Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
D FA 100/2.8 WR $569 Amazon Marketplace
Posted By: ToyTank, 03-11-2014, 08:37 AM

DFA 100/2.8 WR. I have $1100 credit to spend at amazon, so I've been watching for them to pricematch deals like the other guys have been having. This is fulfilled by amazon, and "Another Deal Site" Has pretty good reviews. I decided to order one, I'll know thursday if all goes well.
Views: 2,306
03-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter

This is an excellent lens. It pretty much shines on K-5iis (I dont have the K-3 yet). The cleanliness of the pictures, the sharpness and the bokeh is something that you could easily get used to. The down side is you may start to dislike other lenses once you see pictures from this one and if you are a pixel peeper. A lot of people complain about the Focus hunt but that is to be expected for a 100mm fl and close focus ability (Imagine how much it can or need to seek between 2 inches and infinity). Mine is noisy and would wake a frog up if I am doing a macro shot in the back yard.
One additional note on the weather sealing.... This lens is WR and not AW (All weather) like the DA*s. Not much of a difference though but since this is a metal build it may cause condensation on the outside barrel if you switch into a warm zone from a cold zone. It is not cold proof is what I am thinking.
Enjoy your purchase. Its a keeper for that price for sure. I paid almost a $100 more than this deal price (and I thought I got a super deal back then).

Last edited by shardulm; 03-11-2014 at 09:30 AM.
03-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It's fulfilled by Amazon so they handle shipping and it's probably already at one of their warehouses. I wasn't able to spot any warranty details for "Another Deal Site", though. I suspect the lens is gray market and no USA warranty applies.

The price is fantastic; a brand new lens for less than many used copies. Worth it risk even if gray market. If the lens is DOA you can return via Amazon.

There are several other sub-$700 deals on Amazon for that lens in case the linked deal sells out.
03-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

This forum is bad for my wallet :-) Been wanting one of these for a while.

03-11-2014, 08:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
returns??

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
It's fulfilled by Amazon so they handle shipping and it's probably already at one of their warehouses. I wasn't able to spot any warranty details for "Another Deal Site", though. I suspect the lens is gray market and no USA warranty applies.

The price is fantastic; a brand new lens for less than many used copies. Worth it risk even if gray market. If the lens is DOA you can return via Amazon.
"When you order from a third party seller, your return must go to the seller instead of Amazon.com. While most sellers offer a returns policy equivalent to Amazon.com's, some seller returns policies may vary."
(Perhaps this applies only to sellers not shipped from Amazon warehouses??? Confusing as hell.)

But then there is Amazon's A-to-z Guarantee which regulates returns sold through Amazon web site which forces the seller to refund if everything is returned with valid return authorization and tracking.

It says backordered at the moment.

03-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
"When you order from a third party seller, your return must go to the seller instead of Amazon.com. While most sellers offer a returns policy equivalent to Amazon.com's, some seller returns policies may vary."
(Perhaps this applies only to sellers not shipped from Amazon warehouses??? Confusing as hell.)

But then there is Amazon's A-to-z Guarantee which regulates returns sold through Amazon web site which forces the seller to refund if everything is returned with valid return authorization and tracking.

It says backordered at the moment.

Yes, but if it is shipped prime, or fulfilled by amazon, then returns are handled through amazon directly.

---------- Post added 03-12-14 at 12:01 AM ----------

also, not showing back ordered when I look. Mine has shipped, set delivery on thursday.
03-12-2014, 06:24 AM   #7

Ok...you convinced me!!! There were 3 in stock this morning. I ordered one and just checked again. There is one left now. I received a 50-135 f2.8 Pentax lens "fulfilled by Amazon" for Christmas a couple of years ago and have had no problem with it. Here's hoping that this is the case with this lens since it is not from Adorama or B&H. On purchases like this, I only order through Amazon Prime or "fulfilled by Amazon" just because you deal directly with Amazon if there is a problem.
03-12-2014, 08:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
A lot of people complain about the Focus hunt

True, in some cases, but micro-adjustments are just fine. As a short tele it almost never hunts. In macro it can hunt, but quick-shift takes care of that.

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
Mine is noisy

That is true when it hunts, less so for micro-adjustments, I've found.

03-12-2014, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #9

I have to echo this comment "this forum is bad to my wallet" I think I got the last one! Tried Adorama to see if they could price match but it was too low for them...
03-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
WR and quick shift is nice, but I think I'll miss the focus limiter and aperture ring on my tamron 90/2.8. Funny thing is the I only bought the Tamron cause I couldn't afford the Pentax to begin with......Now I'll have both so I better sell one......LBA my wallets mortal enemy
03-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #11

Did anyone verify that this e
Is a new lens? I can't find where it normally says new or used lens. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.
03-12-2014, 01:13 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clostoyo Quote
Did anyone verify that this e
Is a new lens? I can't find where it normally says new or used lens. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.
Look here, under condition column, it says new.
03-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by ToyTank Quote
Look here, under condition column, it says new.
Thanks, i seen it when i went to my desktop. The mobile app didn't show me that.
03-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #14

Guess who bought the last one @ $569! Can not wait to get this
baby home.
03-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clostoyo Quote
Can not wait to get this
baby home.
I feel the same way, it's one of those almost to good to be true deals, but at least with amazon it's easy and free to return if it's a ceiling fan, or the older non-WR D FA, or some other shenanigans.