Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
K-5 II - $749 at B&H
Posted By: Adam, 11-19-2013, 10:54 AM

B&H has just dropped the price of the K-5 II to a very competitive $749:

Pentax K-5 II Digital SLR Camera 12016 B&H Photo Video

Bundle lenses using the special link on the page above and save even more!
-50mm DA bundle: $866 total ($130 rebate)
-35mm DA bundle: $896 total ($70 rebate)

Name:  Pentax_K-5_II_891517[1].jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  16.8 KB

Views: 2,482
11-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not quite at my price point, but we'll see where it leads. I have a few prices in mind for K-5 variants, K30 and (unlikely) K-3 - we shall see when I flinch but I'll wait for Cyber Monday (if I can ).
11-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Not quite at my price point, but we'll see where it leads. I have a few prices in mind for K-5 variants, K30 and (unlikely) K-3 - we shall see when I flinch but I'll wait for Cyber Monday (if I can ).
There might be some better deals But if you look at the value that the camera delivers, this is already a steal IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #4

Looking forward to a possible steal on a K-5iis on Black Friday!

11-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
mee
Site Supporter

Yes, it can go lower.
11-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I want a K5IIs ~500 bucks...THAT would be a steal :-O
11-20-2013, 12:12 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
danny09--it might happen on B&H..but not the physical stores...The people I go through to get my cameras did not even reduce the k5 when they where being phased out..As soon as the K5II where put on to the market they took the k5 off the shelf and put the new k5II up..
And you know what if I see the K5II's going for $500 for the body--well I'm getting 2..."why" I would put my 70-200 on one and either 24-70 or the 85mm 1.4.
11-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #8
mee
Site Supporter

I was thinking 600-650 range... IF this goes for 500 on BF then *I* will buy one too... even though I'm not really in the market. haha

11-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bauldrick Quote
danny09--it might happen on B&H..but not the physical stores...The people I go through to get my cameras did not even reduce the k5 when they where being phased out..As soon as the K5II where put on to the market they took the k5 off the shelf and put the new k5II up..
And you know what if I see the K5II's going for $500 for the body--well I'm getting 2..."why" I would put my 70-200 on one and either 24-70 or the 85mm 1.4.
Aussie mate
do you have black friday deals Down Under just like in US? Might get a better price on the K5II that time!

I understand Ricoh needs to make money selling cameras but right now they are asking waaay too much for old and outdated technology when the likes of Nikon,Canon and Sony are far more affordable with much better value for money.
K3 needs to sell for 850 bucks and K5IIs for 650 for it to be tempting to the masses. I was visiting a Best Buy store and chanced upon a Sony Alpha-77 there, it seemed really very good. Same story with the Nikon D7100.
K10D at the price I bought in 2008 was a value for money (~500) deal. Not sure I can say that for K5IIs or even K3. I am not complaining but just humble observations. I really want to purchase the K3 but I just can not convince myself its worth 1300. I can get a FA 31 mm for that money and some more
11-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
It would. But it's also sad to see Pentax cameras lose so much of their value so quickly, and now I'm starting to see why MAP makes so much sense for every other manufacturer. How can Pentax afford to sell a K-5 IIs for $500 when the K-50 is $619? Doesn't make sense.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
How can Pentax afford to sell a K-5 IIs for $500 when the K-50 is $619? Doesn't make sense.
That's a fact, huge drops are less likely given more bodies below the K-5 II that cannot all drop at once - not if we want Ricoh to profit from their investment! My priority is the II first (and I'm going by %off not $$ actual) then perhaps a K-30 final scouring; any shocking deals on the IIs or the K-3 would be less expected but would catch my eye.

It's surprising to see the K-30 still around though Adorama and B&H seem to have emptied that part of their warehouse. One last pull of psychadelic stock from overseas might finish them off, especially if they drop to K-01 prices at the end - I see a few sites with silver-grey and green K-30s for example, but prices are not down (yet).
11-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
That's a fact, huge drops are less likely given more bodies below the K-5 II that cannot all drop at once - not if we want Ricoh to profit from their investment! My priority is the II first (and I'm going by %off not $$ actual) then perhaps a K-30 final scouring; any shocking deals on the IIs or the K-3 would be less expected but would catch my eye.

It's surprising to see the K-30 still around though Adorama and B&H seem to have emptied that part of their warehouse. One last pull of psychadelic stock from overseas might finish them off, especially if they drop to K-01 prices at the end - I see a few sites with silver-grey and green K-30s for example, but prices are not down (yet).
I don't think the K-30 will ever drop as low as the K-01. And it's been out of production for a while- we're not in an overstock situation like with the K-01.

Adam

11-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #13
mee
Site Supporter

The camera bodies are throw-away.. like computers.. you use them for a few years and then toss them. The lenses are where the value is located..
11-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #14

Aussie mate
do you have black friday deals Down Under just like in US? Might get a better price on the K5II that time!

I understand Ricoh needs to make money selling cameras but right now they are asking waaay too much for old and outdated technology when the likes of Nikon,Canon and Sony are far more affordable with much better value for money.
K3 needs to sell for 850 bucks and K5IIs for 650 for it to be tempting to the masses. I was visiting a Best Buy store and chanced upon a Sony Alpha-77 there, it seemed really very good. Same story with the Nikon D7100.
K10D at the price I bought in 2008 was a value for money (~500) deal. Not sure I can say that for K5IIs or even K3. I am not complaining but just humble observations. I really want to purchase the K3 but I just can not convince myself its worth 1300. I can get a FA 31 mm for that money and some more
hiya,
We don't get black friday specials in Australia--Remember we have "An Australian Tax" where everthing from over-seas gets a huge markup put on it...Adobe does it--so Richo is doing it to.
If i buy via b and h I only save approx $50 (after shipping) so I don't save much.
And again, when they decide to release the k3 in Australia--their going to pull the k5II off the shelf--without reducing the price of the k5II stock...

bauldrick
11-21-2013, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The camera bodies are throw-away.. like computers.. you use them for a few years and then toss them. The lenses are where the value is located..
I would like to agree with and encourage this practice by you (and others).
P.S. any chance you could PM your location to me before your next toss?