Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
K-50 Price Drop: $496 (+$50 gift card, warranty, bag)
Posted By: Adam, 03-04-2014, 02:25 AM

It looks like the authorized dealer price for the K-50 just dropped from $619 to $496.

Pentax K-50 Digial SLR Camera Body, Black, Bundle w/Adorama $50 Gift Certificate 10883 A +get a $50 gift certificate

Pentax K-50 Digital SLR Camera Body Black - B&H Photo Video

This sudden drop makes me wonder if perhaps there's a new model coming sooner than we thought. The K-50 was essentially a clone of the K-30 (2012) with a more tame appearance, and Pentax does need to bring some innovation / new features to their entry-level lineup...
Views: 2,735
03-04-2014, 04:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Maybe B&H are just clearing out slow moving stock. Perhaps it would have sold better with an articulating screen to compete with the Rebels and the D5200.
03-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I've been very happy with my K-50 that I got for $479 a few months ago. Don't understand why it's a slow seller, unless people are buying up K-30's instead (assuming they're choosing a Pentax). But I suppose other prospective buyers may be tempted to get the K-5 II instead of the K-50, particularly when the K-50 was at its $619 sale price.
03-04-2014, 12:59 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Maybe B&H are just clearing out slow moving stock. Perhaps it would have sold better with an articulating screen to compete with the Rebels and the D5200.
They can only drop the price this dramatically if a. Pentax officially runs a sale or b. MAP is dropped. The latter typically happens when a product reaches the end of its production cycle.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The long rumored K60 is on its way....

---------- Post added 03-04-14 at 04:45 PM ----------

But I tell you what...the K30 still beats the K50 or for that matter any KXX pentax body hands down in appearance department.... That white K30...ohh myy
03-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
It is also on sale at Adorama for the same price but comes with a sling bag and the extended warranty. But you do have to pay shipping. I could not resist so upgraded from my old KX.
03-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_T Quote
It is also on sale at Adorama for the same price but comes with a sling bag and the extended warranty. But you do have to pay shipping. I could not resist so upgraded from my old KX.
Nice find! With the GC only you get free shipping- I've added the info to the original post.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-04-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
And HDMI out.

03-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You put those moving screens on this body and you lose weather sealing. That is why Pentax hasn't done it.
03-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zbrueningsen Quote
You put those moving screens on this body and you lose weather sealing. That is why Pentax hasn't done it.
Fuji actually managed to pull it off with the X-T1

Adam

03-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Adam, it is possible but that camera is 3x more money. I have heard amazing things about it, but I would rather have a k3. My point is that Pentax cameras are so inexpensive for the output. We want Pentax to do all the silly gadget stuff, it will cost us.
03-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My point was price association. $496 is hardly a price point to compare to the cameras given as example against my point. I am sorry but Olympus may make some cool shifting screens, but I would be quite shocked to see their product line be superior in performance to Pentax's (Aside for AF). And your Sony cameras listed - price point. This is a a silly conversation at $500 you are getting incredible value in legacy glass and sensors that perform significantly higher than the price point suggests. If there is a significant price difference in engineering the Weather Sealed screen, it is crazy on a $500 camera.

---------- Post added 03-04-14 at 09:57 PM ----------

And quite frankly is at the end of this Adam will tell me the mx-1 is back at $199 so my wife can have a tilting screen :-)
03-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Hmm... The price point of a new K-50 or a used K-5 aren't too far apart. Which would be more attractive, I wonder?
03-04-2014, 11:22 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
Hmm... The price point of a new K-50 or a used K-5 aren't too far apart. Which would be more attractive, I wonder?
Do you care for video or live view? If those aren't your priorities, the K-5 is probably the better choice. Otherwise go for the K-50, because it's a newer body.

This table compares the key specs of the K-5 to the K-50:
Pentax K-3 Review - Specifications - PentaxForums.com

Adam

03-04-2014, 11:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
A K50 or a K30, with few reservations! Same sensor, better AF, faster live view, focus peaking, efficient video. For US $450 it looks like a great deal to me. Or get a used K30 for $350, an even better deal IMO. Or wait another 6 months for a used K5IIs for US $400