Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread

Adorama : K mount Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 $199.99
Posted By: jogiba, 07-04-2014, 01:55 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Rokinon 85mm F 1 4 Aspherical Lens for DSLR Cameras | eBay

Views: 12,703
07-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #61
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
To their credit, they issued me a postage paid return label (instead of at my cost, like their ebay store returns require), and I dropped it off at a UPS depot this morning. On top of the fringing and grinding focus ring, it was also getting stuck wide open. Happened a couple times over the weekend. Being that they're out of stock, I was hoping there was something I could do with the aperture lever to loosen it up, but was advised not to mess with it. Adorama emailed me this morning, offering to sell me the single model they have onsite, at the full $299 price, then have me return my defective unit with the new invoice (so it's a wash on price) w/free shipping. I'd already dropped it off, so no go.

We'll see how the replacement is shipped, and if it's in good working order. If not, I'll just return it for a refund this time, and walk away a little wiser

07-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We'll I'm in the process of sending mine back to Adorama Ebay. I'm having similar issues of extremely bad fringing at larger apertures (1.4 to 2.8) and my copy is really tight to get on and off the camera. So tight I don't feel comfortable putting it back on the camera for fear it may get stuck.

I hope I can get a better copy back as I do like the lens. The bokeh is really nice wide open, not busy but pleasing to the eye IMHO. The focus ring on mines is just right. Just the right amount of friction to make focusing really easy. I've never had a lens this fast so I had a bit of a problem at first with missing focus when shooting wide open and up to F 2.8 with the razor thin DOF but I turned on live view and with the focus peaking feature on the K3 I started getting a lot more keepers. So if you have this problem with your copy shoot with live view turned on and you will enjoy this lens. I really do hope to get a better copy in return.

Oh and I did a little informal test with the Rokinon against my Pentax SMC f3.5 A35-105mm at roughly 85mm. Since they are both manual focus lenses (one prime and one zoom) I thought it would be nice to see the difference. The Rokinon at F3.5 and F8 compared very well against the Pentax. I must admit I really love my Pentax A35-105 so the Rokinon was already in trouble . Anyway the Rokinon did do better at larger apertures but things evened out as I got closer to F8. Smoother/creamier bokeh at larger apertures but the Pentax colors are hard to beat. I'll let you all know once I get my copy back.
07-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #63
Closed Account

Good luck with getting a replacement. I sent mine back last week, the person working with me said that they would have replacement stock in quickly - but i just received a PayPal refund this morning, with no explanation. I went ahead and emailed them to find out what the deal is, and why things changed without any notice to me.
07-31-2014, 06:28 PM   #64
Closed Account

They responded saying that they now weren't expecting any back in stock, so they just refunded me. So there you go.

EDIT: But when I go to their retail site, you can put a Pentax mount lens in your cart -- and proceed to checkout. The one on their site appears to be the same model they had listed on the deal -- which was not the model (to the best of my knowledge) that any of us received.

I've emailed them asking for an explanation, because none of this feels right to me at this point.

Last edited by esrandall; 07-31-2014 at 07:51 PM.
08-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #65
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
They responded saying that they now weren't expecting any back in stock, so they just refunded me. So there you go.

EDIT: But when I go to their retail site, you can put a Pentax mount lens in your cart -- and proceed to checkout. The one on their site appears to be the same model they had listed on the deal -- which was not the model (to the best of my knowledge) that any of us received.

I've emailed them asking for an explanation, because none of this feels right to me at this point.
I don't know if they can do that even here in the US where the corporation is all powerful...that was YOUR property not theirs. Your CC company might be very helpful in getting you a replacement. See they failed to allow you to send it in for service from the manufacturer.

You're right, it smells and feels like the OLD Adorama (or all the old NYC Camera stores) way of business, big time.
08-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
one hundred and six dollars postage to Australia!!?? damn it!
Yeow well most things that seem to good to be true usually are 😀
08-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just got my refund . No replacement for me

08-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #68
Closed Account

After they refunded me, and i discovered they had units in stock, i sent them a long email expressing my frustration and confusion. They are honoring the deal price, and sending me another lens. I also asked about why the picture from the listing was different than what we received. He didnt really have an answer for that, instead reiterating that they would honor the price, and send me a new in the box lens.

So looks like a good effort to make things right. To be honest, i had pretty much given up, and was just going to put the money towards something else, so this was a surprise. Hoping it will be a pleasant surprise.
08-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #69
Forum Member

Other than what the exterior looks like, what is the optical difference between the old and the new model?
08-08-2014, 10:49 PM   #70
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by turbosaturn Quote
Other than what the exterior looks like, what is the optical difference between the old and the new model?
No idea if there is one, though I think that should deliver what you advertise. In between all of the problems, I got some nice images from the lens, so if they send me the exact same model, that will be just fine. Though I don't think I'll ever be buying from them again.
08-09-2014, 02:16 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I ordered this lens back in July, and have had none of the issues others have described here in this forum. The lens I received (with gold label and ring) looks exactly like it is pictured on Rokinon's actual site, so I can't figure out why folks are thinking they received an old model from Adorama. I do believe on the original ebay Adorama listing the picture was not the Pentax mount, but another brand, as was pointed out I think earlier in this thread.

Oh, there was one issue; like others, I was dismayed at the flimsiness of the packaging for shipping. I have not had any problems with substandard packaging when ordering from Adorama proper, but this purchase from their ebay store was different story.

I like the lens quite a lot. Focusing is smooth as silk. Pictures are sharp, with no fringing that I can see, given the limitations of the photographer (me). Good luck to all!

Rokinon.com | Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical Lens for Pentax DSLR Cameras - 85mm f/.4 Portrait

Last edited by missy13; 08-09-2014 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Adding one caveat about shipping.
08-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #72
Closed Account

Just received my replacement. Focus ring is good, but there are three good size blemishes in the coatings on the rear element. It fringes almost as bad as the first one, and it's so soft below f/2.8, that it's not worth keeping. Soft to the point that i thought I was simply missing focus. I can shoot my Tamron 90 wide open if I want f/2.8. I bought the lens for that major league subject isolation, and i got it with the first copy (albeit with a ton of fringing). I know this lens is highly rated, but two bad copies + all of the hassle just isnt worth it. With the big misunderstanding in the middle of this, they should have tested the copy, instead of have me wait 11 days to get another turd. Lesson learned, refund requested, and never again. The one thing that went right on this replacement. Was the packaging. The lens was well packed this time, the way it should always be.