Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

The bargain of the century, the mother of all great deals, I just can't believe this!
Posted By: Fontan, 06-23-2014, 08:51 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

New Pentax Da 70mm F2 4 Limited Lens with 1 Year Warranty Silver | eBay

They have 5 available!

OMG!!
Views: 6,005
07-04-2014, 04:41 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Yes... I already expected that you and many others would not be interested in the central issue under examination, which is one about values, personal and social responsibility, the relationship of the arts to community; and if not respect, at least tolerance for matters of cultural diversity. It is, as you are correct by implication, effectively redundant to catalog the Dystopian character of the cultural mores in question; since the music business is in shambles, many of the most hyped 'divas' are basically strippers, and aspiring composers are told by the editors of magazines about music creation that they should just regard anything they create as "public domain" and to try to get by selling "merch" -- hey, Ellington, sell t-shirts! You get what you pay for -- exactly in this case -- and yes, I understand that you don't care.

I am happy you responded, though (no sarcasm), as I much prefer to see the editorial downsized and effectively side-barred. I think that's appropriate here. Suffice it to say that I have spoken extensively with the creative engineers who have had to cope with the effects of the arbitrary, inconsistent, commercially and politically corrupted, and often just plain irrational rules of the game surrounding digital audio. This has presented extremely difficult technical problems to those who value the art of making quality music, and those who are concerned with the logistics of disseminating it. Many will know of Neil Young's efforts on the "pop" side of this issue. All this time... and even he is yet to really win one.

Denon Link always was an inherently clumsy workaround/stop-gap solution to an artificially created problem. But it's something to respect when some corporation or some individual cares enough to go to such lengths -- commercially unprofitable ones, I might add -- in an attempt to preserve the integrity of our good-to-great music. High end cables are an option only -- a PERSONAL one -- but, due to the laws of physics, an inconvenient fact of life for some. The engineering concerns are esoteric... the effects of substandard design and manufacture quite clearly audible in reproduction chains of sufficient quality. There are good cables and bad cables, good buys and bad ones. And the true specialty items in photography are expensive, too, and always have been. That's just the way it works. Philistines throwing rocks is not something that is helpful; and this leads to no creative solutions.

Furthermore, it involves unwarranted, intrusive, and altogether uncouth personal insult in so many instances, coming from under-educated and aggressive male youth, self-promoting hucksters like the "Amazing" Randi, and political extremists like Rebecca Watson. Photographers simply don't have to put up with this, over and over, year after year, thankfully...

We're are really, in the end, just talking about regular people who are simply trying to make their own homes what they want them to be in one certain respect. Why the hostility?

"Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing." -- Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 07-25-2014 at 03:08 PM.
07-25-2014, 01:00 PM   #32
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Australia has its own excellent deals on eBay:
Pentax SMC 31mm F1 8 FA AL Limited AF Lens Black 027075051157 | eBay
Pentax SMC DA 50 135mm F 2 8 ED IF SDM Lens 027075129276 | eBay
Most other things this seller has listed are reasonably priced. I don't understand their rationale for putting such figures on these lenses.
07-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #33
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Perhaps they meant HKD instead of USD.
I believe you are right. I've seen several ads on eBay at similarly absurd prices, and I concluded that someone is failing at currency conversion.