Posted By: Mr Bassie, 01-24-2014, 10:22 AM

Pentax 12MP Digital Camera w/ 4x Optical

Please buy these before I am tempted.

Views: 6,375
02-06-2014, 07:28 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Yeah, but I admit it tends to work better for classic gear, since it tends to retain its price better or even appreciate, whereas with the latest and greatest, it's worth waiting until the inevitable price cratering.

Of course, if you really want the new stuff, you can think of it as a rental and take the percentage loss whenever you decide to sell it down the line. With this in mind, I've had my cursor hover over the "buy" button for a 645D several times, but it's still a bit too steep to make THAT jump, especially given the risk that I might fall in love!
It also works well if you can use really good rebates and/or store coupons for your original purpose to bring down your initial purchase price. I once combined two big discount coupons to get a $900 lens for $520. A few years later I sold it used for $800.

02-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #47
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveInPA Quote
It also works well if you can use really good rebates and/or store coupons for your original purpose to bring down your initial purchase price. I once combined two big discount coupons to get a $900 lens for $520. A few years later I sold it used for $800.
That was a really good flip!
02-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Well it looks like the ice storm delayed my MX-1 a few days. But right now the FedEx site said it is enroute from the USPS office to which they handed it off (FedEx Smartpost) to my local post office. So I should definitely have it tomorrow.
Unbelievable. I ordered from Adorama yesterday at 6:30 pm and it arrived in Lititz, Pa today about 24 hours later. We got the ice as well. Temps must have been warmer as things were significantly more melted than in Chester County.
02-07-2014, 03:43 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
Unbelievable. I ordered from Adorama yesterday at 6:30 pm and it arrived in Lititz, Pa today about 24 hours later. We got the ice as well. Temps must have been warmer as things were significantly more melted than in Chester County.
Nice! How do you like it?

Mine shipped on January 27th from Texas. I think it got delayed by the southern storms a bit last week and by the northern storms this week. The fact that it shipped FedEx Smartpost certainly didn't help. It was passed off to a US Post Office about 30 minutes from my house on Tuesday morning and for some reason is taking 3 days to make it here.

02-07-2014, 04:59 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Nice! How do you like it?

Mine shipped on January 27th from Texas. I think it got delayed by the southern storms a bit last week and by the northern storms this week. The fact that it shipped FedEx Smartpost certainly didn't help. It was passed off to a US Post Office about 30 minutes from my house on Tuesday morning and for some reason is taking 3 days to make it here.
I'll check it out this evening and let you. I'm bouncing back and forth between home and Quantico, Va.
02-07-2014, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #51
Site Supporter

Yeah, I've found that "Smartpost" combines the power of USPS and FedEx ground to bring you an even SLOWER delivery experience than either alone. I'm currently living pretty close to both of you guys and find that when package tracking shows a delivery has reached the dreaded Lewisberry, PA (a whole 25 miles from here) post office, it's going to take about 2-3 more business days before it arrives.
So Lewisberry has one guy & he's still delivering by horseback?
02-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #52
Veteran Member

I am living in Lancaster, so I do occasionally see horses and buggies going down my street, but so far none of them have been carrying the mail!

Not mail, but I have been propositioned to buy sweet corn from two barefoot Amish girls from their horse and buggy in my neighborhood near the Lancaster Airport.

02-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote

Wow! That was fast! I ordered the camera from Adorama via their Amazon store front, and it's not scheduled to arrive until late next week! So how do you like the MX-1 so far? First impressions?
02-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Outen the lights! Have they no shame, hanging around the airport.
02-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Actually, I just checked my shipping status, and it says that the MX-1 was just delivered to my door two hours ago! Yippee! Can't wait to get home from work...
02-07-2014, 12:27 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Actually, I just checked my shipping status, and it says that the MX-1 was just delivered to my door two hours ago! Yippee! Can't wait to get home from work...
Your enthusiasm is killing me.......should I or shouldn't I.......

Looking forward to your first impressions!
02-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Your enthusiasm is killing me.......should I or shouldn't I....... Looking forward to your first impressions!
You know, I don't mean to overhype this camera at all, but I've been convinced by many of its users and professional reviews that it will offer great image quality in a solid-feeling compact camera. I think my expectations are high, but not too much, and the $199 price will help me forgive some of the camera's possible negative points...
02-07-2014, 01:25 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
You know, I don't mean to overhype this camera at all, but I've been convinced by many of its users and professional reviews that it will offer great image quality in a solid-feeling compact camera. I think my expectations are high, but not too much, and the $199 price will help me forgive some of the camera's possible negative points...
Oh I don't think you are over hyping it at all - I agree with your assessment based on what I've read about this camera also. And agree that it would feel good to get a quality piece for the $200.

But now that new TC shows up, and I am primarily a long lens shooter........too many goodies!
02-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #59
Veteran Member

My MX-1 arrived about an hour ago and I've been happily snapping pictures. I really like it alot.

The condition of the camera is pristine. Honestly, the only indication I had that it wasn't brand new was that the rear screen didn't have that protective sheet on it that all new cameras have. But other than that it is in perfect condition. It appears to have all of the accessories as well...but I haven't done a full inventory. The things I care about are there: The camera, the battery, charger.

The box has a hand written sticker on it with a number, date and "Good" written on it...so I guess someone reviewed it and approved it to be sold.

The 1 CM Macro mode is alot of fun. I can't wait to play with that more.

Overall...I'm very pleased.
02-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #60
Veteran Member

My MX-1 arrived about an hour ago and I've been happily snapping pictures. I really like it alot.

The condition of the camera is pristine. Honestly, the only indication I had that it wasn't brand new was that the rear screen didn't have that protective sheet on it that all new cameras have. But other than that it is in perfect condition. It appears to have all of the accessories as well...but I haven't done a full inventory. The things I care about are there: The camera, the battery, charger.

The box has a hand written sticker on it with a number, date and "Good" written on it...so I guess someone reviewed it and approved it to be sold.

The 1 CM Macro mode is alot of fun. I can't wait to play with that more.

Overall...I'm very pleased.
Good deal! Can't wait to check mine out. How's the all black look in person? I like how the brass will wear on it, but I wanted the silver to stand our from the plethora of all black cameras.