Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
B&H phone order for 55-300 HD WR for $379
Posted By: jpsassy1965, 03-31-2014, 11:32 AM

I just bought a 55-300 HD WR lens for $379 at B&H. You have to phone in your order to get that price. Call and follow the prompt to the pro dept as I don't think any one else knows about it.
Views: 2,600
03-31-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent deal!
03-31-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Phone prices are lower on many items sold at MAP online, like the DA*'s too.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-31-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
mee
Veteran Member

How does payment work with those? Do they email you a special link to order or do you have to give them payment info over an unsecured phone line?

03-31-2014, 04:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Wow thats a great deal. A whopping 16% off just by calling in The original price is $450 BTW.
03-31-2014, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
How does payment work with those? Do they email you a special link to order or do you have to give them payment info over an unsecured phone line?
The NSA is watching either way....
03-31-2014, 07:23 PM   #7
mee
Veteran Member

Also, in addition to my questions above, I wonder if we can somehow get a list of phone order prices... 16% off the 55-300 WR is a nice discount.

Slightly bummy thing for me is I ordered one of these off of ebay new for around 395.... yesterday. oops.

03-31-2014, 08:15 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Also, in addition to my questions above, I wonder if we can somehow get a list of phone order prices... 16% off the 55-300 WR is a nice discount.

Slightly bummy thing for me is I ordered one of these off of ebay new for around 395.... yesterday. oops.
Yes you give them the info over the phone. Can't be anymore dangerous than doing it over the net.
03-31-2014, 08:31 PM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpsassy1965 Quote
Yes you give them the info over the phone.
Oh I see.. thank you for the information.
04-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like it's always worth calling B&H when buying Pentax lens. I just ordered the 55-300 for $379 (w/free UPS shipping), so the deal is still good. The guy I talked too couldn't explain the discrepancy between the online and phone prices, he said he'd only seen it with Pentax so it sounds like there may be other similar deals.

And yes, I just gave them all the info over the phone, just like the old days before the internet and online shopping. There's always a risk but I don't think it's any greater than doing it online.

Edited to add a big THANK YOU! to jpsassy1965 for starting this thread. I never would have seen the deal otherwise.

Last edited by JimS_256; 04-01-2014 at 06:37 PM.
04-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I wonder how they decide which lenses to offer cheaper via telephone orders. Do they sell any of the limited lenses at a discount? Or just the "regular" DA line?
04-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #12
Ace

I just saw a B&H web add that listed the Pentax 18-135 with a "phone only" special price, no price listed. When you click the add it sends you to B&H with regular web price showing. It would be nice to have an area where people can list the "phone only" prices. I have always ordered over the web, thinking it was easier for both parties, and now I feel like I have missed out on better prices.
04-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #13
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
You are much, much more likely to have your information stolen during an internet transaction (even an SSL one) than you are to have it stolen from a phone conversation, unless someone is physically listening over your shoulder. Out of mail order, internet, or telephone transaction, the telephone is by far the safest.

Thanks. I know you are trying to help, but the point I've been trying to avoid making is I didn't ask for anyone's opinion on my choice in how I conduct business. I merely asked if one had to complete the transaction over the phone or could do it via the internet. But then I get opinions on my choices... it is surreal... and mildly frustrating.
04-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks. I know you are trying to help, but the point I've been trying to avoid making is I didn't ask for anyone's opinion on my choice in how I conduct business. I merely asked if one had to complete the transaction over the phone or could do it via the internet. But then I get opinions on my choices... it is surreal... and mildly frustrating.
Hi mee,

If I were you, I wouldn't get too frustrated. Your original question about it said "or do you have to give them payment info over an unsecured phone line?" And a poster or two tried to correct what appeared to be your misconception. Now maybe you just typed it funny, but still - no need to get bent out of shape, as you say they are just trying to help.
04-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #15
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Hi mee,

If I were you, I wouldn't get too frustrated. Your original question about it said "or do you have to give them payment info over an unsecured phone line?" And a poster or two tried to correct what appeared to be your misconception. Now maybe you just typed it funny, but still - no need to get bent out of shape, as you say they are just trying to help.
Thanks. I'm quite calm. I understand you and most folks here are trying to be friendly/helpful and so am I. I mean, I wasn't intending to ruffle feathers, but my comments were worded correctly -- I stand by them; I understand both systems and the limitations behind them.

I think, the real issue here is, everyone gets too comfortable with one another on these forums. They think, then, that everything is debatable.