Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
Pentax K-3 body $996 - (Mod Note: Read comments before jumping on this!)
Posted By: si_film, 12-01-2013, 04:23 AM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

On ebay from seller "6ave"

$996.45, includes a few cheapie accessories.

Pentax K 3 Digital SLR Camera Black Body 16GB Package | eBay

Last edited by si_film; 12-01-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Views: 10,006
12-01-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Man that profit margin must be tight... but make it up with volume, and plenty of traffic.
I didn't expect it to come in this low so soon, but I feel good with the II deal so I'm OK ... I'm OK... really, I'm OK
12-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Man that profit margin must be tight... but make it up with volume, and plenty of traffic.
I didn't expect it to come in this low so soon, but I feel good with the II deal so I'm OK ... I'm OK... really, I'm OK
At this rate it could possibly be around 750-800 this time next year... esp if Ricoh releases the 'larger' camera before that time..
12-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Be sure to take a look at the ebay feedback before ordering. Also their reseller ratings rating is quite low. At this price it is probably a grey market camera that will not have it's warranty honored.

12-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
StR

QuoteOriginally posted by si_film Quote
On ebay from seller "6ave"

$996.45, includes a few cheapie accessories.
Pentax K 3 Digital SLR Camera Black Body 16GB Package | eBay
It looks like it is the same store that has very low scores on resellerratings.com:
Sixth Avenue Electronics / 6th Ave Reviews - 6ave.com Ratings at ResellerRatings
Caveat emptor.
12-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by apisto Quote
Be sure to take a look at the ebay feedback before ordering. Also their reseller ratings rating is quite low. At this price it is probably a grey market camera that will not have it's warranty honored.
I think the ebay feedback at 99.1% is fine, you'll have nitwits leaving negative feedback because priced dropped after they bought something as an example.
With ebay buyer protection it's easy enough to return if you don't get what you expect.
12-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Put in their zip code in the Ricoh authorized dealer search and they don't come up.
I suspect these will be split up lens kit boxes.
Do they also have 18-135s for sale in a separate listing? Edit http://bit.ly/1hqWTLN
I will wait for full warranty auth dealer unit myself.
YMMV

12-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by si_film Quote
I think the ebay feedback at 99.1% is fine, you'll have nitwits leaving negative feedback because priced dropped after they bought something as an example.
With ebay buyer protection it's easy enough to return if you don't get what you expect.
I agree that 99.1% is not terrible. My point was the specifics of some of the complaints. Such as cameras sold being grey market, so the customer was not able to get warranty service. This would be a concern that could crop up for the unwary after the return period has ended.
12-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wouldn't buy this camera.... rather pay $200 more and know all was legit...
12-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
I wouldn't buy this camera.... rather pay $200 more and know all was legit...
Me neither. I want a better deal than manufacturer's suggested price, but what is the old saying "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true".
12-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
Pentaxian

It's probably gray market and originally came from Ricoh as a camera+lens kit. Quotes below taken from the EBay ad.

"6AVE will provide a warranty of 1-year parts and 90-days for labor and defects for new products in any case where the manufacturer will not do so."

"Please be aware that while all items we sell are brand new and never used, there are instances where we deliver the camera body (and box contents) in a box which originally included the camera and the lens."
12-01-2013, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #12
Inactive Account

Stingy people pay twice.
12-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So this listing comes with generic charger and battery instead of OEM?
12-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just don't be surprised if they try to "sell" you the battery, charger and product manual all separately - or when it suddenly becomes unavailable when you refuse to buy these items. Been there, done that, and told the salesman to buzz off.

Although I ordered one a couple days ago from Amazon, their prices kept getting lower as different vendors began to advertise there. So I called B&H to see if they would match prices and they did. I've dealt with B&H many times with never a hitch, so I cancelled the Amazon order and placed it with B&H, plus adding on the 2 year extended warranty (a lesson learned from my K5) for $19. I don't feel bad cancelling the other order as it hadn't shown up as shipped yet, and the vendor was one I've never heard of.

BTW: B&H only does price matching over the phone or via email. The do not do it via the instant chat feature of their website.
12-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToyTank Quote
So this listing comes with generic charger and battery instead of OEM?
Where do you see "instead of", it says in the box all the pentax items that come in the K-3 box. The battery and charger are cheapie extras.
Let's no try to spread unfactual information.

You guys have to understand the ebay buyer protection feature. It's easy to return if you don't get what you expect.
I bet this price jumps up on 12/3 after the MAP restriction is back in place.