Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Topaz Remask: 50% Off + Free upgrade
Posted By: Adam, 07-15-2014, 11:59 AM

Topaz is currently running a 50% off promo on ReMask, their popular masking software. Use the coupon code julyremask at checkout in the Topaz Store.

Topaz ReMask: As Easy As Digital Scissors

Valid through the end of the month.

Current ReMask license owners can also upgrade to the latest version for free!
Views: 2,763
07-21-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi, Adam. As I've asked before with respect to these Topaz deals (due to being away from photography for two decades... since the film era), could you offer a bottom line comparative opinion on this one? I'm not yet up and running with a modern photo post-processing computer as yet (excuse: "current housing logistics"); but I have Lightroom + two Topaz programs so far. Will this (or some other such software) make my life thirty-five bucks+ easier and yield better results faster than any built-in capability of Lightroom? Yes, I figure to need to do this regularly. Thanks!
07-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Topaz is currently running a 50% off promo on ReMask, their popular masking software. Use the coupon code julyremask at checkout in the Topaz Store.

Topaz ReMask: As Easy As Digital Scissors

Valid through the end of the month.

Current ReMask license owners can also upgrade to the latest version for free!
Hi, Adam. I guess I should have alerted you this way in the first place. Please see my earlier post. Would you have an informed opinion? Thanks.
07-22-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I plan on having someone do an in-depth review of all the topaz plugins we haven't yet reviewed, so stay tuned for that. I do own the Topaz suite and I think in tricky situations, it can really speed up your workflow.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-22-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
mee
Veteran Member

This one is really useful to me. It is a lot easier (for me at least) to paint what I want, what I don't want, and the borderline between THEN let it calculate the mask for me.... THEN let me adjust the mask BEFORE committing to it.. than drawing it out in photoshop by hand.

It is a time saver tool.. but a handy one.. and I probably wouldn't get as decent of a mask if I did the job manually anyways. Worth 35 imo.

The other Topaz plugins are of various usefulness to me (I only ended up buying one, which I don't use anymore). I like the Google Nik Suite instead for most of the other PP effects/algorithms.
07-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

@mee... Thank you so much for your perspective. I'm old enough to appreciate that life is short (as Fran Lebowitz observed, after fifty, Christmas seems to come every three months), so I think I'm going to go for this offer.
07-26-2014, 06:53 PM   #7
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
@mee... Thank you so much for your perspective. I'm old enough to appreciate that life is short (as Fran Lebowitz observed, after fifty, Christmas seems to come every three months), so I think I'm going to go for this offer.
Haha not nearly as many points of reference on the timeline of life after 50.. where as our 10s 20s and 30s especially have many points on them

Glad to be of use.. sometimes I wonder if there is any purpose in posting on any of these forums.. glad to know once in awhile my posts have a little value.

07-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You know, I tried, tried, and tried to get the trial to install on my PC and work in LR4. But no go. Two hours of my day gone and I won't be taking advantage of this offer. Tried all their troubleshooting and everything... And nothing. Oh well, I will just take more photos, less PP.
07-27-2014, 05:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
You know, I tried, tried, and tried to get the trial to install on my PC and work in LR4. But no go. Two hours of my day gone and I won't be taking advantage of this offer. Tried all their troubleshooting and everything... And nothing. Oh well, I will just take more photos, less PP.
Same problem - would not install - if it is that cluggy to install I am better with it not on my computer
07-27-2014, 06:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I guess I am the trusting sort where I'm a little... well, not out of my depth; but rather outside of my present knowledge breadth. I'll be using Lightroom 5, with some updates perhaps (I don't know how dot-something updating might work with LR yet -- I currently still need the good monitor & the computer on which to install it).
07-29-2014, 08:07 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought this and it is working great for me... great product...
07-31-2014, 12:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
I bought this and it is working great for me... great product...
Thanks for adding your positive experience to the opinions expressed here. There are 70+ micro reviews for this one at the Topaz website. It still sounds like what I need, so I just completed the purchase.
08-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #13
Forum Member

Would be more interesting to read a direct comparison with the new masking tools in PS CC as those have been improved a great deal. I think Topaz has some handy tools for specific needs but so does Nik (now a Google company) and whatever the 3rd of the 2nd tier editing suites is called. They all have areas of strength (or dominance) as well as areas where they are lacking...the biggest thing is first learn the tools you have then move to the add-on or supplemental stuff.

For the price I think Topaz Remask is a nice deal and likely worth the price. But then again I have the full Adobe CC and got Nik's suite for free because I had previously bought their app for Android. If you do have any of the Nik tools from the past, you can email them odds are they will grant you a free license to the suite. Have yet to read of anyone denied who legitimately owned any one of their tools.

I actually bought the Topaz package a while back and rarely use it anymore. LR, PS & Nik's tools have me happy enough but I keep wanting to revisit Topaz tools because I found them not so useful in the past but expect it was me not the tools.

Still these "sales" happen all the time so don't let them pressure you into a purchase over a time frame unless you know you need it. All of the suites use the same tactic.
08-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

@snipenekkid... Have you any advice on a strategy for maneuvering into a position where one might, at some point, get a shot at a Nik suite freebie, or the next best thing, starting from this late date? I do own a Google Nexus 7-2013... it did come with apps... would that count? Ha, ha, probably not... though big, bad Google ought, perhaps, to be playing Santa once in awhile; even ol' Scrooge finally did! ...Sigh: timing can mean everything here in the cheapskates' club.

Meanwhile, there's some small tonnage of stuff that needs to get out of here to fleabay, etc. -- not just a few lenses -- so Remask ought to help expedite that process for me, with results that might encourage a few additional bids.

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 08-01-2014 at 06:16 PM.
08-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #15
mee
Veteran Member

Did you have a license to any of their programs from before Google bought them? Those should auto upgrade to the full suite now.

Around the time Google was busy buying out Nik Effects, I got an email from the Nik folks (believe I had tried the demo of their software) and the alternate text on the header image, in the email, said something along the lines of 'free hdr effects plugin.' I emailed them back and they sent me a license to the HDR plugin free! It was $99 back at that time.. guess at that point they didn't care much since google was buying them. Sometime later, after Google announced the suite in their name, Google went ahead and upgraded my HDR plugin to the full suite license for free.

Point being, I think any of the licenses for any of the older Nik plugins will get you the Suite now for no additional charge to you. The worst they can say is 'no.' worth a try!