deal. And I'm liking the MX-1.

I do prefer a hotshoe. But as a fried of mine pointed out, if I am out carrying this camera, the whole point is that I probably would not want to also be carrying a flash unit. Turns out he is right. Furthermore, if I am going to bring a flash, then I often want to bring along additional gear, like a sync cord, umbrella, etc. So realistically, not having a hotshoe is turning out to be not such a serious limitation. For those times, I have the K-5.

I also prefer a traditional optical viewfinder. But there are some benefits to using an LCD, like the ability to use both eyes! The LCD quality is excellent, and has a good tilt feature. I think that using an LCD is just a different shooting experience from using an OVF, something that you just have to get used to, but once you accept it, you can use either. I know about all the OVF vs. EVF vs. LCD debates out there, but as far as I know, nobody has ever been able to use the excuse that they couldn't get the shot because of one or the others.

Contrast this to the Q, which I also have, and enjoy for other reasons. It has a manual zoom, and a hotshoe, if I want to play with lighting. The Q is a lot of fun in its own way. But the MX-1 has, during the last few days of ownership, turned out to be pretty fun too, and in some ways a more practical camera, for its more compact overall dimensions than the Q (with lens), and the excellent tilting LCD screen. I don't want to overstate the image quality since I haven't done any side-by-side tests yet, but it does appear the MX-1 has considerably better image quality than the Q, which is just what the PF In-Depth Reviews say. I could really see taking this around in lieu of the K-5 or the Q when travelling.

Another thing. I love the K-5, but sometimes people just get weirded-out when you point that thing at them. Kids' birthday parties, even my own family gatherings, people just get uptight. I usually don't give a darn, but the MX-1 is almost like holding a little sleeping puppy. I suspect it will earn its keep over the upcoming holiday season.
Exactly.
10-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

That is a good price for a good little camera!
We're enjoying the RZ-18 I just got a couple months ago for our pocket camera needs, but the MX-1 is a quite tempting... particularly because the RZ-18 shortcomings (slow lens, not good for inside pictures) are solved with the faster MX-1 lens.
But on the other hand, the RZ-18's range (25-450mm in 35mm equivalent) and 1cm close-up capability, are handy when taking pictures outside.
I think an APS-C pocket camera with a f1.8-2.5 3x lens, for under $1k would be a game changer in the industry...
10-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #10

Gotta pass on this deal for now. If it were a seller on Amazon I would jump on it since I have a chunk of gift card balance to spend. Could an MX-1 successor be coming next year?
11-03-2013, 05:45 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the MX-1 is up for sale again at $250 on Woot.com. If you missed it last time here's another chance!
11-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wonder if the sale means that another model, similar to Olympus', is coming!! With an EVF maybe?
11-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I just ordered the black MX-1 from Broadway Camera in Vancouver B.C. Canada; $269.99 +tax; free shipping in Canada.
Pentax - Broadway Camera
11-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's back on Woot yet again: Pentax 12MP Digital Camera w/ 4x Optical

Charles.
11-12-2013, 04:26 AM   #15

I think my wife might be about to get a new camera for Christmas...