Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
AA battery Holder for K-30 + FS
Posted By: shardulm, 02-10-2014, 09:07 AM

D BH109 Lithium Battery Holder AA Battery Holder for Pentax K R KR K 30 Camera | eBay

Looks like a good deal for 5 bucks shipped in case someone wanted to have this as a back up battery pack using AAs.

Views: 1,038
02-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice find, that's pretty much a steal!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-10-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter

That is not an authentic Pentax D-BH109, but a cheap Chinese knockoff.

The authentic Pentax D-BH109 has a metal plate and gold contacts.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/230878-aa-battery-ho...ery-packs.html

02-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Adam.
I wonder though how will using 14500 batteries which are inherently 3.7v (shown in the picture) will double the shooting time. It would actually double the voltage (3.7X4 = 14.8v) and not (1.5X4 = 6v). It may actually fry the camera components instead of doubling the shooting time unless the the adapter is selectively wired to make voltage close to 7.4v by having 2 X 3.7v in series and 2 of such a series combination wired in parallel in case of lithium ion batteries and 1.5 X 4 = 6v (all in series) in case of AAs.
Has some one used this or seen this close enough to figure if 3.7v batteries would actually give 7.4v at the terminals and not 14.8? If that is the case then using 14500 Li Ion batteries with this adapter would seriously double the shooting time.

02-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I did just buy similar item from ebay under 3usd, seller was herofengstore2009. Good seller i have been using it alot lately.
02-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
I have the cheapo $5 one for my KR. Works perfectly.
I respect the Pentax product quality but when it comes to stuff like batteries, remote controls, and other stuff like the AA holder I've had no problem with knock offs at 1/4 the price or less both for my KR and my K-5.
BTW: as to the AA adaptor, at the price of knock-off batteries it makes more sense (at least to me) to buy three or four knock-off lithium spares at about $9 each and carry those around along with a cheapo battery charger (again like $10) that works at home or in the car than to have the AA adapter in my kit.
02-10-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by eddaytona Quote
I have the cheapo $5 one for my KR. Works perfectly.
I respect the Pentax product quality but when it comes to stuff like batteries, remote controls, and other stuff like the AA holder I've had no problem with knock offs at 1/4 the price or less both for my KR and my K-5.
BTW: as to the AA adaptor, at the price of knock-off batteries it makes more sense (at least to me) to buy three or four knock-off lithium spares at about $9 each and carry those around along with a cheapo battery charger (again like $10) that works at home or in the car than to have the AA adapter in my kit.
Many knockoffs are fine, but not all of them. Be sure to check reviews first, as some third-party batteries simply lie about the voltage/capacity, or don't support communication with the camera (which could lead to unexpected poweroffs).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
mee
Site Supporter

I have this knockoff for my K-30.. worked superbly... still trying to sell the K-30 though. So I'm not using it anymore. Definitely a lot better than buying the Pentax part imo!

02-11-2014, 12:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I bought two knockoffs for my K30. They work fine until the battery is well under half charge (I'm using Eneloops). Then random things happen, like the camera freezes, or just shuts off/refuses to turn on until after a few clicks of the on switch.

I've stopped using them, but I find that I don't need them. I just use two of the stock batteries now, charging the empty one while the full one is being used.

Though I have read lots of reports in the K30 forum about other users using knockoffs with success. For $5 it's worth the risk.
02-11-2014, 04:46 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

my K-30 came with Pentax D-BH109 adapter, used it couple times.
purchased $3.something posted from China, as a back up, noticeably lighter but still pretty robust.
took it few times around the World with K-30 , never any problems.
the Pentax one looks nicer so I look at it everyday, it is sitting permanently on my desk......
02-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I don't know, but sometime I wish they don't charge a premium for OEM stuff to the point that buying a knockoff is a better choice...
If the OEM one is $8 or $10, will anyone buy a $5 knockoff? same for batteries....

what kind of business practice is this (way overprice an OEM item)? :S
02-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #12
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I don't know, but sometime I wish they don't charge a premium for OEM stuff to the point that buying a knockoff is a better choice...
If the OEM one is $8 or $10, will anyone buy a $5 knockoff? same for batteries....

what kind of business practice is this (way overprice an OEM item)? :S
The nickle&dime business practice.. and they all seem to do it.. so we can't get away from it.
02-18-2014, 07:10 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the same knockoff(bought via amazon reseller). It works for the most part, but the Official adapter is MUCH higher quality and IMO is worth the extra $$.

If I store cells in the generic adapter, they will be dead in a couple weeks where to official one dooes not seem to drain the batteries. I am also using eneloops