Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
DX0 Pro 9 at B and H
Posted By: Mikesul, 12-24-2013, 05:16 PM

B and H has the standard edition through December 26 at $69. That is $30 less than buying directly from DX0 whose special ends on the 25th. The regular price is supposed to be $169 - I have never checked that.

DXO Optics Pro 9 Standard Edition 100340 B&H Photo Video

Views: 1,177
12-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow - great software at a great price! I've never seen it offered this low.
12-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes. I was debating whether to go with the $99 offer but was hesitant to put that much money into another program. When I saw this I grabbed it immediately. I can't wait for the K3 profiles to be ready for DNG in January.
12-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Dxo profiles are already done, I use it everyday.

David

12-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by David&karen Quote
Dxo profiles are already done, I use it everyday.

David
But aren't they still waiting to release the DNG profiles? i know they already have the PEF working.
12-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any reason to get this if you already use Lightroom 5? Looks cool, but I don't know if it's cool enough to spend the money.
12-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That is a tough question. I decided to take a chance after playing with the demo a while. Output from Lightroom is generally just fine but I think involves more fiddling than this will once it is properly set up for my work flow. I will need to work with it awhile to be sure. So far I do not see anything spectacular except that it will work nicely with PEF files now and LR5 still seems to be having difficulty with some WB situations. It may just be me with the new camera. It is not clear to me how much better the DXO lens/camera modules are (if at all) than the LR profiles. The implication is that they are superior. They are in that they are applied automatically but that is a small advantage. Sorry for the not very helpful ramble. Still experimenting.

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Any reason to get this if you already use Lightroom 5? Looks cool, but I don't know if it's cool enough to spend the money.
12-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The DxO lens/camera modules are leaps and bounds above what Lightroom offers - Lightroom lens profiles only take care of lens distortion.

Features | www.dxo.com

12-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Stan. That is what I was hoping to hear. I think I am seeing that already but I need to run some more challenging pictures through to be sure.

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
The DxO lens/camera modules are leaps and bounds above what Lightroom offers - Lightroom lens profiles only take care of lens distortion.

Features | www.dxo.com
12-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Thanks, Stan. That is what I was hoping to hear. I think I am seeing that already but I need to run some more challenging pictures through to be sure.
You will find the biggest visible difference with the less than top of the line lenses like the DA 16-45, DA 50-200, DA 55-300 etc. You won't see that much of a drastic difference with DA* lenses but you can still see some correction.

Pay attention to the detail of the image as well as the distortion correction.

Also since I've ungraded to v9, I find the highlight recovery very good along with the smart lighting feature. In addition, the new noise reduction feature is one of the best, but I have found that the "prime" NR is only really needed for ISO 6400 and above - anything below that I just leave it on "high" and sometimes even back off on the slider a bit.
12-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #11

For this price I had to give it a go. I normally use LR5 but always looking for something different. I have enough in PP programs to buy a nice lens
12-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote

Features | www.dxo.com
LR lens profiles take care of vignetting too automatically..

one can create a preset to take care of these and chromatic aberration (if it is a common amount) among other issues..
01-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I've been using DxO Optics Pro for four years now and their RAW conversions are the best when it comes to shadows and noise elimination. That being said, I maintain that they need to improve their extreme highlight recovery algorithms, but since many of us underexpose by 1/3 or 1/2 stop anyway, I'd rather they be experts in shadows and noise. To wit: I don't worry about shooting at ISO 6400 with my D800 anymore.

Michael
01-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #14
Forum Member

DxO seems to have their software on sale on their own website right now.

UNTIL Jan 31, 2014... prices are all USD

Optics Pro 9 Standard - from $169 -> $99

FilmPack 4 - From $79 -> $49

ViewPoint - From $79 -> $49

https://shop.dxo.com/login.php?CountryShow=International