Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Dolica Carbon Fiber 60" Traveler Tripod for $199 + tax
Posted By: BabyTeaLeaf, 02-24-2014, 10:03 AM

Dolica CX600B502D/S Tripod. I have one of these and have been pretty happy with it. Very well built for the price. Please see link below for details/specs.

Dolica Premium Traveler 60" Carbon Fiber Tripod/Monopod with Ball Head Bundle
Views: 1,386
02-24-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
Forum Member

Thanks! How is it different from this one for 110?

Amazon.com: Dolica ZX600B300 Proline ZX Series 60-Inch Carbon Fiber Tripod with Ball Head: Electronics
02-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gemvision Quote
Honestly, I'm not sure. I haven't had a chance to compare the two. On Dolica's website, however, the CX apparently has a better build to it. "Ultra-premium" and "professional" maybe just terms for marketing, but I'd guess there's some difference in quality.
02-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
Forum Member

There must be. Looks like a great tripod!

02-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Worth the money

I bought one of these tripods from Costco a few months back and have used it quite a bit. It is by far the easiest to use tripod I've ever had (mostly had heavy cheaper ones over the years). I've carried the Dolica over my shoulder for half a day while hiking and found it is so light you don't notice it. Easy to set up and use. There was a minor problem when I first got the tripod with one of the legs -- called customer service and they walked me thru correcting the problem and I've had no more problems. I would recommend it for those who want a light weight tripod that is also easy to pack for a trip.
02-25-2014, 07:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's actually a pretty big difference between them. The "Ultra Premium" CX models are built with much better joints and milled aluminum spiders (that part that the legs attach to), as opposed to the cast components in the ZX line. Also, I think the carbon tubes and leg locks are better. I have a CX-series tripod for review, and it's much better than some earlier "Pro-line" products I've seen.
02-26-2014, 07:38 AM   #7
Forum Member

Thanks. I just ordered it from COSTCO. I'll see what it looks like next week!

What you y'all think of this brand? http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/
02-26-2014, 09:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

What you y'all think of this brand? Really Right Stuff
Never heard of 'em! Do they make tripods?

Haha - RRS makes very good stuff, but totally aimed at the very high end. I've used and reviewed their biggest ball head, and while gorgeous, it wasn't the best out there (like many who equate price to quality assume). RRS does make the best arca-swiss clamps, though...

02-27-2014, 08:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I mention that the Sirui x250 something can be had for 40$ more...
02-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #10
Forum Member

My buddy has a really right stuff tripod - offered to let me use it to see what I think.

Do the legs really make that much difference? Is the head more important?

And bdery, is the Sirui x250 much better, any why? I've already dropped a bunch more cash into photo gear than I expected - I realize that the sky is the limit here. I'm just trying to sort it all out. The nice thing about COSTCO is the easy returns!
02-27-2014, 09:37 AM   #11
Pentaxian

My buddy has a really right stuff tripod - offered to let me use it to see what I think.

Depends on who you ask. Some will say it's the dummy behind the camera that really matters, but they're just tired of carrying tripods around.
These days, almost every tripod over $200 is going to work well enough for light loads and occasional use. After that you have to do some research.

And bdery, is the Sirui x250 much better, any why? I've already dropped a bunch more cash into photo gear than I expected - I realize that the sky is the limit here. I'm just trying to sort it all out. The nice thing about COSTCO is the easy returns!
Not to answer for bdery, but the Sirui 025x is a more compact tripod than the Dolica from Costco. It folds smaller, weighs less, and it has thinner legs than the Dolica, but in general, they are probably roughly equal.
02-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The head is more important, easily. You can weight down most legs to improve stability. Legs are mainly important for their height, weight, and size when folded.

And bdery, is the Sirui x250 much better, any why?
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Not to answer for bdery, but the Sirui 025x is a more compact tripod than the Dolica from Costco. It folds smaller, weighs less, and it has thinner legs than the Dolica, but in general, they are probably roughly equal.
That's about it. The weight is a huge difference, as is the size when folded. I have Dolica legs (the cheaper and older proline 62) and they're quite ok (comapring well with 150$ aluminum legs) but I've seen the Sirui tripod and it's in another class. For a small difference in price I'd go that route. You can read a very good review here on the site.

That being said, we are now talking about small, travel tripods. These animals tend to have long central columns that must be used to get any sort of height, which can be annoying and will decrease stability.