Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Adorama : K mount Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 $199.99
Posted By: jogiba, 07-04-2014, 01:55 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Rokinon 85mm F 1 4 Aspherical Lens for DSLR Cameras | eBay

Views: 12,669
07-16-2014, 07:54 AM   #46
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Susinok Quote
I got my lens today! It is hefty and very nice.

The shipping - it was packed in the Rokinon box with it's plastic standard cell-pack inside the thin cardboard box. That box was put into a mylar mailing envelope. There are so many ways that shipping could have gone wrong! The lens is in fine condition, as is the box, but I think I just got lucky.

When I bought my lens from B&H the lens box was packed inside a cardboard box with extra large cell-pack wrapped around it. Much more secure.

Is this common with Adorama shipping? This is the first time I've ordered from them.
Just checked the tracking information on mine, and it's at the depot in the town next to where I live -- so good chance I'll be getting it today, as well. Never ordered from Adorama before, so this will be my first experience. Hope that I'm as lucky as you

07-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
Just checked the tracking information on mine, and it's at the depot in the town next to where I live -- so good chance I'll be getting it today, as well. Never ordered from Adorama before, so this will be my first experience. Hope that I'm as lucky as you
Here's hoping! My husband said I should complain, but nothing is wrong with the lens. I don't want to complain about something that COULD have happened (not to them at any rate).
07-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #48
Closed Account

Here's hoping! My husband said I should complain, but nothing is wrong with the lens. I don't want to complain about something that COULD have happened (not to them at any rate).
Agreed. You received it safe and sound, so that's what really matters. And no go on my lens. Tracking says that UPS transferred it to the local post office, so maybe tomorrow, which will be good -- because the weekend is just about here
07-17-2014, 08:19 AM   #49

Photos: Gallery
I bought one last year, its a great lens.. but right after i bought the lens the aperture got stuck at 1.4. I live in India so i had to send it back to US and return it. Amazon didnt fully refund the money.. and that makes me wary to buy anything again from Rokinon or Samyang.

07-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #50

I received my order yesterday.It is Not the same Len as this one.The len that came had a Yellow color Ring .The out side also look different.It is an old Mode i think !
I called Adorama to ask about it .They say i ordered through Ebay ,not from Them.If i don't like it go to Ebay and Return it to Adorama on Ebay web.
That is Not Right for Our Pentax ordered through this Link ! .When have problem they say it is Not order throught Adorama.The Email of my ordered # 14652906 from Adorama.
I will not buy from Adorama from Now on,
steve
07-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@Susinok the same thing happened to me last year and the item I ordered was never sealed in the envelope. Their shipping sucks !! I might buy something from them so I can return it and include a copy of How To Win Friends and Influence People for the head of their shipping department. I'm pretty sure the cost of a box is built into their shipping charges.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/2...ping-ball.html

Last edited by littledrawe; 07-17-2014 at 10:16 AM.
07-17-2014, 05:08 PM   #52
Closed Account

Received the lens today. Like Susinok, I'll just be thankful that it doesn't seem like it was damaged. Packaging was really bad. Just the lens box placed inside an extremely thin padded envelope that was way too large for the box. Since there is no padded protection inside the lens box itself, I would say it was basically shipped in an unprotected state. They might as well have just put the lens box on the truck, and called it a day. The box isn't sealed either, so thankful that it didn't pop open in transit. So that covers shipping.

The lens itself...I'll give it another day where I can really use it -- but only after I take a close look at their return policy (especially the timeline allowed). I just took a few jpeg snaps from 1.4-2.0 around the front yard, and it's just a purple/green fringing machine. Everything from my cat's whiskers, to the rougher end of a 4x4 end post -- and everything in between. I think those apertures are unusable for shooting jpegs. 44/50 snaps had some kind of really obvious fringing, and 35 had both green and purple. I know that's all removed easily enough in LR, but I also know that I can take my DA 50mm, and pretty much shoot worry free, so kind of a letdown.

The build quality feels really solid, but there is a weird sound made at one end of the focus ring. Focus is smooth, but it sounds like something rubbing on something. The hood is every bit as cheap as people say it is, though I'm surprised that it doesn't click in place when you use it/store it. Just stops turning, and you're done.

I'm gonna take it out this weekend (if I'm safe on the return policy) and put a couple hundred snaps through it, see how it goes stopped down, etc. So we'll see.

07-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #53
Veteran Member

thats a lot of fringing...
07-18-2014, 11:17 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I looked at my lens last night when I got home. It is the gold band version, not the red one pictured on the Ebay listing.

I took a few pictures and I did like the feel and build of it. I have not been able to look at those, however, because I've had a week of thunderstorms and have not had my computer on.

I will say that I don't think I will ever buy a thing from Adorama again. The combination of poor shipping and not getting what I purchased, well... that's it for me. My first impression was very poor and a lasting one.

I have not decided whether to return it or not. It is a nice lens even if it is not exactly as advertised. Once I can pull up my pictures and take a few more in sunlight, I will decide. Should I ship it back, wrapped in bubble wrap, in an old B&H Box?

This is the lens I received. Link goes to B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/769398-REG/Rokinon_85M_P_85mm_f_1_4_Aspherical_Lens.html

Considering B&H's price is 299, I did get it at $100 less.

Last edited by Susinok; 07-18-2014 at 11:54 AM.
07-18-2014, 11:54 AM   #55
Closed Account

I looked at my lens last night when I got home. It is the gold band version, not the red one pictured on the Ebay listing.

I took a few pictures and I did like the feel and build of it. I have not been able to look at those, however, because I've had a week of thunderstorms and have not had my computer on.

I will say that I don't think I will ever buy a thing from Adorama again. The combination of poor shipping and not getting what I purchased, well... that's it for me. My first impression was very poor and a lasting one.

I have not decided whether to return it or not. It is a nice lens even if it is not exactly as advertised. Once I can pull up my pictures and take a few more in sunlight, I will decide. Should I ship it back, wrapped in bubble wrap, in an old B&H Box?
Yeah, I have the model with the gold band, too... I think we're mirroring each other on feelings for this so far. I just picked up a new focusing screen for my K-50 from B&H, and the shipping experience was what it should have been, and we're talking about a $40 item that's a lot less fragile than a camera lens. I only have one local choice for Pentax gear (they are pretty expensive, and sometimes rude, but also pretty helpful if you have thick skin), so I rely for online shops when purchasing. Comparing the two experiences makes it pretty easy for me to just go with B&H, and call it a day.
07-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
Yeah, I have the model with the gold band, too... I think we're mirroring each other on feelings for this so far. I just picked up a new focusing screen for my K-50 from B&H, and the shipping experience was what it should have been, and we're talking about a $40 item that's a lot less fragile than a camera lens. I only have one local choice for Pentax gear (they are pretty expensive, and sometimes rude, but also pretty helpful if you have thick skin), so I rely for online shops when purchasing. Comparing the two experiences makes it pretty easy for me to just go with B&H, and call it a day.
I've used B&H since back in the 90s and have always had good service from them, so I'm decided. I think, however, that I will keep the lens. I do not have anything in a prime that fast in that focal length and that speed, so it will probably stay in my collection.
07-18-2014, 12:12 PM   #57

I've used B&H since back in the 90s and have always had good service from them, so I'm decided. I think, however, that I will keep the lens. I do not have anything in a prime that fast in that focal length and that speed, so it will probably stay in my collection.
Yes i also received the Same len as all of you got From Adorama at Ebay Web side.
They sent out the old model len !

Last edited by stevewong; 07-18-2014 at 12:19 PM.
07-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Sorry to hear that this didn't work out as well as anticipated for you guys. Beautiful bokeh on all of those shots... and the Camaro shot is exceptional......except for the fringing... that's unforgivable. Hope you're all able to either easily return your lens or figure out how to avoid its faults.
07-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #59

Photos: Gallery
Just want to share some pics taken with this lens..
07-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #60
Veteran Member

I got my lens today! It is hefty and very nice.

The shipping - it was packed in the Rokinon box with it's plastic standard cell-pack inside the thin cardboard box. That box was put into a mylar mailing envelope. There are so many ways that shipping could have gone wrong! The lens is in fine condition, as is the box, but I think I just got lucky.

When I bought my lens from B&H the lens box was packed inside a cardboard box with extra large cell-pack wrapped around it. Much more secure.

Is this common with Adorama shipping? This is the first time I've ordered from them.
I'd say yes, from my not exactly pleasant experiences with these people. +1 for B&H here... strongly.

I have paid more elsewhere just to stay clear of Adorama and their deals. This has been cheaper at the end of the day than trusting them. Sorry to have to say that.

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 07-22-2014 at 08:34 AM.