Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  
Pentax MX-1 at 199 with free shipping at Adorama
Posted By: ChristianRock, 02-05-2014, 12:32 PM

For those who missed the Woot deal, fear not! The same is now available at Adorama.

The camera is marked as Discontinued at B&H by the way. So I guess these sales will send soon, as the remaining stock is being sold. I'd expect an MX-2 very soon.

Pentax MX1 Digital Camera - Silver 12633



Last edited by ChristianRock; 02-05-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Views: 8,125
02-10-2014, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #31
Adorama Camera Representative
Helen Oster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 548
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
That's my only gripe with Adorama. Here's their quotes for shipping options from their warehouse in NJ outside NYC to 45 minutes west of Philadelphia:
  • Super Saver (7-10 Business Days) $0.00 - 7-10 days? Really? Going to wait 5-8 days to ship it for it to take that long?
  • Standard Shipping 3-5 Business Days $4.75 - 3-5 days? Post office is one - two days for regular mail.
  • UPS 3 Business Days $13.25
  • UPS 2 Business Days Air $16.50 - Flat rate priority medium box is what, $10.95 and guaranteed two days for that area?
  • UPS Next Business Day Air $30.50
.
We frequently offer free or discounted shipping as a way of passing on manufacturer discounts to our customers, eg on overstocks etc. We would like to offer this on more of our items and hopefully at some point in the future we will be able to do so.

However, unlike many retailers we do not give 'free' shipping, and then hide the cost by increasing the price of the product to compensate. 'Free shipping' offers are always genuine, and do not affect the price of the product to our valued customers, and we offer free shipping on as many items as we are able.

I suggest that if you ever do consider shopping from Adorama in the future, that you call your order in to one of our helpful sales representatives, who will be able to view your order history with us and make a decision on whether he can do anything to assist you with the shipping costs - and also advise on possible alternative shipping methods which are not currently available on the website.

Another option, is to sign up for NAPP membership; National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) | Member CommunityNational Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) there are many benefits associated with this, but the one that may interest you the most, is the availability of free shipping on ALL your orders from Adorama!

02-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #32
Pentaxian
jtkratzer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lancaster County, Pa
Posts: 820
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
We frequently offer free or discounted shipping as a way of passing on manufacturer discounts to our customers, eg on overstocks etc. We would like to offer this on more of our items and hopefully at some point in the future we will be able to do so.

However, unlike many retailers we do not give 'free' shipping, and then hide the cost by increasing the price of the product to compensate. 'Free shipping' offers are always genuine, and do not affect the price of the product to our valued customers, and we offer free shipping on as many items as we are able.

I suggest that if you ever do consider shopping from Adorama in the future, that you call your order in to one of our helpful sales representatives, who will be able to view your order history with us and make a decision on whether he can do anything to assist you with the shipping costs - and also advise on possible alternative shipping methods which are not currently available on the website.

Another option, is to sign up for NAPP membership; National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) | Member CommunityNational Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) there are many benefits associated with this, but the one that may interest you the most, is the availability of free shipping on ALL your orders from Adorama!


Helen, thanks for your response. I called to inquire about another product and mentioned the discrepancy on the shipping between your eBay and website stores and the rep refunded $10 of the shipping fee. I was grateful for that, but personally, I'd prefer to just buy the item and have the options available right there, so I can order any time of day or night without having to call and feel like I'm haggling on the price of the item or shipping. I don't want to feel like I have to call every time to broker a deal, but if that's the standard way to do business, I'll call.
02-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #33
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,710
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
I have to say the menu option to use a cat meowing for various functions is a bit strange. Pentax thinks cat people will like this camera? Wasn't marketed to cat people as far as I know.
curious to find out how my dog reacts when I take pictures with the cat sound enabled...
02-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #34
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bucks County, PA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 499
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
I have to say the menu option to use a cat meowing for various functions is a bit strange. Pentax thinks cat people will like this camera? Wasn't marketed to cat people as far as I know.
Wait...where is that option?

02-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #35
Adorama Camera Representative
Helen Oster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 548
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
Helen, thanks for your response. I called to inquire about another product and mentioned the discrepancy on the shipping between your eBay and website stores and the rep refunded $10 of the shipping fee. I was grateful for that, but personally, I'd prefer to just buy the item and have the options available right there, so I can order any time of day or night without having to call and feel like I'm haggling on the price of the item or shipping. I don't want to feel like I have to call every time to broker a deal, but if that's the standard way to do business, I'll call.


I didn't mean to imply that by calling in there will be a shipping discount applied automatically; shipping methods selected need to take into account a number of factors, which include overall weight, dimensions and $$ value. Which is why the online shipping calculator may not give the best possible price, all of the time,
02-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #36
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
I guess there are some inconsistencies here and there -

Selling the same camera - Adorama through Amazon. Price is the same but the shipping is $49.95!

Amazon.com: Pentax MX-1 Silver 12MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3-Inch LCD Display: PENTAX: Camera & Photo
02-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #37
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,710
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Selling the same camera - Adorama through Amazon. Price is the same but the shipping is $49.95!
Wow! I just got mine last week, Adorama through Amazon, with $10.95 shipping cost. Wished I had waited and just gotten it directly from Adorama for free shipping and 4% reward credit, but I had some Amazon gift credit I wanted to use up. $49.95 seems like a typo/mistake.
02-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #38
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Perrineville, NJ
Posts: 1,365
I have ordered many things from Adorama with free Super Saver shipping to my workplace in Montgomery County, PA. It almost always arrives within 2 days. Some of the delay is due to arrangements whereby the "long-haul" freight is handled by UPS or FedEx, and final delivery is by US Postal Service. Even UPS will tell you right on their website that their normal ground delivery service will deliver a package within 1 day to a huge radius. But if you really want to guarantee overnight or 2-day shipping, I think it is fair, outside of any prior so-called "free shipping" memberships, to have to pay for it.

We are so fortunate to be so geographically close to the major online retailers, that the free shipping option almost always makes sense.

02-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #39
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 71
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
I didn't mean to imply that by calling in there will be a shipping discount applied automatically; shipping methods selected need to take into account a number of factors, which include overall weight, dimensions and $$ value. Which is why the online shipping calculator may not give the best possible price, all of the time,
that sounds very non-understandable. since the overall weight, dimensions and $$ value are already there, why aren't they automatically taken into account when people place the orders and select the shipping methods through your website?

We know that you can't guarantee there will be a shipping discount applied automatically when calling in. BUT, if we don't make the call, how do we know if there will be or not? for this reason, I would call you every time for future order.
02-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #40
Pentaxian
jtkratzer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lancaster County, Pa
Posts: 820
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveInPA Quote
Wait...where is that option?

It's in the menu when you choose which sound options for the camera to use on start up, shutter actuation, etc. I think there are three actions to which you can apply the cat sound (or the other two).

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
I didn't mean to imply that by calling in there will be a shipping discount applied automatically; shipping methods selected need to take into account a number of factors, which include overall weight, dimensions and $$ value. Which is why the online shipping calculator may not give the best possible price, all of the time,


First off, I probably sounded critical and my intentions are to suggest improvement of the customers' website experience. I didn't think there would be every time automatically, but what's the purpose of selling through your website if it isn't going to give me the most accurate options the majority of the time? Seems this defeats the purpose of the website and drastically increases the workload and demand on the call center/customer service reps unless that is just the cost of buying online vs spending the time on the phone, going through the menu system, and speaking to a rep and completing the transaction that way.

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.T Quote
that sounds very non-understandable. since the overall weight, dimensions and $$ value are already there, why aren't they automatically taken into account when people place the orders and select the shipping methods through your website?

We know that you can't guarantee there will be a shipping discount applied automatically when calling in. BUT, if we don't make the call, how do we know if there will be or not? for this reason, I would call you every time for future order.


What I don't understand is how you can sell products through three different venues all at the same retail price with different shipping methods and prices at each venue. Even eBay has the ability to let one choose from several shipping options, but I would think the "mybusinessname.com" website I own and control would give me the most accurate and best information over the third party dealers such as Amazon and eBay. I don't expect Amazon or eBay to let me pick from any/all choices, but I'd think customers coming directly to your website would get the most accurate information. I don't think it'd be reasonable to say the employees working in the store in NYC can't always give the best options so you should call and speak to a sales rep.
02-11-2014, 05:56 AM   #41
Adorama Camera Representative
Helen Oster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 548
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.T Quote
that sounds very non-understandable. since the overall weight, dimensions and $$ value are already there, why aren't they automatically taken into account when people place the orders and select the shipping methods through your website?
I will try to clarify with some examples: if your order is under $200 value it can ship USPS. But if you order, for example, Savage Port-A-stand, Free Standing Background Support 62037-50 it can only ship UPS ground. Then there are items like Kodak 8644809 RA Prime SP Paper Developer Replenisher 8644809 which cannot be shipped outside of the US

With an inventory of over 85,000 different items (and shipping to over 200 countries worldwide) with differing shipping requirements, our website isn't currently configured to be able to address variable issues like those above.

In addition, while there are always thousands of items eligible for free shipping, Free Shipping calling in to the sales department - NOT customer service - enables a rep to look at your buying history and wherever possible offer an individual shipping discount.

Or you can sign up for NAPP membership; National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) | Member CommunityNational Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) and become eligible for free ground shipping on ALL your orders from Adorama.

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
......what's the purpose of selling through your website if it isn't going to give me the most accurate options the majority of the time? .....
The majority of the time, it is.


QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
What I don't understand is how you can sell products through three different venues all at the same retail price with different shipping methods and prices at each venue.....
Amazon and eBay set requirements of retailers which restricts the number, type and cost of shipping and handling options that retailers are able to offer.

Last edited by Helen Oster; 02-11-2014 at 06:44 AM.
02-11-2014, 11:14 PM   #42
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 71
For Canadian Pentaxian, it is now $265.25 CAD with everything included (duty, tax, shipping) at adorama through Amazon.ca.

http://www.amazon.ca/Pentax-MX-1-Digital-Optical-tiltable/dp/B00B46A1AS/ref=...&keywords=mx-1

Last edited by Steve.T; 02-11-2014 at 11:48 PM.
02-12-2014, 05:54 AM   #43
Pentaxian
jtkratzer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lancaster County, Pa
Posts: 820
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
I will try to clarify with some examples: if your order is under $200 value it can ship USPS. But if you order, for example, Savage Port-A-stand, Free Standing Background Support 62037-50 it can only ship UPS ground. Then there are items like Kodak 8644809 RA Prime SP Paper Developer Replenisher 8644809 which cannot be shipped outside of the US

With an inventory of over 85,000 different items (and shipping to over 200 countries worldwide) with differing shipping requirements, our website isn't currently configured to be able to address variable issues like those above.

In addition, while there are always thousands of items eligible for free shipping, Free Shipping calling in to the sales department - NOT customer service - enables a rep to look at your buying history and wherever possible offer an individual shipping discount.

Or you can sign up for NAPP membership; National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) | Member CommunityNational Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) and become eligible for free ground shipping on ALL your orders from Adorama.



The majority of the time, it is.




Amazon and eBay set requirements of retailers which restricts the number, type and cost of shipping and handling options that retailers are able to offer.

Thanks for the insight, Helen. I'll call the sales department in the future if I have time to do so or if the shipping looks goofy when trying to order through the site. I realize there's a lot to handle with the inventory and number of destinations you ship to. Again, I didn't mean to come across harsh, just mentioning what I noticed between the vendors. Thanks again.
02-16-2014, 01:49 PM   #44
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,032
Looks like the camera still hasn't sold out- secure yours before they're gone! It looks be a real hit at this price point.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-18-2014, 10:24 PM   #45
Senior Member
imaspy's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 281
Hmmm that $70+ shipping kills it for me. I might take a chance and wait for some of the major Australian retailers to start selling it at a clearance price - not sure why they aren't doing so yet :-/ I scored a Q when Ted's were selling them for $AUD169.... I want a local price like that again damnit!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
199, adorama, blowout, camera, discontinued, mx-1, mx1, pentax, pentax deals, pentax mx-1
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MX-1 $229 at Adorama innivus Pentax Price Watch 35 01-16-2014 08:53 PM
Mx-1 $399 + Free shipping pbancr Pentax Price Watch 5 07-03-2013 11:37 PM
Pentax Q with 02 Lens, $249.99, Free Shipping at NewEgg dcshooter Pentax Price Watch 30 02-06-2013 09:53 AM
For Sale - Sold: Tokina AT-X PRO 80-200mm 1:2.8 for Pentax free internationl shipping elpolodiablo Sold Items 13 01-09-2013 05:58 AM
Q is $399 with leather case at Adorama with free shipping Docrwm Pentax Price Watch 18 07-25-2012 06:15 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:42 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top