Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pentax DA* 50-135mm f2.8 on KEH
Posted By: Louicio, 02-18-2014, 07:29 PM

For sale on KEH, one Pentax SMC DA* 50-135mm f2.8 in Like New (LN-) condition with no hood or caps for $546!

http://www.keh.com/camera/Pentax-Digital-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-DP079991026970?r=FE
Views: 4,408
02-18-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what is keh? Just used gear? or new as well. this price for new seems outrageously cheap

---------- Post added 02-18-14 at 07:01 PM ----------

NM I read the story. No cap tho or hood. :-(
02-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
Forum Member

but can you trust the Pentax SDM ?
02-18-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fsdogwood Quote
You can't on the 50-135. Great lens though but you need to buy this lens new with Mack 7 years warranty (under $40)

02-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another user reported recently buying a DA*200 in LN condition from KEH and the SDM appears DOA. YMMV
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/252113-help-why-...autofocus.html
02-18-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
You can't on the 50-135. Great lens though but you need to buy this lens new with Mack 7 years warranty (under $40)
QuoteOriginally posted by fsdogwood Quote
Don't know for everyone, but my 50-135 hasn't acted up anytime (late 2012 production batch)
02-18-2014, 11:18 PM   #7
Forum Member

Hope it works... I just bought it! Been wanting that one for awhile and the price was too good to pass up. If there are any issues I'll send it back within the return window. Hopefully I just got lucky!

02-18-2014, 11:45 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't trust KEH's description anymore. They used to be very honest, even under represent the condition. But last time I bought a LN PENTAX-F 50/1.4 with "FRD" in the description. Anyone can guess when does it mean? I even googled and could not find any clue.
Anyway, I bought the lens, since it is LN.
It turns out "FRD" means front ring damage. And I could not get full refund because "FRD" is in the description if that is reason of return.
Even worse, the lens barrel had quite a lot wobble. And KEH didn't mention at all. No caps. paint lost..
Finally the barrel wobbly saved me. They accepted return, provided return shipping label, and fully refunded.
I can not trust them any more.
02-19-2014, 10:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

At that price, you can afford to send it in and have the motor serviced.
02-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by chucuyuco Quote
Hope it works... I just bought it! Been wanting that one for awhile and the price was too good to pass up. If there are any issues I'll send it back within the return window. Hopefully I just got lucky!
Hope you get a good one. Please let us know how it goes.
02-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
I don't trust KEH's description anymore. They used to be very honest, even under represent the condition. But last time I bought a LN PENTAX-F 50/1.4 with "FRD" in the description. Anyone can guess when does it mean? I even googled and could not find any clue.
Anyway, I bought the lens, since it is LN.
It turns out "FRD" means front ring damage. And I could not get full refund because "FRD" is in the description if that is reason of return.
Even worse, the lens barrel had quite a lot wobble. And KEH didn't mention at all. No caps. paint lost..
Finally the barrel wobbly saved me. They accepted return, provided return shipping label, and fully refunded.
I can not trust them any more.
Similar thing happened to me. I have bought bargain condition lenses from them in the past and they were allways in excellent condition until my last purchase. I ordered a M85 f2 in bargain condition for $235, I received it with the barrel all beat up and with oil on the aperture blades. I called KEH and all the sales rep told me was that that is why the lens was marked as bargain. He emailed me me shipping tags but I had to pay for return shipping. I will never buy a bargain condition lens from them again.

Last edited by Roob-N-Boots; 02-19-2014 at 11:12 AM.
02-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Another user reported recently buying a DA*200 in LN condition from KEH and the SDM appears DOA. YMMV
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/252113-help-why-...autofocus.html
KEH has one of the best return policies out there, though. No fuss returns if there are issues with things, with free return shipping, and shipping of the new item.

I had a couple BGN grade items that were DOA. Exchanging was a total breeze.
02-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
KEH has one of the best return policies out there, though. No fuss returns if there are issues with things, with free return shipping, and shipping of the new item.

I had a couple BGN grade items that were DOA. Exchanging was a total breeze.
They used to be, or still be that good most time, but I last experience was very bad. An "ln" lens with "FRD" had actually broken filter ring (not bent, but 2/3 of the ring broken off). I called, and was told FRD means front ring damage and they would not responsible for return shipping and could only refund the lens cost, not the shipping to me, since the condition was stated.
02-19-2014, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
They used to be, or still be that good most time, but I last experience was very bad. An "ln" lens with "FRD" had actually broken filter ring (not bent, but 2/3 of the ring broken off). I called, and was told FRD means front ring damage and they would not responsible for return shipping and could only refund the lens cost, not the shipping to me, since the condition was stated.
That's more than fair. You should've asked more specifics before the purchase. If I was unsure about something stated in the condition, I would've asked before purchasing. Not familiar with that lens, but a lot of digital lenses will have plastic filter rings. It's not possible for a plastic ring to be bent, so I would have assumed that it was chipped or broken.

Perfectly fair policy, why should they be responsible for you not understanding their condition information?

They're very good about any issues that arise that they DON'T list, and will easily take back any grade stuff (even BGN, and I've hear UG sometimes) if it has issues not mentioned. Expecting return shipping on something they described is not fair to them.

They paid for it to be returned and refunded you because it also had an issue that was NOT listed, did they not?

I get irritated when people badmouth KEH for this reason. It seems to happen quite frequently.

EDIT: I also see that you complained it had no caps, they clearly list when lenses have caps, so expecting to receive them when they are not listed isn't quite right.
02-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
That's more than fair.

If I sell a like new lens here without photo, just state: "like new, FRD", will you accept condition like that? Will you be happy to pay return shipping cost and get partial refund? They have definition of LN, and I don't believe a lens with damaged filter ring should be described as "like new", leave alone the "FRD" with our any explanation.
plus, as I stated in the first reply, the F50/1.4 lens described as "ln" has barrel wobble, which was not mentioned at all.
I am not complaining the return policy, but their description. I am not sure if I can trust them any more.