Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pentax WG-3 on Sale
Posted By: Adam, 01-03-2014, 07:07 PM

It looks like the WG-3 will soon be discontinued, so it's on sale for a low $199 at B&H:

wg-3| B&H Photo Video

Views: 2,796
01-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #2

Do you think the wg-3 is being replaced with a newer model, or is Pentax going to stop making an underwater camera?
01-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Takumar55 Quote
Do you think the wg-3 is being replaced with a newer model, or is Pentax going to stop making an underwater camera?
Pentax seems pretty dedicated to its outdoor branding, so I'm sure the WG-3 will be replaced by a newer model as is customary at the start of each year. The replacement may bear the Ricoh logo, though, but that's just me speculating.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pentax seems pretty dedicated to its outdoor branding, so I'm sure the WG-3 will be replaced by a newer model as is customary at the start of each year. The replacement may bear the Ricoh logo, though, but that's just me speculating.

Thanks, Adam. wanted to make sure this wasn't the last chance to get one.

01-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Takumar55 Quote
Thanks, Adam. wanted to make sure this wasn't the last chance to get one.
Probably not- but the new camera will likely start at a price $150-200 higher than this sale price.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
If the new camera were to combine the GR sensor with WG3 ruggedness, I'd gladly pony up the extra money.
01-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Piscator Quote
If the new camera were to combine the GR sensor with WG3 ruggedness, I'd gladly pony up the extra money.
Yup that would be awesome- but it's never going to happen in a consumer camera.

Adam

01-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #8

Yup that would be awesome- but it's never going to happen in a consumer camera.

Sir, you have busted my bubble, because I am eagerly anticipating that exact development. Why do you say it is never going to happen? Seriously--What are the hurdles?

01-04-2014, 09:27 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The key hurdles are price and size. Apsc sensors are expensive and they require a much larger lens and body. The target audience for these compacts doesn't want to pay more than a couple hundred.

Adam

01-04-2014, 10:54 PM   #10

The key hurdles are price and size. Apsc sensors are expensive and they require a much larger lens and body. The target audience for these compacts doesn't want to pay more than a couple hundred.

But then the GR is doing rather well at the $600+ pricepoint. I've never had a GR to hold in my hand, so I'm not sure how much larger it is than the WG, but I can't imagine it's that much larger. What I'm wondering is, how much more would it cost to at least weatherproof the GR? Yes, in the best of all worlds, I'd like to get a GR that I could take underwater, but how about just being able to take it out in the rain? Throw a few rubber seals on the thing and charge me $700+, and I'm sold. I truly believe many others would be likewise.
01-04-2014, 11:34 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Piscator Quote
But then the GR is doing rather well at the $600+ pricepoint. I've never had a GR to hold in my hand, so I'm not sure how much larger it is than the WG, but I can't imagine it's that much larger. What I'm wondering is, how much more would it cost to at least weatherproof the GR? Yes, in the best of all worlds, I'd like to get a GR that I could take underwater, but how about just being able to take it out in the rain? Throw a few rubber seals on the thing and charge me $700+, and I'm sold. I truly believe many others would be likewise.
At $600 it would definitely be doable. But the GR doesn't have the 5x zoom that the WG-3 has, for instance, which is otherwise a key selling point.

Adam

01-05-2014, 04:24 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Wow, great price on the WG-3.

The difference in size between the WG and GR sensor is huge, I can't imagine they would put an APS-C sensor into an underwater camera and call it a WG-4 or -5, since people in that market expect to have a zoom lens. Even hoping for a 1/1.7" sensor in the successor might be optimistic.
01-05-2014, 05:43 PM   #13

Ah, yes, the zoom. You might be right on that one. But who can say until it is tried? The public might surprise us!
01-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #14

Pentax, if you're listening....

Pentax, if you're listening...

My WG-4 Wishlist (in order of perceived plausibility):
- Better IQ overall
- Better battery life
- Better ISO performance
- Aperture Priority (ala Olympus TG-2)
- RAW files
- ... a slightly bigger sensor?

The Olympus TG-2 (or whatever becomes its successor) is giving a run for my money as I wait to see what the next gen of compact waterproof cameras offer...
01-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #15
Site Supporter

OK, I couldn't resist the GPS model for $199. Of the GPS models, only the purple is available at $199, whereas the green costs more. Wife said it looked fine in the pictures ...

Well it came in today .... and man .... it is really, really bright metallic purple ... depending on the lighting and the angle, almost pink! Let this be a warning to potential buyers who are insecure about their manly image! No problem here, I can carry this a lot easier than a purple or pink K-r.

Maybe I can get more people to smile for my snapshots, instead of shying away from my big black K-5 and DA*55 lens!

Build quality is excellent, better than it looks in the pictures, and better feeling than the wimpy WG-10 at Target.

Last edited by Tanzer; 01-10-2014 at 04:51 PM.