Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pentax Fa 400mm F5.6
Posted By: grzesiek, 04-03-2014, 06:15 PM

Used from B&H 899.95 Used Pentax Telephoto SMCP-FA 400mm f/5.6 ED IF Autofocus 24580

Views: 5,224
04-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice find! That's a pretty good price actually.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, that did not last long. SOLD!
04-04-2014, 05:38 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow that was cheap

04-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
False hope huge let down!

The old bait and switch just happened at b&h photo.

I purchased the fa*400 f5.6 for k mount and they send me the 645 version of the lens! One the sold me is silver the one i received is black!

How do you mix up these lenses. I think my deal of the century became the dud of the year. Ups just dropped it off, i am pissed and insanely disappointed. I just sold my 150-500mm lens on the forum knowing i was getting this lens and it is unusable and incompatible.

Any help b&h? I want the lens i purchased!!!
04-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kraigg007 Quote
I purchased the fa*400 f5.6 for k mount and they send me the 645 version of the lens! One the sold me is silver the one i received is black!
That sucks, big time. I know how you feel... a lot of build-up and waiting goes into changing around your lens selection and now you are blowing in the wind and will have to wait again until it gets fixed. I thought it was just me.
04-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sorry to hear that.

Last edited by grahame; 04-23-2014 at 10:02 AM.
04-11-2014, 02:32 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hate to be "that guy" but in B&H's defence the listing was for an FA not an FA* so the error was in the photo used, not the listing. Or should it have been listed as an FA 645 400mm? I'm sure B&H will make good with a refund, but I understand the buyer's disappointment.

04-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #9

B&H Did me wrong for the last time

I am done with B&H. They offered a return and no replacement. They did offer me 3.5 then 5% off of a $4000 lens, but i didn't feel like spending an extra $3000 because of their mistake.

I am done with B&H Photo. I have spent too much money at that place just to be done wrong like this. I now have no Telephoto lens for my son's rowing event.

Adorama, welcome to the family. I am done dealing with the reward dollar switcheroos and now this?????

I am now part of AA....Adorama and Amazon.

PEACE B&H Photo. I know know what the B stands for.
04-11-2014, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They offered a return and no replacement.
I can understand your disappointment. However, I'm not sure what you want them to do, it's not like anyone has a stack of FA*400 lenses laying around. They don't have what you want, not sure how they can get you something they don't have. I know you got excited about getting a great lens for a steal, but the price alone should have been a red flag.
04-11-2014, 11:30 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
...but the price alone should have been a red flag.
And the Pentax #. No web page is perfect. They ALL need to be scrutinized (especially Amazon as they have so many "contributors").
04-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I can understand your disappointment. However, I'm not sure what you want them to do, it's not like anyone has a stack of FA*400 lenses laying around. They don't have what you want, not sure how they can get you something they don't have. I know you got excited about getting a great lens for a steal, but the price alone should have been a red flag.
What I wanted them to do is make the situation right. The could have given me the option to buy a like lens at cost, the could have admitted their mistake and given me a gift card for a substanitL amount, or the could have said the next time we get in a FA 400 lens it is yours at the $900 price you paid for it. Any one of these would have made me happy. They didn't offer me any reasonable option for their mistake.
04-11-2014, 01:00 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The could have given me the option to buy a like lens at cost,
There isn't one.
the could have admitted their mistake and given me a gift card for a substanitL amount,
Why? You are not out of pocket for anything. I assume they paid the shipping back and refunded your full cost, right?
the could have said the next time we get in a FA 400 lens it is yours at the $900 price you paid for it.
The going price for a FA*400 is likely double that. I honestly have not found one under $2k, and I've been looking for about 18 months. And who knows when or if they ever get one in stock? Maybe it's because I've been looking for so long but the first thing I check is if it is k-mount or 645. Lot's of 645 ones on ebay that the description implies is k-mount, mostly because the seller does not know any better. And yes B&H should know better. They made a mistake, they made it right.

Not trying to pick a fight with you, if you want to be mad at them that's your right. But I honestly think they did everything they should have and more. You are not out of pocket for anything and they offered a 5% credit against a different lens. Not sure which lens is $4k though. The Sigma 500mm?
04-11-2014, 01:41 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
There isn't one.

Why? You are not out of pocket for anything. I assume they paid the shipping back and refunded your full cost, right?

The going price for a FA*400 is likely double that. I honestly have not found one under $2k, and I've been looking for about 18 months. And who knows when or if they ever get one in stock? Maybe it's because I've been looking for so long but the first thing I check is if it is k-mount or 645. Lot's of 645 ones on ebay that the description implies is k-mount, mostly because the seller does not know any better. And yes B&H should know better. They made a mistake, they made it right.

Not trying to pick a fight with you, if you want to be mad at them that's your right. But I honestly think they did everything they should have and more. You are not out of pocket for anything and they offered a 5% credit against a different lens. Not sure which lens is $4k though. The Sigma 500mm?

Not trying to pick a fight with you either, but I am out, I sold my long telephoto lens and shipped it prior to getting this one.

The only comparable lens is the prime Sigma 500mm. And yes, $150 off that lens that is $4000 is not a great deal when you were planning on spending a quarter of that for a superior lens.

I am upset with B&H because when I got off the phone speaking with a customer service rep and Isreal the used customer service manager I didn't feel valued as a customer and they didn't make me whole with just the return.

I have other options and I will use them. They have the right to do what is best for their company, and if have the right to spend my dollars with companies who value having me as a customer. In the last 6 months I have spent over $5k with them and they did this to me. I deserve better and that is that.
04-11-2014, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

I sold my long telephoto lens and shipped it prior to getting this one.
Why don't you see if your buyer would like to resell it back to you? Maybe he or she didn't like it or wants to be extra nice. Or maybe you can pay them a little profit.

M
Closed Thread