Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Pentax DA* 50-135mm f2.8 on KEH
Posted By: Louicio, 02-18-2014, 07:29 PM

For sale on KEH, one Pentax SMC DA* 50-135mm f2.8 in Like New (LN-) condition with no hood or caps for $546!

http://www.keh.com/camera/Pentax-Digital-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-DP079991026970?r=FE
Views: 3,305
02-19-2014, 12:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
If I sell a like new lens here without photo, just state: "like new, FRD", will you accept condition like that? Will you be happy to pay return shipping cost and get partial refund? They have definition of LN, and I don't believe a lens with damaged filter ring should be described as "like new", leave alone the "FRD" with our any explanation.
plus, as I stated in the first reply, the F50/1.4 lens described as "ln" has barrel wobble, which was not mentioned at all.
I am not complaining the return policy, but their description. I am not sure if I can trust them any more.
The wobbly barrel is obviously grounds for return. I don't understand why you bought one with front ring damage in the first place. Did you expect it not be damaged because it was listed as Like New?

If you told me a lens was "Like New, but Front Ring Damage" I would expect a lens that overall looked and handled new, but had a bent, chipped, or broken front ring.

In every category they have, they list overall condition, and then list individual issues. I bought a LF lens there recently, listed as EX+ *SPEEDS OFF. I knew EXACTLY what to expect. A lens that was in great shape, but with a shutter that wasn't accurate. That's exactly what I got.

Sounds like you need to match your expectations to how they describe their lenses.

02-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
I don't understand why you bought one with front ring damage in the first place. Did you expect it not be damaged because it was listed as Like New?
That is the problem: they didn't say anywhere front ring damage at all, just a mysterious FRD. I believe we shall not expect a like new lens has damaged front ring, or a lens with damaged ring being described as like new. I realized what did FRD mean when I saw the lens. And they refuse to take responsibility for return for that reason.
The lens was returned because the wobble barrel, free of any charge from me.
So their return policy is fine, but description is not as reliable as before.

I bought an other lens from KEH before that one, also "LN". But came in very dusty. Lucky all external and cleanable. But if I sell lens like that, I will either clean it before mailing it out, or describe as "good" the most. How could they know there is no obvious internal dust or fungus without clean the dust off from front and rear glass? I kept that one, but wasn't a very good experience also.

---------- Post added 02-19-14 at 01:25 PM ----------

And that reminded me another purchase, from KEH ebay store, an FA 28-70/4. Again "like new", but come in with obvious fungus. returned and I didn;t lose any money, just wasted time. They apologized for that at least at that moment (2-3 years ago). But this time, they made me think I should apologize and beg for a free return. Not fun.
02-19-2014, 12:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Hmmm. I probably would've clarified beforehand, but that's just me. I probably would've assumed by price, too, since most lenses with filter ring damage get discounted 25-35% of the price vs. one without it.

I do agree that you do waste time. I asked once, and they replied that they often don't fully test EVERY lens, if it's a popular lens, and group based off of cosmetic condition. To them, exchanging it and reselling it for parts is cheaper than having it spend a few hours on the bench before the sale.

I've had worse luck with Adorama's used dept, though, as their condition letters are more confusing, the descriptions usually read something like : "Sigma 18-35 4.5-5.6 UC *FR CP *CS *FLM ONLY *SEP RR EL"

*always* have to ask them for clarification. I almost always ask for clarification anyway when spending more than $100 on a lens.

With the problems with KEH, I still will shop there, as, especially for film gear, they're 25% cheaper than NON CAMERA SHOPS on eBay, and 40-50% cheaper than the eBay camera shops. I've also had more issues with lenses from eBay camera shops, and infinite headaches with returns and refunds.
02-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #19
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
Perfectly fair policy, why should they be responsible for you not understanding their condition information?
The following is MY OPINION, based upon 15 or so years of buying from KEH and selling to KEH.

The issue here is the legacy reputation of KEH. When they were smaller and had fewer evaluators on the intake desks the descriptions were conservative, consistent and clear to those who dealt with them frequently. Now they are a large (some would say huge) enterprise. The volume of intale product requires significantly more evaluators who have less (or different) experience and opinion. Consistency of condition labeling has become challenging. Couple that with market expecations (based on historical experience plus testimonials) that condition labels are conservative and there is bound to be confusion and disappointment.

The first time I tried to sell a long list of gear to them (at a local camera store - an 'In-Store' Event) I stopped and walked out because they rushed me and wouldn't individually price each item - just gave me a price for the entire lot. It just didn't feel right. I played around on ebay for two weeks and they had bid right at 50% of retail, so it was a fair bid, but it didn't feel fair. Next time I asked first if the buyer would price item by item. He did, and I let him have some and kept others. That's experience

Clicking on the Rating calls up the decription box of what the ratings mean. A cusrsory trip thrrough the website doesn't reveal definitions of abbreviations suich as FRD, which I've never seen before. I know from experience their descriptions are affirmative - i.e. if something isn't affirmatively included, such as caps, case, strap, assume it isn't there. Comparing prices of lenses of similar quality with and without caps will usually show a $10 premium for lenses with caps.

I'm of a divided mind here. Part of me is in the "Buyer Beware" camp and another part is in the "Expecations Unmet" camp. I guess the deciding factor in favor of "Expecations Unmet" is the apparent lack of a definitions of abbreviations page - at least one that I can easily find.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-19-2014 at 12:47 PM.
02-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #20

I purchased a 50-135 from KEH recently (Last month). I have sold to KEH before and had no issues with sales either. In the used lens market, they are the only I found to have 6 month warranty. Pentax is only 1 year. Plus at the price I purchased, I am more than willing to pay if the SDM fails in the future but I am hopeful. Working perfectly. Came Like New and I couldn't be happier.

My 2 cents on the debate above: I called several times before purchasing lens. Asking the details, possible SN on their stock and included accessories. I too would have asked about "FRD" before purchase. Anything in the description is binding. Pays to know what it all means.
02-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #21
Site Supporter

I've had great results with KEH, buying both used Pentax and Nikon glass. I don't buy bargain grade, so cannot comment on that. I've also sold gear to them and been happy with the price. So far I've bought used lenses from KEH, Adorama, and Collectible Cameras and have been very happy with the lenses I've received.
02-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chucuyuco Quote
Hope it works... I just bought it! Been wanting that one for awhile and the price was too good to pass up. If there are any issues I'll send it back within the return window. Hopefully I just got lucky!
Best of luck! Let us know how it goes!
02-19-2014, 08:30 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I've bought 3 lenses from KEH, all in perfect shape, all much better condition than described

02-19-2014, 08:47 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jaywes Quote
My 2 cents on the debate above: I called several times before purchasing lens. Asking the details, possible SN on their stock and included accessories.
A couple of months ago I emailed KEH regarding an FA 43 they had listed and asked if it was made in Japan or assembled in Vietnam but was told that the lens "was in a different location" and that they couldn't get to it to tell me. I ended up buying an FA 43 from someone on this forum instead and had a much better experience.
02-19-2014, 10:05 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fsdogwood Quote
but can you trust the Pentax SDM ?
Yes, at least I can, been using my 50-135 hard since I bought it new in 2009 for about $800 from B&H. I did lose the hood and spent $50 to buy a replacement. I'm big believer in hoods as I don't use filters or lens caps.

BTW, bought a used 17-70 SDM from KEH a few years back and I swear it was new. KEH is the used dealer I trust most, been dealing with them for years. They are not the slickest IT dept. so call and talk to them, very knowledgeable and honest folks.

If the SDM did die, its a couple of hundred bucks to repair, about what it cost to fix the SR lever I broke off a K10.
02-24-2014, 09:11 AM   #26

I have one of the first 16-50 and never had an issue
02-24-2014, 03:37 PM   #27
Forum Member

I bought a Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro from KEH on Amazon last week in "like new" condition - it arrived and looked great, but every shot was pathetically fuzzy. It turns out that it backfocused too much to be corrected on the 10 setting in my K5. I filed a complaint with Amazon saying the AF function was useless on this lens and KEH sent me instructions for a FEDEX return, they pay shipping.

I just ordered a new one from a different seller for $655.
02-26-2014, 12:38 AM   #28
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Another user reported recently buying a DA*200 in LN condition from KEH and the SDM appears DOA. YMMV
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/252113-help-why-...autofocus.html
Can you guy and girls stop abbreviating!! i dont understand SDM YMMV! you have to apprecaite that there are new people in this forum who don't understand abbreviations! so please just take a second longer to type the full name of the item you are talking about.
Thanks.
02-26-2014, 01:46 AM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JASMAZ77 Quote
Can you guy and girls stop abbreviating!! i dont understand SDM YMMV! you have to apprecaite that there are new people in this forum who don't understand abbreviations! so please just take a second longer to type the full name of the item you are talking about.
Thanks.
Pentax (lens) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Urban Dictionary: YMMV

YMMV is used very widely on the internet. Not only on this forum. It is a common abbreviation.
By the way, If I don't understand something, I google it.
Cheers
02-26-2014, 02:04 AM   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JASMAZ77 Quote
Thanks.

Im new aswell. Two words: Google it or Search Button.