Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Refurbished Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART at Sigma Outlet: $379!
Posted By: seventysixersfan, 07-25-2014, 09:00 AM

Man I am SO tempted to buy this but Mrs. Seventysixersfan has recently been giving me a LOT of grief about my LBA and so it will be hard to buy this right now. Plus I'm trying to save my pennies for the Sigma 18-35 zoom and I already have this range sort-of covered with my smc-F 28mm f/2.8 and FA 35 f/2. Still, I can't tell you how hard it is for me to pass this up right now. There are some reports of autofocus problems with this lens but apparently if you use center point AF, it's fine, according to this user:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/262745-my-s...rt-review.html

Normally sells for $499 brand-new. So this is a nice discount on a lens that was released for Pentax K-mount only this past spring.

Everyone rev your engines, and... on your marks, get set, go!

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/30mm-f14-dc-hsm-a-refurbished

(you have click the drop down box to choose mount - Pentax)

PS, I've purchased from the Sigma Outlet before and have been happy with the condition of the product. Carries a 90 day warranty and a return policy of 15 days.

Last edited by seventysixersfan; 07-25-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Views: 4,696
08-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Is it time for me to do my "LBA devil on the shoulder" bit?
NO!! As I said in my original post that started this thread, I really can't justify yet another prime lens in that range-- I already have Sigma 24 f/2.8 super-wide II, smc-F 28mm f/2.8, FA 35mm f/2, DA 40mm f/2.8, and FA 43 f/1.9. Yes I crave the HSM focusing of the Sigma 30, as well as the f/1.4, and perhaps also the 30mm focal length (although not that much different than F 28mm and FA 35). But I'm still a bit wary of the size and weight of this prime lens, which is significantly larger/heavier than any other prime I own. Plus there's the autofocus problem that you have a nice workaround but nevertheless makes the lens a bit less appealing.

GRR. I know I'll probably eventually cave. I mean, I still check the Sigma Outlet website a few times a week to see what pops up, which really means being on the lookout for copies of the Sigma 30 Art or Sigma 17-70 contemporary. If I can get either of those at a significant discount from their regular sales price, I might just spring for it sooner rather than later...

---------- Post added 08-14-14 at 05:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mirton Quote
the refurb 35mm f1.4 A is also available for $679

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/35mm-f14-dg-hsm-a-refurbished
Yep, saw that earlier in the week and was going to start a separate thread in the price watch forum for it. Seems like quite a nice discount from its usual $900 price.

08-14-2014, 04:18 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oops! I did it again, caved on the 30/1.4. Looks like they only had one, so glad I got it first. :-) Hopefully it'll be a good one!
08-14-2014, 05:24 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Congrats!! Look forward to your review and impressions of the lens!
08-14-2014, 08:51 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
NO!!
Awww. After the recent thread with all the folks bragging about how they've beaten LBA (Self-delusion! LBA can go into remission, but there is no cure!), the little devil on my shoulder is sulking.

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
As I said in my original post that started this thread, I really can't justify yet another prime lens in that range-- I already have Sigma 24 f/2.8 super-wide II, smc-F 28mm f/2.8, FA 35mm f/2, DA 40mm f/2.8, and FA 43 f/1.9. Yes I crave the HSM focusing of the Sigma 30, as well as the f/1.4, and perhaps also the 30mm focal length (although not that much different than F 28mm and FA 35). But I'm still a bit wary of the size and weight of this prime lens, which is significantly larger/heavier than any other prime I own. Plus there's the autofocus problem that you have a nice workaround but nevertheless makes the lens a bit less appealing.
All excellent reasons. And yet... (heheheh)

08-15-2014, 11:17 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
LBA can go into remission, but there is no cure!
The remission for me is when my bank account is empty. As soon as I get some savings in there though, the addiction comes back with a vengeance!

All excellent reasons. And yet... (heheheh)
Yep. Some purchases just can't be justified. It's the difference between "need" and "WANT".
08-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it's as good as my M43 30mm I'd say go for it. Sigma's little M43 30mm is impressing the heck out of me. I think half the reason I'm finally getting so into my M43 cameras is the P3/Sigma prime combo. Both my 19mm and my 30mm are really, really nice primes. At this point I'm pretty much done with buying M43 lenses save one. If the 60mm Sigma prime shows up used at a price I can afford I will go for it. Actually most of the Sigma lenses that I have acquired, M43 or K mount are pretty darned good, I think...
08-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Well, it came and it looks great. Very solid chunk of lens,smooth manual focus, almost silent AF and no major focusing issues that a few minutes playing could detect. I'll post some pictures in the sample thread when I accrue a few worthies.

08-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Well, it came and it looks great. Very solid chunk of lens,smooth manual focus, almost silent AF and no major focusing issues that a few minutes playing could detect. I'll post some pictures in the sample thread when I accrue a few worthies.
Excellent! I may very well have to pick one up the next time it appears in the Outlet. Maybe the focusing issues were resolved as part of the refurbishing process? One can dream!
08-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks be to Nick Siebers. My PayPal account has not diminished by half, so my quest to restructure my lens list around the Princesses (1 Down, 2 To Go) will continue unabated.