Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Great discounts at B&H until March 6th!
Posted By: MJSfoto1956, 03-03-2014, 01:48 PM

Pentax Lenses | B&H Photo Video

Attached Images

Views: 1,654
03-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Whats up with all these discounts and aggressive pricing by Ricoh via Adorama/BHPhotovideo? Looks like Ricoh is attempting to capitalize on the K3 demand by snatching potential APSC buyers from CanNikony ?
03-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
Whats up with all these discounts and aggressive pricing by Ricoh via Adorama/BHPhotovideo? Looks like Ricoh is attempting to capitalize on the K3 demand by snatching potential APSC buyers from CanNikony ?
That's a theory. Maybe Ricoh-I. is feeling a higher calling and trying to rescue net chatter infused step-uppers and newbies from succumbing to the camera world's version of North Korean-like mind-melded uniformity! 😉
03-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
or they need to move product to make room for new stuff, and who better than B&H???!!!

Michael

03-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

...and no offense, of course, to new K-3er and also-Nikonian MJSfoto1956! -- Mr. F Photomic, F2as, FE/FE2, FM2, FG-20, F4, N80, N75, 3x Nikkormat-er...
03-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
but, but, where is your trusty F3?? :P

Michael
03-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
Prices were bumped up in 2012 and again in 2013, so it's only fair to see a sale once in a while

Here are the old prices. Comparing them to the current prices should shed some light on the matter

Brutal Pentax Lens Price Increase: 15-90% - Pentax News - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I've moved this thread to the Pentax Price Watch forum as it is not dSLR related.

03-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Prices were bumped up in 2012 and again in 2013, so it's only fair to see a sale once in a while

Here are the old prices. Comparing them to the current prices should shed some light on the matter

Brutal Pentax Lens Price Increase: 15-90% - Pentax News - PentaxForums.com
This is why I have trouble seeing the current prices as the real prices, and why (in general) the used market does too!
03-03-2014, 05:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
but, but, where is your trusty F3?? :P

Michael
Er... well, I did pick one up from evilBay and had a wee problem (surprise, surprise). I don't know, it just didn't feel right in my hand (I'm not a motor drive, battery pack guy), though I do like the HP finder. Plus a confession: Though I was pretty much the "corporate pro" back in the day (not my "real" job, though related) -- everything from photo-microscopy [specifying and purchasing... I left the rest to the lab guys], fiddling with DIY gel packs to take pics under weird, mixed factory lighting, and all the social stuff -- I dropped out from taking photos after personal circumstances changed drastically. So, um, I'm just getting back in on a strictly personal, artsy level after not having snapped a pic in twenty years! I'm a bit rusty... but I've had a lot of time to read and accumulate gear while waiting out a temporary, though persistent, disability thing. I used to be quite the minimalist (or cheapskate) for landscape/travel things on my own -- 35/2.0 and 105/2.5 AI-S lenses with an FE (sometimes, the F2/F2a); and occasionally, I'd carry the 50, a Vivitar 200/2.3 non-AI'd prime I got at a store liquidation for fifteen bucks, or the office OM-1 with 24/2.8 as a second body. More recently, I got a little case of G.A.S.

So I figure, pick up the 6x finder for my black F2as and I'm done there. Now that I've gone Pentaxian + m4/3 for all things digital (you can see Thom Hogan's blogs for my reasons not to become a Nikon DXer), I don't really know what the heck I am doing with all the Nikon film gear; except that I guess I'm just a sentimental ol' softy. That, and the fact that in my "late middle age" (ahem...) I've adopted a "horses for courses" philosophy, whereby I always take along precisely everything I need, and nothing at all superfluous, including extra ounces. ...Unlike my old CEO pal who takes a D800 and 28mm only, and leaves the 24-70 and 80-400 behind in a drawer!

I have a nice versatile set of AI/AI-S lenses at cheap prices now, and plan to adapt some for direct mounting on my spankin' new K-3... and, of course, on m4/3. I really like the idea of this new, splash-proof 60/2.8 1:1 macro at 6.5 ounces (!) on my secondhand E-PL5, BTW: Check out Ming Thein's shootout against Nikon, C. Zeiss, and Pana/Leica, if you haven't already. Great for my cherry-picked Series-E 70-150 and Tamron SP 1.4x, too, methinks. No 80-400mm monsters for me. I'm thinking more Galen Rowell...

And thanks for your insightful post on the successful K-3 experiment, Michael -- one more reason to feel good about my B&H Big Deal K-3 purchase of a few days ago. I tried to suggest to the old boss that he needed a K-3 and 60-250mm instead of the bazooka kit; not that he'd abandon the D800 -- he's got cash for all the toys he wants. I just have no idea at all why my J-PEG shootin' pal thinks he needs that big rig for telephoto. I sent him your post! Regards, Fred

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 03-03-2014 at 05:36 PM.
03-03-2014, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
This is why I have trouble seeing the current prices as the real prices, and why (in general) the used market does too!
I have a slightly different take on things: I was shooting in the early 1970s and back then a $300 item would cost $3000 in today's dollars. Or put another way, that $1200 body you are complaining about would be just $120 in 1970 dollars. And believe me, you couldn't buy a pro-level body for anything near that back then. Basically, things are at historical lows with regard to camera gear costs these days. These are great times (with great opportunities) IMHO.

Michael
03-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have a slightly different take on things: I was shooting in the early 1970s and back then a $300 item would cost $3000 in today's dollars. Or put another way, that $1200 body you are complaining about would be just $120 in 1970 dollars. And believe me, you couldn't buy a pro-level body for anything near that back then. Basically, things are at historical lows with regard to camera gear costs these days. These are great times (with great opportunities) IMHO.

Michael
Same thing with hi-fi gear, Michael. The same psychology. In 1970, dorm rooms were full of $119 Pioneer belt-drive turntables and second-hand Dual 1019's, along with the cinder block and planks "furniture". Now, we're well into a second golden age of turntables and vinyl; and having bought $59 DVD/B-R players at Wal-Mart to spin CDs, guys with $50K pickup trucks think $995 for a halfway decent turntable (even assuming they agree that vinyl done correctly sounds significantly better)... well, that's positively insane. Never mind that I can bring records home monthly from the friends of the library sale for 25 cents each -- 10 cents, if I twist their arm for a volume discount.
03-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #13
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote

Yes. Looking at the list before the massive price gouges and the list of 'sale' prices, it appears they have simply rolled back the price fixing to normal prices (give or take). They've inflated the price simply because they could.. with no benefit to the customer.

This is fairly similar to crying shortage or peak oil, raising the cost of gasoline to 5 dollars, then say 'oops nevermind', lowering it to 3, and saying it is a bargain (when it was originally under 2).

---------- Post added 03-03-14 at 07:46 PM ----------

I could see that if it cost a company $2600 to design, manufacture, distribute, and market a given item that is $3000 to the customer. However, I think we have to keep in mind manufacturing technology and the current means of doing business has advanced too where that item that cost a company $2600 in 1970 now cost them $200 (as a rough example).

There was a time when consumer grade computer hard drives held 10 Megabytes for over $500! But I'm still going to groan at a current HDD company trying to sell their 2 Terabyte drive for more than it is worth. Otherwise companies have us over a barrel if we are looking back to the past for current day pricing and saying "It is OK' if they overcharge us today.

I agree we do live in a fantastic era for photography.. especially in experimenting; I'd go broke taking all the terrible photos I have with my digi if we still only had film.
03-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Yes. Looking at the list before the massive price gouges and the list of 'sale' prices, it appears they have simply rolled back the price fixing to normal prices (give or take). They've inflated the price simply because they could.. with no benefit to the customer.

This is fairly similar to crying shortage or peak oil, raising the cost of gasoline to 5 dollars, then say 'oops nevermind', lowering it to 3, and saying it is a bargain (when it was originally under 2).

---------- Post added 03-03-14 at 07:46 PM ----------

I could see that if it cost a company $2600 to design, manufacture, distribute, and market a given item that is $3000 to the customer. However, I think we have to keep in mind manufacturing technology and the current means of doing business has advanced too where that item that cost a company $2600 in 1970 now cost them $200 (as a rough example).

There was a time when consumer grade computer hard drives held 10 Megabytes for over $500! But I'm still going to groan at a current HDD company trying to sell their 2 Terabyte drive for more than it is worth. Otherwise companies have us over a barrel if we are looking back to the past for current day pricing and saying "It is OK' if they overcharge us today.

I agree we do live in a fantastic era for photography.. especially in experimenting; I'd go broke taking all the terrible photos I have with my digi if we still only had film.
It might ease your mind a bit -- just sayin' -- if you sat in on a good college course in introductory economics. Oil is largely a commodity traded in a global marketplace, and it goes where the customers are who are willing to pay the price. And we live in a world where the more complex and arcane dances on the financial side occur on a time sale measured in milliseconds on a supercomputer. Did you know that while you were getting blitzed with propaganda during the last election about how our energy resources were supposedly being strangled by you know who, America became a net petroleum exporting nation for the first time in my not-so-short lifetime -- like when gas was 28 cents a gallon, and all that? No, I didn't think so.

As for amazing savings from the high tech fairy, have you looked at health care and other human resources costs lately as compared to 1970? And I'm afraid I have some more bad news for you: By year 2020 or so, the 500 million Asians who are counted as "middle class" by conventional measures today are projected to total 1.75 billion. And guess what? They're gonna want a lot of the same things you want. Personally, I see this as normal evolution and a great opportunity... and just plain fair. Unfortunately, the dominant political rhetoric, of which you seem to have absorbed a wee bit too much for a sensible perspective, suggests it may be a rockier adjustment here than it need be. We'll see, I guess. Meanwhile, have a beer and relax -- the puppeteers aren't as powerful as you think.
03-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #15
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
It might ease your mind a bit -- just sayin' -- if you sat in on a good college course in introductory economics. Oil is largely a commodity traded in a global marketplace, and it goes where the customers are who are willing to pay the price. And we live in a world where the more complex and arcane dances on the financial side occur on a time sale measured in milliseconds on a supercomputer. Did you know that while you were getting blitzed with propaganda during the last election about how our energy resources were supposedly being strangled by you know who, America became a net petroleum exporting nation for the first time in my not-so-short lifetime -- like when gas was 28 cents a gallon, and all that? No, I didn't think so.

As for amazing savings from the high tech fairy, have you looked at health care and other human resources costs lately as compared to 1970? And I'm afraid I have some more bad news for you: By year 2020 or so, the 500 million Asians who are counted as "middle class" by conventional measures today are projected to total 1.75 billion. And guess what? They're gonna want a lot of the same things you want. Personally, I see this as normal evolution and a great opportunity... and just plain fair. Unfortunately, the dominant political rhetoric, of which you seem to have absorbed a wee bit too much for a sensible perspective, suggests it may be a rockier adjustment here than it need be. We'll see, I guess. Meanwhile, have a beer and relax -- the puppeteers aren't as powerful as you think.
Yes, I'm aware. I'm also aware it's price is prone to speculation too. In any case, I see I've unsuspectingly hit a nerve as you've strawmanned the conversation towards healthcare and are completely assuming on my political views as well as educational background when you don't know me.

Agree with me or not, You still missed the points I was at least attempting to make being improvements in technology altering cost, so we can't look to the past to see our today costs on a lot of these items we buy. As well as companies increasing prices dramatically then lowering it moderately to give consumers the notion of value. It happens all the time. Another place to look is mattress prices. And I know you're 'just sayin' because.. well.. you just said it.