Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
Topaz Star Effects: 50% off
Posted By: Adam, 12-11-2013, 01:16 PM

Take 50% off Topaz's latest photo editing plugin, Star Effects. Just $15 until the end of the month:

Topaz Star Effects - beautiful star and lighting effects.

Name:  topaz.png
Views: 525
Size:  428.1 KB

Views: 1,660
12-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,610
Or you can buy something like this for 10 bucks less and get all the 1970's roller-disco goodness of genuine starred point sources without bogging down your PS install with yet another plugin that unless you are on staff for Dynamite Magazine, you'll use maybe once in the next year.


Last edited by dcshooter; 12-11-2013 at 11:47 PM.
12-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Heie's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 960
Does it come with hair like that?

On a serious note....anyone ever use Star Effects? Thoughts?
12-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,922
Thoughts? ..tacky maybe? It looks nothing of 'natural' to me.

I get the impression Topaz Labs is really going after the novice photographers business... so we see more gimmicky software from them..

12-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Heie's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 960
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Thoughts? ..tacky maybe? It looks nothing of 'natural' to me.

I get the impression Topaz Labs is really going after the novice photographers business... so we see more gimmicky software from them..
Oh I agree. I was just curious to see if anyone would come out of the woodwork and proclaim how it makes ordinary lenses have starbursts like the legendary smc 15 Limited

And regarding Topaz, I can't speak for their entire suite, but I have DeNoise and Clarity, and both I find to be nothing short of outstanding.

-Heie
12-12-2013, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,610
I've expressed my opinion on the Topaz plugins here before which is that they can be great tools, but the presets are set horribly, horribly too strong, and that almost all the sliders in their plugins work best in the 0-10% range.

I think this definitely reflects marketing towards novices who want to see their plugins "doing something" and have not yet developed a sense of proportion when it comes to post-processing. Anecdotally, I've noticed that most of the HDR atrocities I see on Flickr and other photo sites have been processed using Topaz, usually on a preset.
12-13-2013, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #7
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,922
Yes. I see a lot of really over processed example photographs on the Topaz Facebook page getting many 'likes' and being shown as what their software can do. I cringe because a lot of them look like a hot mess... a majority simply from overcooking them; A lot of interesting photographs shared there (or rather would be if they werent overcooked).. but like you say, a lot of the presets are jammed on or near max level to SHOW something. People don't seem to back those sliders down..

Now we have a special software to add star effects to photographs.. this means, on top of incredibly overcooked hdr/contrasty/saturated effects, we're going to see a bazillion fake starburst effects now too. hehe Why don't they go the distance and create a 'fuzzy bunny stickers' effect to stick onto the photographs too.

Last edited by mee; 12-13-2013 at 09:08 PM.
12-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,610
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
hehe Why don't they go the distance and create a 'fuzzy bunny stickers' effect to stick onto the photographs too.
I love it!



In all seriousness, my girlfriend's phone has a camera app that actually has a function like that built in.

12-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles metro
Posts: 17
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Or you can buy something like this for 10 bucks less and get all the 1970's roller-disco goodness of genuine starred point sources without bogging down your PS install with yet another plugin that unless you are on staff for Dynamite Magazine, you'll use maybe once in the next year.
I thought I was the only one in the world who read that magazine.
12-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #10
Pentaxian
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,610
I admit nothing!
QuoteOriginally posted by Kmounter Quote
I thought I was the only one in the world who read that magazine.
12-18-2013, 12:04 AM   #11
Site Supporter
shiner's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N GA USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,458
I thought I'd try it for some fun- hey, only $15... You can tone down the effect and alter it in many ways, including selectively eliminating stars and adding subtle rainbow and corona ring effects. Interesting, anyway.

original:


Stared-up:
12-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,280
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
I thought I'd try it for some fun- hey, only $15... You can tone down the effect and alter it in many ways, including selectively eliminating stars and adding subtle rainbow and corona ring effects. Interesting, anyway.

original:


Stared-up:
That's a pretty cool effect- it might work really well in conjunction with some water droplets on those leaves!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
Pentaxian
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,610
The problem is is that it put those stars exactly where they wouldn't be - the blurred-out bokeh areas¹ - when where they really would be is on the strongly defined point sources - in this case, the reflections on the front leaves!


(1) - unless they were true distant point sources, i.e. the sun or stars. Since this is a daytime photo, the sun would be the only such source available, so you would almost never see more than one starburst in a bokeh area.


QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's a pretty cool effect- it might work really well in conjunction with some water droplets on those leaves!
12-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #14
Site Supporter
shiner's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N GA USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,458
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
The problem is is that it put those stars exactly where they wouldn't be - the blurred-out bokeh areas¹ - when where they really would be is on the strongly defined point sources - in this case, the reflections on the front leaves!


(1) - unless they were true distant point sources, i.e. the sun or stars. Since this is a daytime photo, the sun would be the only such source available, so you would almost never see more than one starburst in a bokeh area.
It can be worked with. I could/should have removed all but one star on the one droplet here, but this is a another quick example...

12-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #15
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,922
I think the image would look a TON better without the cheesy starbursts.. it looks like photoshop shapes layered into the image to me.. but it is your photo I accept.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
effects, pentax deals, star, topaz
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Topaz B&W Effects - 50% off ($29.99) Adam Pentax Price Watch 1 11-19-2013 11:04 AM
Topaz ReMask: 50% off promo! Adam Pentax Price Watch 10 10-30-2013 01:17 AM
30% off Topaz BW Effects (through 4/21) Adam Pentax Price Watch 4 04-19-2013 09:14 AM
(Black Friday) 50% off @ Topaz Labs HockeyDad Pentax Price Watch 20 12-01-2012 04:12 PM
30% Off Topaz B&W Effects Adam Pentax Price Watch 3 04-21-2012 10:57 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:58 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top