Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Tokina AT-X 100-300mm f/4 at KEH for $133
Posted By: ChristianRock, 02-24-2014, 09:51 AM

KEH has a BGN condition Tokina AT-X 100-300 f4 for 133. I recently got a BGN lens from them that was in excellent shape to my untrained eyes... so I wouldn't be afraid of getting this - if I hadn't just gotten my Tammy 70-300 I would try and swing it...

I thought I'd give everyone a head up as this lens seems to be well regarded, and who can sneer at 300mm f4?
Views: 2,819
02-25-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
And it's gone
03-09-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
And it's gone
That was me, thanks for posting, I really like it!
03-10-2014, 06:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dunerunner Quote
That was me, thanks for posting, I really like it!
Well, post some pictures when you can

This weekend I took my A 70-210 f4 to my son's baseball game and saw that it is possible (and a lot of fun) to do sports with MF. I'm surprised at how many keepers I got (mostly by pre-focusing), and how good they turned out. So I'm still toying with the idea of getting this Tokina at some point and replacing my Tamron 70-300 with it. The Tamron serves its purpose but a high quality constant aperture zoom is just better. So, stir up my LBA showing me what this baby can do

03-10-2014, 07:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, post some pictures when you can

This weekend I took my A 70-210 f4 to my son's baseball game and saw that it is possible (and a lot of fun) to do sports with MF. I'm surprised at how many keepers I got (mostly by pre-focusing), and how good they turned out. So I'm still toying with the idea of getting this Tokina at some point and replacing my Tamron 70-300 with it. The Tamron serves its purpose but a high quality constant aperture zoom is just better. So, stir up my LBA showing me what this baby can do
I used to shot sports in college with a MF lens, it is amazing the amount of great photography was done in the past (and still today) without AF
This one is a Breeze to focus, better hand held so far then my Pentax 75-150. I bit of a beast to haul around but doable. I will be doing lots of shots with my dogs with this lens, the move fast are very unpredictable, more so than human sports and faster! I will post in the Tokina ATX PRO, and Pets thread when I can.
03-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i'd gotten one recently from cameta camera... really is a beast... mine was about 200...
imho worth twice the price... i've seen a couple on ebay recently.... highly recommend....
03-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dunerunner Quote
I will post in the Tokina ATX PRO, and Pets thread when I can.
Awesome

dcmsox: Ahhh that doesn't help LBA at all good thing those aren't an impulse buy.

03-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Someone just beat me out on the 100-300 at the Global Auction Site, $160+ was more than I have at the moment. Looks like a keeper!
03-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Someone just beat me out on the 100-300 at the Global Auction Site, $160+ was more than I have at the moment. Looks like a keeper!
That was me, lol.
Sorry...I figured $165 was a good price due to the price average in the lens database.
03-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Heck of a deal cali, enjoy it! I have a a slower 100-300 but it'in storage, doing nobody any good
03-16-2014, 06:05 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

KEH has a BGN condition Tokina AT-X 100-300 f4 for 133. I recently got a BGN lens from them that was in excellent shape to my untrained eyes... so I wouldn't be afraid of getting this - if I hadn't just gotten my Tammy 70-300 I would try and swing it...

I thought I'd give everyone a head up as this lens seems to be well regarded, and who can sneer at 300mm f4?
Please include a link when posting in this section. Thanks!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had pretty good luck with Keh with UG, or BGN conditions for a long time, but last time a UG condition gotten me a lens with fungus, but not too bad after paying someone to clean it still was a good deal, i hope you have better luck than I was
03-16-2014, 10:03 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I too have been very happy with BGN, but an UG SMC-A 24/2.8 had a few nicks on the front element. Perfectly harmless markings to my eye and images show no harm done, it's an excellent ugly lens. I feel good about paying substantially less than the going rate, but it had to be sold at a huge discount since 'discriminating' buyers won't touch a 30-yr-old lens unless its front element is flawless.

So UG does have a meaning at KEH, and I too have learned that now.
03-17-2014, 06:37 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I too have been very happy with BGN, but an UG SMC-A 24/2.8 had a few nicks on the front element. Perfectly harmless markings to my eye and images show no harm done, it's an excellent ugly lens. I feel good about paying substantially less than the going rate, but it had to be sold at a huge discount since 'discriminating' buyers won't touch a 30-yr-old lens unless its front element is flawless.

So UG does have a meaning at KEH, and I too have learned that now.
It's funny that you mention that. I had an itch to buy an UG A 24/2.8 that they've had now for a while. It's not cheap (119 dollars), especially for an UG rating. I was afraid to get it and then find out it had fungus. You just never know with UG lenses, if all it had was some ring damage I'd jump on it! But 119 for a lens with fungus would not be cool, and I'd feel bad about returning it because I'd know UG says that the lens does have something that affects optical performance. So I bought a Tokina 19-35 instead... but that A 24 is still there, taunting me!! The Tokina is great one stop down and awesome at f8 - but too soft wide open... so I'm still thinking about getting a 24...

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Please include a link when posting in this section. Thanks!
That lens is long gone now I'll remember for next time tho.
03-17-2014, 07:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Ive never tried their ugly lenses, but I've had great luck with their bargain lenses. They are usually in a lot better condition than I expected.