Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Topaz Star Effects: 50% off
Posted By: Adam, 12-11-2013, 01:16 PM

Take 50% off Topaz's latest photo editing plugin, Star Effects. Just $15 until the end of the month:

Topaz Star Effects - beautiful star and lighting effects.

Name:  topaz.png
Views: 525
Size:  428.1 KB

Views: 1,660
12-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or you can buy something like this for 10 bucks less and get all the 1970's roller-disco goodness of genuine starred point sources without bogging down your PS install with yet another plugin that unless you are on staff for Dynamite Magazine, you'll use maybe once in the next year.

Last edited by dcshooter; 12-11-2013 at 11:47 PM.
12-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Does it come with hair like that?

On a serious note....anyone ever use Star Effects? Thoughts?
12-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thoughts? ..tacky maybe? It looks nothing of 'natural' to me.

I get the impression Topaz Labs is really going after the novice photographers business... so we see more gimmicky software from them..

12-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Thoughts? ..tacky maybe? It looks nothing of 'natural' to me.

I get the impression Topaz Labs is really going after the novice photographers business... so we see more gimmicky software from them..
Oh I agree. I was just curious to see if anyone would come out of the woodwork and proclaim how it makes ordinary lenses have starbursts like the legendary smc 15 Limited

And regarding Topaz, I can't speak for their entire suite, but I have DeNoise and Clarity, and both I find to be nothing short of outstanding.

-Heie
12-12-2013, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I've expressed my opinion on the Topaz plugins here before which is that they can be great tools, but the presets are set horribly, horribly too strong, and that almost all the sliders in their plugins work best in the 0-10% range.

I think this definitely reflects marketing towards novices who want to see their plugins "doing something" and have not yet developed a sense of proportion when it comes to post-processing. Anecdotally, I've noticed that most of the HDR atrocities I see on Flickr and other photo sites have been processed using Topaz, usually on a preset.
12-13-2013, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #7
mee
Pentaxian

Yes. I see a lot of really over processed example photographs on the Topaz Facebook page getting many 'likes' and being shown as what their software can do. I cringe because a lot of them look like a hot mess... a majority simply from overcooking them; A lot of interesting photographs shared there (or rather would be if they werent overcooked).. but like you say, a lot of the presets are jammed on or near max level to SHOW something. People don't seem to back those sliders down..

Now we have a special software to add star effects to photographs.. this means, on top of incredibly overcooked hdr/contrasty/saturated effects, we're going to see a bazillion fake starburst effects now too. hehe Why don't they go the distance and create a 'fuzzy bunny stickers' effect to stick onto the photographs too.

Last edited by mee; 12-13-2013 at 09:08 PM.
12-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
hehe Why don't they go the distance and create a 'fuzzy bunny stickers' effect to stick onto the photographs too.
I love it!

In all seriousness, my girlfriend's phone has a camera app that actually has a function like that built in.

12-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Or you can buy something like this for 10 bucks less and get all the 1970's roller-disco goodness of genuine starred point sources without bogging down your PS install with yet another plugin that unless you are on staff for Dynamite Magazine, you'll use maybe once in the next year.
I thought I was the only one in the world who read that magazine.
12-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I admit nothing!
QuoteOriginally posted by Kmounter Quote
I thought I was the only one in the world who read that magazine.
12-18-2013, 12:04 AM   #11
Site Supporter

I thought I'd try it for some fun- hey, only $15... You can tone down the effect and alter it in many ways, including selectively eliminating stars and adding subtle rainbow and corona ring effects. Interesting, anyway.

original:

Stared-up:
12-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
I thought I'd try it for some fun- hey, only $15... You can tone down the effect and alter it in many ways, including selectively eliminating stars and adding subtle rainbow and corona ring effects. Interesting, anyway.

original:

Stared-up:
That's a pretty cool effect- it might work really well in conjunction with some water droplets on those leaves!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
Pentaxian

The problem is is that it put those stars exactly where they wouldn't be - the blurred-out bokeh areas¹ - when where they really would be is on the strongly defined point sources - in this case, the reflections on the front leaves!

(1) - unless they were true distant point sources, i.e. the sun or stars. Since this is a daytime photo, the sun would be the only such source available, so you would almost never see more than one starburst in a bokeh area.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's a pretty cool effect- it might work really well in conjunction with some water droplets on those leaves!
12-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
The problem is is that it put those stars exactly where they wouldn't be - the blurred-out bokeh areas¹ - when where they really would be is on the strongly defined point sources - in this case, the reflections on the front leaves!

(1) - unless they were true distant point sources, i.e. the sun or stars. Since this is a daytime photo, the sun would be the only such source available, so you would almost never see more than one starburst in a bokeh area.
It can be worked with. I could/should have removed all but one star on the one droplet here, but this is a another quick example...

12-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #15
mee
Pentaxian

I think the image would look a TON better without the cheesy starbursts.. it looks like photoshop shapes layered into the image to me.. but it is your photo I accept.