Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Rokinon 8mm... Emm... USD 79,-
Posted By: Vaards, 11-03-2013, 02:59 PM

Too good to be true.
But I grabbed one and wrote mail that I need Pentax mount: New Rokinon 8mm F 3 5 HD Fisheye Lens with Removeable Hood for DSLRs HD8M | eBay
Views: 2,546
11-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good luck with that...

I like the description that reads like one of those spam emails trying to get by a filter for certain keywords:

QuoteQuote:
"Your choice in Mount - C.anon EOS, S.ony, N.IKON , or P.entax

This is R-okinon's newest fisheye lens for C.anon."
11-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good luck with that. You'll probably get a ceiling fan.
11-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Good luck with that. You'll probably get a ceiling fan.
It`s good too!
Because Refund system on ebay is perfect.
If they ship with EMS, I`ll have my ceiling fan rather fast. And will make refund. Or will keep lens.

Seems two other persons grabbed deal from time when I bought it.

11-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is likely legit as everyone is dumping these things dirt cheap in all the various brands all of a sudden. If you consider the $50 shipping added in this is actually possible for it to priced that low coming from Hong Kong. The brands being blotted out means this is likely a grey market sale from an unauthorized source though it is a tad odd overall. Keep us posted.
11-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
If you consider the $50 shipping added in this is actually possible for it to priced that low coming from Hong Kong.
The seller's name wal**mart gives me pause.

If the wrong item or wrong mount is sent, what are your obligations for return? Are you responsible for the return shipping to the seller @ $50? Seems like quite a bit to lose if a return is required.
11-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Does seem a bit spooky, post-Halloween
When I bought the $199 deal from buydig/ebay it was marked Nikon everywhere except in the drop-list where I selected Pentax. I sent them an e-mail and said 'do not send unless Pentax mount' and all was well. It wasn't from wallymart though!

Add their $50 shipping and my deal doesn't look so bad - but hope it works for you!
11-04-2013, 02:56 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
The seller's name wal**mart gives me pause.

If the wrong item or wrong mount is sent, what are your obligations for return? Are you responsible for the return shipping to the seller @ $50? Seems like quite a bit to lose if a return is required.

1. Name Wall Mart for me (and most people) means the same as Genuine_Japan_Lens_seller_Nr.756 Em, it means nothing. Even If I know that on your island (ok, 1/3 of your continent - doubt it means much for Canadians, Mexico and those guys under Mexico) it is just supermarket chain.
2. If wrong mount is sent, I`ll feel just little bit sad. And will resell it with some 100% profit locally (I hope). I just got tracking number and message that Pentax mount is sent.
3. Nop, if something is wrong, Paypal case is raised and 100% refund is guaranteed. It is done so to decrease smart scams and to make more confidence for purchasers with deals like this one.

I`ll inform all of you about further progress. Because I took risk to grab deal more for curiosity than for lens itself (I have da 10-17 and sigma fisheye).

11-04-2013, 05:24 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Sold out.
11-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Well that was quick.

Would still love to hear the follow-up from Vaards regarding the outcome. Agree the wording in the ad was very creepy but the ebay and paypal guarantees are supposed to good. I mean, you don't want to go into a transaction expecting to use it, but on the other hand, if the guarantees weren't good, then nobody would use ebay/paypal. And I would suspect the buyer would have a valid claim that "P.entax" looks just like "Pentax".
11-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Following the old adage, if its too good to be true ...I'd be suspicious that maybe these lens have fallen off the back of a lorry. The "misspelling" of trade names could well be a ploy to avoid be spotted by the rightful owner looking to see if they turn up on the net.
11-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Following the old adage, if its too good to be true ...I'd be suspicious that maybe these lens have fallen off the back of a lorry. The "misspelling" of trade names could well be a ploy to avoid be spotted by the rightful owner looking to see if they turn up on the net.
I am starting to understand where scam is hidden.

Seller gives tracking number for EMS: EE251142630CN
Customer is picky and finds out EMS web page: ????????

Customer sees obvious scam - no such item.

But I have plenty of time, I can wait for one extra week.

So, where is point of scam?
I saw on local ebay forum a lot of ebay-beginners with so dumb an naive questions... And I remember my first scam, when I bought Lacie external HDD (when 500GB was super top capacity) and it appeared 80GB disk. Seller just talked and talked.... And then time to rise case was gone and seller just stopped to respond. I even didn`t left negative feedbacks, because didn`t understand what happened.

So, at the end 80% will make case and demand 100% of funds back, but 20% will be cheated. Good money anyway.

But I will wait for week or more - to finish deal with some glance.
11-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I also bought one from this seller.
EMS tracking is very slow in general and also goes through broker, so I am hoping it will show up in the system within 3~5 days. Delivery will take much longer I guess.

Here is the reply I got from the seller after I inquired about this:
-----------------------

Dear Friend:
Yesterday, the project has been sent ( Pentax Mount ). 5 - 7 days you can receive.
If 6 day you don't receive. Please your contact me. I compensate you all of pay.
Thanks!

- wal**mart

-----------------------

Good luck to all who have bought it from this seller.

Last edited by ultraviolet; 11-05-2013 at 06:38 PM.
11-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Sold out.
Seller Wal**mart relisted the last unsold 4 from the previous listing. EOS mount only.
Looks like K mounts were in demand.

Rokinon 8mm F 3 5 HD Fisheye Lens with Removeable Hood for DSLRs HD8M | eBay
11-06-2013, 03:02 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ultraviolet Quote
Seller Wal**mart relisted the last unsold 4 from the previous listing. EOS mount only.
Looks like K mounts were in demand.

Rokinon 8mm F 3 5 HD Fisheye Lens with Removeable Hood for DSLRs HD8M | eBay
Thanks for encouraging words!

You bought K mount, I bought. May be some other persons too (who do not want to be seen as stupid guy who believed in all this ) If he had for sale 20 items, then Pentax mount was on 3-5 lenses maximum.