Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

K-3 @ Amazon for $1220 from Amazon itself...
Posted By: theperception2008, 11-24-2013, 08:40 AM

Attached is the link below:

Amazon.com: Pentax K-3 Pentax SLR 24MP SLR Camera with 3.2-Inch TFT LCD- Body Only: Camera & Photo

I hope a few members will be able to take advantage of this. I wish I could :-(

Views: 4,202
11-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
That's correct and Amazon has already started charging sales tax for every state. They've been doing it for a few months now.
Huh? I buy stuff from Amazon weekly and i've never payed sales tax. I live in Maine.

11-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote
Huh? I buy stuff from Amazon weekly and i've never payed sales tax. I live in Maine.
Well I guess it is only certain states then. I did read of a rule that if the vendor had any type of facility in a state that the tax has to be collected. I do know that Amazon has a couple warehouses and distribution centers in Pennsylvania, so that must be it.

Does Maine have regular sales tax on purchased goods in stores?
11-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

That's correct and Amazon has already started charging sales tax for every state. They've been doing it for a few months now.
Not correct. They charge tax if they're shipping a product from a warehouse in your state. Some states they may have to charge sales tax on everything. I think I've gotten charged sales tax 2 or 3 times in the last 2 years.

But remember, you are still legally obligated to pay the sales tax (in this case it's called "Use Tax", even if Amazon doesn't charge it (unless of course you live in one of the 5 states with no sales tax ).
11-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Not correct. They charge tax if they're shipping a product from a warehouse in your state. Some states they may have to charge sales tax on everything. I think I've gotten charged sales tax 2 or 3 times in the last 2 years.

But remember, you are still legally obligated to pay the sales tax (in this case it's called "Use Tax", even if Amazon doesn't charge it (unless of course you live in one of the 5 states with no sales tax ).
I guess you didn't bother to read the post I made above yours........

11-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I've heard that new laws are coming that will require large online stores (i.e. those that go over some predefined sales threshold) to collect sales tax from everyone in the future. So much for those savings!
If that happens, I'll be driving to NH more often to visit my brother.
11-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess you didn't bother to read the post I made above yours........
I did. It didnt mention use tax, and it was an "I guess maybe" thing. Sincerest apologies if you find my response redundant or something.

Btw: even crossing into New Hampshire doesn't excuse you from use tax, sadly.
11-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote

They reached an agreement with MA to charge tax no matter where it ships from. Our nickname isn't "Taxachusetts" for no reason.
11-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Well I guess it is only certain states then. I did read of a rule that if the vendor had any type of facility in a state that the tax has to be collected. I do know that Amazon has a couple warehouses and distribution centers in Pennsylvania, so that must be it.

Does Maine have regular sales tax on purchased goods in stores?
Yes, 5.5%. Maine is the most heavily taxed state in the USA.

11-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Yes, 5.5%. Maine is the most heavily taxed state in the USA.
Are you sure? Washington's sales tax rate is 8.7% but we don't have an income tax.
11-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Are you sure? Washington's sales tax rate is 8.7% but we don't have an income tax.
We were as of about 5 years ago and our taxes have only gone up since then.

Sales Tax - 5.5%
Lodging & Prepared Food - 8%
Car Rental - 10%

Income tax- there are 4 levels in the marginal tax brackets for income tax, I don't know the exact numbers but anything over $19,000 is 8.5%.
Excise tax- every year when we register our cars we have to pay excise tax. When your $25,000 car is brand new this costs like $800-$1,000. And goes down a hundred or 2 every year and then flattens out after like 4 years.

Property tax rates vary but generally speaking, anywhere near the Cities, it costs around $3,000 per year in property taxes.

Also keep these percentages in perspective. If 8% doesn't sound like a lot, go to salary.com and look at what jobs pay here. We have some of the worst paying jobs.

For example, RNs make like $50-60k per year here. in Boston they make upwards of $100k.
11-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #26
Pentaxian

in Boston they make upwards of $100k.
I've got to go there then...
11-26-2013, 03:51 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

We were as of about 5 years ago and our taxes have only gone up since then.

Sales Tax - 5.5%
Lodging & Prepared Food - 8%
Car Rental - 10%

Income tax- there are 4 levels in the marginal tax brackets for income tax, I don't know the exact numbers but anything over $19,000 is 8.5%.
Excise tax- every year when we register our cars we have to pay excise tax. When your $25,000 car is brand new this costs like $800-$1,000. And goes down a hundred or 2 every year and then flattens out after like 4 years.

Property tax rates vary but generally speaking, anywhere near the Cities, it costs around $3,000 per year in property taxes.

Also keep these percentages in perspective. If 8% doesn't sound like a lot, go to salary.com and look at what jobs pay here. We have some of the worst paying jobs.

For example, RNs make like $50-60k per year here. in Boston they make upwards of $100k.
I think Alabama's got y'all beat for taxes combined with lousy RN pay. I have 7 years of experience and make mid 40s. Our sales tax is 11% in the city. 10% in the unincorporated county. Add 1% for prepared food. 5% income tax on everything over $3k. Oh and we tax groceries. Yay! for regressive taxation on the backs of the working poor.
11-26-2013, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

These 7 States Tax You the Hardest
Might be relevant.

As for high vs low income locations... Do a good cost of living comparison. If there's one thing I've learned doing contract work, it's to always check cost of living. A 100k/year contract in manhattan means considerably less take-home pay than an 80k contract in Tennessee, where there is no state income tax (except on some large investments) and the cost of living is way lower. I've seen people get excited about a big salary in LA or Seattle and move there only to discover very quickly that they're having a hard time making ends meet.

Ideally you find something you can do remotely, get hired in a high pay area and live somewhere with low cost of living.
11-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #29
Emperor and Senpai

I love living in Tennessee, though our sales tax is high.
11-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I love living in Tennessee, though our sales tax is high.
I liked it, for sure. Had a fairly short contract in a suburb of Knoxville. Rented a townhouse in Alcoa for about $600/month, and had a 5 minute drive to the office every day, with the Smokey mountains in the distance.