Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

AMAZON K-3 $1029 only 4 left!
Posted By: clostoyo, 02-01-2014, 03:39 PM

Amazon.com: Pentax K-3 Pentax SLR SLR Camera - Body Only: Camera & Photo

Last edited by clostoyo; 02-12-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Views: 3,837
02-13-2014, 12:25 AM   #16

Original Poster
Just like that ,these are sold out.

02-13-2014, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
Great. But who did you use to buy your K3 and how was your experience?
Mine was DavisMax (they sell a lot of electronics on Amazon).

The one I got turned out not to be gray market, so I was relieved there. But it did arrive in a kit box with the lens removed. I reported it to Pentax and they were not thrilled with the practice at all. I requested the company send me the original box and I would send them the kit box and they refused. They wanted me to send back the entire camera -- which was then used. They also wanted it in the original packaging to issue a refund.

This was a trap in my estimation.

1. I never had the original box to start with, so they could CLAIM that the kit box was not original and ding my refund.
2. The camera was now used (several clicks), so they could CLAIM it was not in original condition and ding my refund.

I refused that option and demanded either the box or a $100 credit. They refused.

I said I was going to Amazon. They refused.

I went to Amazon. Amazon went to them. They played innocent and again demanded the camera be returned. Amazon told me to send the camera back to them and then the refund could be processed BASED ON DAVISMAX' report that I'd returned everything in the original packaging and condition.

So back to that same trap, just with the weight of Amazon behind it.

I explained the same to Amazon. Amazon canned replied to send the camera back.

Yes, three times. I finally replied one more time asking to direct this to someone who would actually READ the details, not just auto-respond.

I then gave up any hope. I seriously was not going to pursue this any farther. The $100 was not worth the effort. At first it was and figured the company would just settle, but they stretched it out and then it became like a cat toying with a mouse, I didn't expect any relief, but wanted them to think twice about such a shady practice.

Two days later I got an email saying I would receive a $100 credit.

Net for K-3 body only: $1073.19 + days of grief and nuisance.
02-13-2014, 07:56 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Another tactic could have been to get your credit card company behind. When money stops moving, people start listening.
02-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Now it's at $1037 with 10 left in stock. Must be a different seller.

02-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
Mine was DavisMax (they sell a lot of electronics on Amazon).

The one I got turned out not to be gray market, so I was relieved there. But it did arrive in a kit box with the lens removed. I reported it to Pentax and they were not thrilled with the practice at all. I requested the company send me the original box and I would send them the kit box and they refused. They wanted me to send back the entire camera -- which was then used. They also wanted it in the original packaging to issue a refund.

This was a trap in my estimation.

1. I never had the original box to start with, so they could CLAIM that the kit box was not original and ding my refund.
2. The camera was now used (several clicks), so they could CLAIM it was not in original condition and ding my refund.

I refused that option and demanded either the box or a $100 credit. They refused.

I said I was going to Amazon. They refused.

I went to Amazon. Amazon went to them. They played innocent and again demanded the camera be returned. Amazon told me to send the camera back to them and then the refund could be processed BASED ON DAVISMAX' report that I'd returned everything in the original packaging and condition.

So back to that same trap, just with the weight of Amazon behind it.

Yes, three times. I finally replied one more time asking to direct this to someone who would actually READ the details, not just auto-respond.

I then gave up any hope. I seriously was not going to pursue this any farther. The $100 was not worth the effort. At first it was and figured the company would just settle, but they stretched it out and then it became like a cat toying with a mouse, I didn't expect any relief, but wanted them to think twice about such a shady practice.

Two days later I got an email saying I would receive a $100 credit.

Net for K-3 body only: $1073.19 + days of grief and nuisance.
Wow.admire your steadfastness! But why a 100 bucks credit? Why not more? And finally who gave the credit,Amazon or DavisMax?
02-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Wow.admire your steadfastness! But why a 100 bucks credit? Why not more? And finally who gave the credit,Amazon or DavisMax?
It appears DavisMax issued the credit. With Amazon (I sell some stuff through them) the seller gets paid at least two weeks after they ship -- usually the third Friday. They do this to handle satisfaction issues. So DavisMax authorized the refund via Amazon and it was issued by Amazon and deducted from what they were paid.

I chose $100 because of something I'd read here, plus it seemed to be a reasonable penalty for them not providing the correct box... but enough that sending me the box was a viable option.
02-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
It appears DavisMax issued the credit. With Amazon (I sell some stuff through them) the seller gets paid at least two weeks after they ship -- usually the third Friday. They do this to handle satisfaction issues. So DavisMax authorized the refund via Amazon and it was issued by Amazon and deducted from what they were paid.

I chose $100 because of something I'd read here, plus it seemed to be a reasonable penalty for them not providing the correct box... but enough that sending me the box was a viable option.
Thats great news! You got a fantastic deal for 1K bucks. Come black Friday and K3 body+lens combo would sell for USD 1K with body costing USD 700. You pay only USD 300 for using this great toy for the entire year
02-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #23
Banned

$1,019.00 & FREE Shipping !

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Pentax K-3 Pentax SLR SLR Camera - Body Only

02-13-2014, 01:37 PM   #24
Veteran Member

More than likely that is the case because I cancelled my order from them. Once I get my refund I will buy my K-3 from B&H like I should have in the first place.
02-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
More than likely that is the case because I cancelled my order from them. Once I get my refund I will buy my K-3 from B&H like I should have in the first place.
The best thing to do right now is to buy a bundle like the $1296 one with DA50 1.8 included, and sell the lens as New for $150. You keep the K-3 and the SD card if you buy from B&H, or you keep the K-3 and the extended 2 yr Pentax warranty (1+2) if you buy from adorama. Adorama has all kind of bundles including a $1999 with K-3, FA31 Ltd, extra 2 year warranty, PL filter and Pentax backpack. If you sell the FA31, PL filter and the backpack for $1000, you scored a Brand new K-3 from reputable Adorama with 2 extra years of warranty for $1000. No money down with Bill Me Later.
02-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #26
Administrator
Site Webmaster

$1019 is really pushing it- that's a great price.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-13-2014, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Great price at great risk IMO
02-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
If you sell the FA31, PL filter and the backpack for $1000, you scored a Brand new K-3 from reputable Adorama with 2 extra years of warranty for $1000.
This is a great plan in theory. In practice, I imagine it would be very, very difficult for me to actually list and sell that FA31.

"Sorry Honey, um ... this camera turned out to be a little more expensive than I had planned..."
02-13-2014, 05:12 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
This is a great plan in theory. In practice, I imagine it would be very, very difficult for me to actually list and sell that FA31.

"Sorry Honey, um ... this camera turned out to be a little more expensive than I had planned..."
Why do you think its difficult to sell your FA 31 ltd? If that's a reality, a little disappointed. Given Pentax' small market share, would not be surprising. I am concerned about Pentax/Ricoh turning into a 'Black Friday' money making enterprise. (i.e gear doesnt sell well unless heavily discounted) I know it is not but unless Adorama/BHPhoto discount their items it doesnt sell well I guess.

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Great price at great risk IMO
Glad you were able to pull out in time. I read the reviews of Sunset Electronic,DavisMAX and the ilk. Their items may not be grey market but no warranty card,shipping in inappropriate boxes hardly inspires confidence. That said, I would consider buying a less expensive item like a K50 body from them at US$ 450. But a US$1K item? Would be scared to!!!

---------- Post added 02-13-14 at 04:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I agree it is extraordinariy tempting. (Ask me I am still using a 8 year old body my K10D)
But US$1K is a lot of money to gamble on a unathorized reseller.
-Charge a 15% restocking fee if you decide to return their item within 30 days of purchase.
-No 'shipping insurance' such an expensive product. Their policy clearly states: If item is lost/damaged in transit it is not their responsibility.

With BHPhoto up until now I've had an amazing experience. They've become my preferred vendors for a lot of electronic goods.
02-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #30
cmv

Why do you think its difficult to sell your FA 31 ltd? If that's a reality, a little disappointed. Given Pentax' small market share, would not be surprising. I am concerned about Pentax/Ricoh turning into a 'Black Friday' money making enterprise. (i.e gear doesnt sell well unless heavily discounted) I know it is not but unless Adorama/BHPhoto discount their items it doesnt sell well I guess.
He is saying it would be hard to sell the legendary FA31 having one right there in his hand that he could keep (that he would be too tempted to keep it). I'm with him -- I never thought I'd get the FA31 but $2k for the K-3 + FA31 + extended warranty... That is really tempting.