Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
64Gb 80Mb/s SD card: $31.95
Posted By: Adam, 07-08-2014, 03:20 PM

Samsung 64GB SDXC Pro UHS-1 Class 10 Memory Card, Upto 80MB/s Read, Upto 40MB/s Write Speed

Samsung 64GB SDXC Pro UHS-1 Class 10 Memory Card MB-SGCGB/AM

Regular Price $79.95
Special Price $31.95 + free US shipping

Views: 2,171
07-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter

holy cow
07-08-2014, 07:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
nice, thanks, am getting one
07-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter

These Samsung cards seem to be very good... and they're certainly fast enough for any Pentax DSLR up to and including the K-5II and IIs. The price is right, too. But I'm not sure about a 64gb card. Putting that much information on one card makes me a bit nervous. But I might feel differently if I was shooting a lot of video or perhaps RAW + jpg. Still a good deal for anyone needing such a card.

07-09-2014, 04:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Room for some 1200 raw files from the K-3... Would definitely not do that unless I had two in a mirror. Or maybe writing raw to the 64 and JPEGs to a 32GB.

On holidays I go for smaller cards anyway. If someone should nick my camera they shan't get all my pictures as well!

Good price, though

Edit:
Just for fun, checked shipping cost to Norway: $52.75

Last edited by savoche; 07-09-2014 at 06:05 AM.
07-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Ordered two, been watching for a sale like this. Reviews were good on the product.

Bought a couple of 64 GB Sandisk Cards in 2012 for about $45 ea., found deal the deal here also. I've been filling those up ever since without any problem. Photographing a matinee and evening performance, I fill both cards with DNGs, typically about 2400 or 2500 ea.

My practice is, whether home or traveling, after the shoot I copy cards to PC or Laptop and external USB Drive. When files are on two hard drives, I reformat the cards in camera, every time.

I've used Transcend 16's and the Sandisk 64's and never had an issue. I do see the 1 sec review and if there were a problem, I'd stop, put in a different card and continue, knowing that if it was important, I'd probably be able to recover most.
07-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
I've used Transcend 16's and the Sandisk 64's and never had an issue. I do see the 1 sec review and if there were a problem, I'd stop, put in a different card and continue, knowing that if it was important, I'd probably be able to recover most.
I have had cards go bad twice. The first I could recover almost everything. The second time, after a few hundred shots (had reviewed them along the way), the camera suddenly said "card not formatted". I took it out, locked it, and took it home. The pc reported it as formatted but empty... A scan to recover did indeed recover a lot of images, but all of them were from before the last formatting. No trace of anything from that holiday.

I have never trusted cards after that. But yes, this was five years ago, a small and well used card (maybe from '05 or '06). Have never had problems with the 16GB cards I use for the K-5.

Ok, rant over, sorry for going off topic.
07-09-2014, 09:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I have had cards go bad twice. The first I could recover almost everything. The second time, after a few hundred shots (had reviewed them along the way), the camera suddenly said "card not formatted". I took it out, locked it, and took it home. The pc reported it as formatted but empty... A scan to recover did indeed recover a lot of images, but all of them were from before the last formatting. No trace of anything from that holiday.

I have never trusted cards after that. But yes, this was five years ago, a small and well used card (maybe from '05 or '06). Have never had problems with the 16GB cards I use for the K-5.

Ok, rant over, sorry for going off topic.
Not a rant, just a story.

You are right about a camera getting nicked, happened to me in 2007 in Paris. Guy dipped my jacket pocket as he picked up his shopping bags to leave bistro. Got an obsolete P&S and one image of a Metro sign. Like I said, I unload memory cards and reformat after every shoot and always do a gear check with test photo like the Metro sign. I was an IT guy.

The upside was, its why I wandered back into photography, replacing the stolen P&S with a K10D & Tamron 28-75. And then I discovered what I could do with digital photography and abandoned any thought of returning to painting.

07-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter

You have talent, Brooke... what are you doing with the likes of us?
07-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I have these and they're great in the K-3
07-11-2014, 06:20 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Not a rant, just a story.

You are right about a camera getting nicked, happened to me in 2007 in Paris. Guy dipped my jacket pocket as he picked up his shopping bags to leave bistro. Got an obsolete P&S and one image of a Metro sign. Like I said, I unload memory cards and reformat after every shoot and always do a gear check with test photo like the Metro sign. I was an IT guy.

The upside was, its why I wandered back into photography, replacing the stolen P&S with a K10D & Tamron 28-75. And then I discovered what I could do with digital photography and abandoned any thought of returning to painting.
I think I just jinxed myself Just had another card go bad last night, a relatively new 16GB PNY, used for a few months with the K-5 without any problems. Yesterday with the K-3 it worked nicely for a few dozen shots (checked every now and then) until suddenly "memory card failure". No problem using the card reader on the PC but the camera refuses even to format the card. All the images were there, though, so nothing lost.

I'll start using both slots from now on (I'm an IT guy, too, so I never trust anything electronic...)

And yes, the possibilities in digital photography is boundless. Apart from, in my case, skill and imagination, of course.
07-12-2014, 11:25 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Samsung Cards are fast in K5IIs

Received my Samsung 64 GB Cards today from this deal. Did check to make sure no DOA's. Put one in each of my K5IIs bodies.

Format, set to Hi Speed and shot til buffer full. Got 24 DNGs before it slowed. Write time a lot faster than the 64 GB SanDisk Ultras I've been using since 2012 ( also a bargain from this price watch ). All I did was count "one thousand one, one thousand two, ..." but it was roughly half the time to review from the other cards.

Could've used this yesterday shooting some promo pictures for a customer.
07-13-2014, 05:21 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I think I just jinxed myself Just had another card go bad last night, a relatively new 16GB PNY, used for a few months with the K-5 without any problems. Yesterday with the K-3 it worked nicely for a few dozen shots (checked every now and then) until suddenly "memory card failure". No problem using the card reader on the PC but the camera refuses even to format the card. All the images were there, though, so nothing lost.
Did you check the card's tiny lock lever?

On occasion, I've hastily inserted the card only to discover that the little card lock lever became caught on something (the camera's card slot edge, my fingernail... ?) thereby locking the card. After removing the card and flicking the switch back to 'on', all was OK.

Just curious... M
07-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Did you check the card's tiny lock lever?

On occasion, I've hastily inserted the card only to discover that the little card lock lever became caught on something (the camera's card slot edge, my fingernail... ?) thereby locking the card. After removing the card and flicking the switch back to 'on', all was OK.

Just curious... M
Thanks, but no, the lever is not the problem here. No big deal, though, no pictures lost
07-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Not related to this deal, but I have had several cards go bad as well.

The issue I have had is I believe with the contacts on the SD card. The cards wouldn't show up at all, not even as "unformatted".
I think there is a limited number of times that you can take them out of your camera and into a reader.
Eventually, the contacts get worn out. and the card needs replacement.

I wish our cameras had a fast USB 3.0 built in card reader, so that the card didn't have to be removed to transfer files.
The built-in USB 2.0 reader works, but is too slow when it comes to transferring lots of RAW files, or especially video files.