Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Sony A-7 great price.... at Henry's
Posted By: normhead, 06-05-2014, 10:32 AM

I can't seem to locate the price watch heading so, I'll put this here. Henry's is selling the kits they used for the workshops they did at the recent EXPOsure show. I don't know how many are left but here's the ad. With adapter this camera will use your K-mount lenses in manual mode, and there are many example images on the forum....

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/247282-pentax-lenses-ff-club.html

For those of you really serious about Pentax glass on a digital FF camera, this is a great deal. I'm not even interested, but I had to go to the page and read about it, just some strange fascination I guess.

Sale Price: $1,349.99, 730 off, for camera, kit lens, and bag.

LAB SONY ALPHA A7 EXPOSURE DEMO KIT

If you like that FF look but didn't want to spend a lot of money, here's an FF with a lens for little more than the price of a K-3.
Views: 1,092
06-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dang, nice price. I saw that workshop going on, and people were barely touching the cameras... mainly looking at the presenter and their big screen. Maybe I missed where they headed out into the parking lot for roller derby!

I also find it humorous that Henry's has one photo of the A7 kit and 3 photos of the Nikon D5300 in that listing...
06-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hey Panoguy, what was the Pentax Booth like, could you tell they shut down their repair facility, as in the absence of camera techs... or guys updating software for people and stuff. Who was there?
06-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sounds nice for those with the FA limiteds... Id be interested if it was a A7r body only... I read the K-3 has similar results as A7 at low ISOs

06-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hey Panoguy, what was the Pentax Booth like, could you tell they shut down their repair facility, as in the absence of camera techs... or guys updating software for people and stuff. Who was there?
I was talking to Dan S. most of the time, but I did see David and (I think her name is) Carol (or Crystal?). Maybe 5 or 6 staff answering questions and letting folks try out a little "shoot a macro" setup. I wasn't all that interested in much beyond talk and wish-list gear... you can read my impressions of the 645Z here. Drool-worthy! The booth was rather small, but very open and busy in the afternoon. Giant stack of colored Q7's, of course, and some other stuff hiding behind the overpowering glow of awesome from the 645Z (K-3, some lenses, meh... stuff like that!).

Did not know the repair guys were gone, though there was a period where Ricoh laid off a lot of folks after the acquisition, apparently in hopes of moving Ricoh Canada staff over there. That didn't pan out, and lots of the, then ex-Pentax Canada, folks were rehired, particularly the field reps.
06-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Sounds nice for those with the FA limiteds... Id be interested if it was a A7r body only... I read the K-3 has similar results as A7 at low ISOs
So you'd be interested in an A7s ? Thats the low noise at high ISO version. The R is the high resolution version.
06-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sounds nice for those with the FA limiteds...
I don't have any FA Ltds but quite a few K, M and A's. Judging by how they perform on NEX with an adapter, I think most of them would do fine on A7.
06-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So you'd be interested in an A7s ? Thats the low noise at high ISO version. The R is the high resolution version.
No, the A7r to take advantage of highr resolution with F28 F50, FA100 lenses. If It was the A7, I meant I can get the same IQ with the limiteds on K-3 plus autofocus and AE

---------- Post added 06-05-14 at 07:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I don't have any FA Ltds but quite a few K, M and A's. Judging by how they perform on NEX with an adapter, I think most of them would do fine on A7.
Thats a good point. But only a few of them re really good. From the ones Ive tried: K28/3.5, K35/3.5, M50/4 woulkd be interedting to see

06-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
only a few of them re really good.
Some are simply optically excellent, others also just have unique character or rendering. There's lots of reasons to like old Pentax glass.

Just ask the hordes of people buying old Pentax lenses already to use them with adapters on NEX, A7, Fuji and even Canon.
06-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Where?
06-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Where?
The review made in this forum for example

---------- Post added 06-05-14 at 09:34 PM ----------

Also, take a look at the comparometerat ISO 100: Imaging Resource "Comparometer"
06-06-2014, 07:51 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Some are simply optically excellent, others also just have unique character or rendering. There's lots of reasons to like old Pentax glass.

Just ask the hordes of people buying old Pentax lenses already to use them with adapters on NEX, A7, Fuji and even Canon.
May be. The thing is I just know the Pentax lenses, so I just can compare between them. And although fun, I do find a lot of issues with most old lenses, thats why I sold most of them and replaced them with modern versions.
06-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have to agree, the lenses that stand up to modern standards are still being made and sold and many of them have been recently updated with HD coatings. The ones that don't have been discontinued or replaced in the line up. We really like my FA 50 1.7, but would I buy it instead of the DA 50 1.8 which always seems to be on sale at $170? It's hard to argue the modern version is better, but it's less than half the cost. That in itself is going to make it a lot more popular than the FA.

The one question that never seems to be answered by people who love one or more of the older lenses, is "why was this lens cancelled?" The only simple answer is that the company no longer felt, the lens focal length, quality or whatever, was viable. I love my A-400. But you couldn't sell a 400mm lens with that kind of fringing today, except for the price I paid for it, $400. There's no way they could make that lens for $400 today, purple fringing and all. In most cases there's something just as good for cheaper, or there's something more expensive that is much better. It's hard to watch people championing lenses that were mid range level lenses to begin with.

Except that, for a person who loves one of those old lenses, they are a lot of fun. I know my old Vivatar 135 ƒ2.8 stinks, but every now and then I get it out, do the green button thing, and have a great time. And honestly, if you can take your time, take steps to avoid the fringing and use it to it's strength, you get images with character, and the lens design mentality of another age. I don't want anymore of them, but I don't mind having one...for when I'm feeling lucky.

Last edited by normhead; 06-06-2014 at 08:28 AM.