Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
K3(Body Only) at From Amazon itself $1059
Posted By: danny09, 01-15-2014, 12:16 AM

Amazon.com: Pentax K-3 Pentax SLR 24MP SLR Camera with 3.2-Inch TFT LCD- Body Only: Camera & Photo
Has Ricoh dropped MAP prices?Amazon itself seems to be crossing swords with Ricoh Imaging on MAP

Views: 6,835
01-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's not a bad price, especially now that the awesome B&H deal has sold out. I think Amazon likes to bend the rules at times...their problem not ours!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well looks like it has come down even more to $1106 at the moment from Amazon proper. Other retailers on Amazon like Electronic Basket/DavisMAX are selling body only for 1082 USD.
That makes buying the BHPhoto bundle of K3+50mm+BG-5 Grip for 1300.00 bucks a fairly good deal.
01-19-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dropped down to $1078.00 now.This is hilarious. Amazon proper is selling k5iiS for $ 975.00 and K3 for 1078 body only. Which one would folks buy? K3 for me

01-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Its tempting, but then I would need another camera bag to hold it and all the new lenses I would have to buy for it. Nope, can't afford it even at that low price.
01-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Looks like it's down to $1059. Not bad at all!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Wow - if it drops to $825 it will be equivalent to the killer deal BH offered for the k-3, grip, lens, memory card plus 4%

Yup - I got that one! Still -- this is about equivalent to the current BH offer of k-3 pus lens plus memory card plus 4%, and a good deal.

01-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tram57 Quote
Wow - if it drops to $825 it will be equivalent to the killer deal BH offered for the k-3, grip, lens, memory card plus 4%

Yup - I got that one! Still -- this is about equivalent to the current BH offer of k-3 pus lens plus memory card plus 4%, and a good deal.
Actually even if Amazon itself sold the K3 body only for anything more than $875.00 it would be a bad deal for us. Why? Amazon(1050)+Taxes (California baby ) means it is impossible to beat the BHPhotovideo Deal. USD 875 is ridiculously less amount for K3 brand new but if Amazon gotta beat BHPhoto then it has to drop that low.
I think Amazon realizes that california constitutes an important market for electronics goods. To compete with Photo gear giants like BHPhotovideo it has to 'discount' an item enough that it matches/beats BHPhotovideo prices.
We'll see....
01-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wonder sometimes if the price adjustment at Amazon is a manual operation by someone in an Amazon office, someone at Pentax/Ricoh, or if it's an automated algorithm that takes into account wholesale prices, current sales, and automatically mined sales price data from competitors.
01-20-2014, 01:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As a software developer I would like to think Amazon does have an algorithm to suggest prices of items to their sales rep. But eventually the decision to set a price I believe seems human as in setting a range of prices. Of course it shouldnt offend the MAP agreement with Pentax/Manufacturer. Or else Amazon would be in trouble. Logically thinking though few manufacturers of Electronic Goods have the guts to take on Amazon over MAP violations.
Pentax is but a small fry.....
01-20-2014, 01:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

What is Amazon's role in the transaction? Does Amazon purchase a truckload on credit, then sell until they can pay the bill (like the big stores), or is Amazon merely commissioned as a sales gateway and fulfillment partner for the manufacturer? If Amazon is setting their own prices, they must have sold enough units to pay off the note. Now its all gravy.

At one time, Amazon was known to offer different pricing for different customers, depending on location and previous purchase history. With all the tracking cookies between them and Google, I wonder if they have us all pegged as pound-foolish? The camera manufacturers have known this about amateur photographers all along. They have our next lens picked out for us before we even say "that's the last one for now" for the previous one. They release a new camera just when I said I wasn't going to buy another digital camera.....

On the grounds of full disclosure, I did order a K-3 from B&H. I'm selling my Canon stuff to do it. I almost got the silver one, but opted to add a lens instead. With no battery grip, it should all fit in the camera bag.
01-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
As a software developer I would like to think Amazon does have an algorithm to suggest prices of items to their sales rep. But eventually the decision to set a price I believe seems human as in setting a range of prices. Of course it shouldn't offend the MAP agreement with Pentax/Manufacturer. Or else Amazon would be in trouble. Logically thinking though few manufacturers of Electronic Goods have the guts to take on Amazon over MAP violations.
Pentax is but a small fry.....
I think this is what is happening. I tried to get in on the renewed grip bundle offer from B&H last week but it was out of stock shortly after it was posted. I signed up for email notification for when it came back in stock and got a notification that night. However the grip was no longer offered. Sent an email to B&H but also started watching Amazon for the K-3 several times a day. Henry from B&H replied back Sunday that the offer was a limited number of bundles that they had from Pentax and was no longer available. The Amazon price changed almost every time I checked it and varied as much as $75.

Just pulled the trigger at Amazon and from the time I added it to my cart and went to check out it had gone up again, was $1069 and started out at $1049 when I put it in the cart. And the vendor also changed that was fulfilling the order. The algorithm isn't perfect- I picked up the 18-135 WR lens for $406. Yet if I selected the lens option on the page the body was offered it would have been $1596 instead of $1476 total purchased separately.
01-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I noticed the other day that Amazon seems to be disregarding MAP with some lenses below even BF prices advertised by BH and Adorama and many of them off by a small amount 5-10%.
01-24-2014, 08:43 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Used K-3 on "Amazon Warehouse Deals" is going for less than 1K now... 994.25 + free shipping.
01-24-2014, 09:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
These might be returns for all we know probably with some issue. Plus I doubt the used item carries the 1 year warranty by pentax if that matters.