Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

K-3 Body on Sale at Camera Canada
Posted By: pete-tarmigan, 11-14-2013, 07:59 AM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I noticed that the Camera Canada website shows the K-3 (black) on sale for 10% off the regular price. The body alone is $1229.97 ($70.02 off) and the K-3 (black) with 135mm is $1529.97 ($117.02 off). Shipping is extra.

Welcome to Camera Canada - Canada's dot.com for Cameras
Views: 4,564
11-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you're looking for K-3 deals, I would wait for black friday.
This.
Heh heh, I am banking that Adam has inside knowledge.

11-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #17
Dan
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can't get warranty service in the US unless you buy from a US authorized dealer, so you would have to ship it back to Canada. Saving a few bucks now and having to deal with warranty problems later isn't worth it, IMO. And remember that in the US, you can get the 2-year warranty extension for just $19.95- a steal compared to other manufacturers.

If you're looking for K-3 deals, I would wait for black friday. Without MAP restrictions it's possible that US retailers will offer the camera for less, much like they did with the K-5 II / IIs right after they came out.
In my case I do not have to ship it back to Canada, since I live near the border. All of the best Pentax dealers near me are in Canada. For those who do have to ship it back, I would say that a savings of $100 (plus a free additional warranty year) easily compensates for the remote possibility that you will have to ship the camera back for warranty service. I have purchased lots of Pentax gear, and have never had anything repaired under warranty. I have purchased a few lemons (in the form of de-centered lenses), but I ship them back for a refund rather than having them fixed. Maybe I have been lucky, but my Pentax gear has proven to be very reliable. I wouldn't pay much for the "convenience" of dealing with U.S. warranty repair!!

On the other hand your advice seems sound when you suggest that we wait for Black Friday. That's what I am going to do. Hopefully there will be some decent offers. If not, I will buy from my friends in Canada. I like to take advantage of any and all opportunities to thwart the stupid MAP policy in the U.S. My advice to others: if you want to support the MAP policy then by all means continue to buy at inflated prices from U.S. retailers. If you want to take a stand against this policy, then buy from Canadian retailers, often at a savings of $100 per camera or lens. It's not as scary as you might think. The Canadian dealers are friendly, and by all accounts Canadian service is at least as good as the (rather poor) service available in the U.S.

Dan
11-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
You can't get warranty service in the US unless you buy from a US authorized dealer, so you would have to ship it back to Canada.
I pick up and drop off at my mail box, no matter where it comes from. You do pay more postage. It's a gamble. You get a cheaper price, but it may not end up being cheaper. I'm guessing the odds are on your side with the cheaper price, but that's how Insurance Companies make their money. Some people would like to pay more and know the cost, as opposed to paying less, and having to pay more. If you're one of those people, go ahead and pay more, it's about peace of mind, and i some relatively unlikely circumstances, paying more money.
11-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If you're one of those people, go ahead and pay more, it's about peace of mind, and i some relatively unlikely circumstances, paying more money.
As you know, normhead, I recently bought a very expensive piece of photographic equipment directly from Japan that will have to be shipped all the way back there for any warranty service (and that is a lot more than US-Canada shipping), but the savings of 40% off the North American price was/is more than worth the risk. This is kind of the way it used to be when the Canadian dollar was weak and US prices (at B&H or Adorama) were 40% less than Canadian retailers...

With camera prices now being equal, or less, up here compared to the big NYC outfits, it was a no brainer to buy my K-3 from a Canadian retailer. Got it days before the US folks, and warranty and shipping are no looming concern in the back of my mind. Saving maybe $100 off a $1300 purchase would be a little harder to justify if I was in the US...

12-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
In canada always check these guys first, it's a division of Carmen's which has 5 stores in the Cambridge to Hamilton area.
items in Prodigital2000 store on eBay!

Their current price for a K-3 is $1199.

On the other hand we've also had excellent service from Camera Canada, they're a bit more mom-and pop, but I like that.
Thanks for reminding me to check Prodigital2000. I have purchased from them before and offered them $1135 (US) for the K3. They accepted! Free shipping too.
Merry Christmas to me!