Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Dolica Ultra Premium 65" Tripod $150.
Posted By: Gemvision, 08-04-2014, 04:44 AM

This tripod is less than 4 lbs, is very stable, comes with two heads - ball & pan, two sets of feet - rubber and spike, and converts into a monopod.

I bought a ball-head version and love it, just ordered this one, too.

Dolica Ultra Premium 65" Professional Tripod with Detachable Monopod
Views: 2,386
08-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm... looks almost identical to this one in the big review. Two heads are better than one!
08-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I might get this! Thanks for posting
08-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Costco is selling this for 100 less than the reviewed tripod...

08-09-2014, 09:17 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Gemvision Quote
This tripod is less than 4 lbs, is very stable, comes with two heads - ball & pan, two sets of feet - rubber and spike, and converts into a monopod.

I bought a ball-head version and love it, just ordered this one, too.

Dolica Ultra Premium 65" Professional Tripod with Detachable Monopod
Does the ultra ball-head stay in place? I have the traveler and notice when tightening the ball-head it kind of tilts forward usually - making leveling a PITA. That, and it's also too short for me being 57''. 65" is more than enough height for me
08-09-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zealex Quote
Does the ultra ball-head stay in place? I have the traveler and notice when tightening the ball-head it kind of tilts forward usually - making leveling a PITA. That, and it's also too short for me being 57''. 65" is more than enough height for me
Yes, the ball head stays in place for me with my heaviest lens a 80-200 2.4. The best thing about COSTCO is that if it does not work for you, they take it back without any problems. They do have a little shipping delay, mine has not arrived just yet.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by Gemvision; 08-10-2014 at 08:59 PM.
08-14-2014, 04:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did anyone pick this up? How has your experience been?

08-14-2014, 06:17 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I ordered on the 4th, it did not ship until the 13th and is not due to arrive until the 18th... I'll report back once I have it.
08-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Gemvision Quote
I ordered on the 4th, it did not ship until the 13th and is not due to arrive until the 18th... I'll report back once I have it.
Please do. I'm on the fence about this tripod, haha.
08-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Not what I expected

The tripod arrived on the 18th - the day I left for a five day trip on which I had hoped to use it... I just got back yesterday - the COSTCO deal expires tomorrow.

This tripod is a bit heavier than the carbon fiber copy that weighs 3 pounds with the ball head. This model weighs 4 lbs with the ball head attached. It seems to be reasonable quality and fairly stable.

The pan head is smooth and sturdy, holds the camera with a bigger lens nicely.
The pan-head release-plate will fit into the ball-head clamp.

Negatives -
The ball head release-plate is not compatible with the pan-head release plate.
The ball head had a single bubble-level that is covered by the release-plate.
The ball head release-plate has lugs at both ends, the only way to attach/detach is to open the clap completely. Not quite "quick-release".
The carrying case does not accommodate the pan head.

Overall - it seems to be a reasonable deal give the quality of the pan & ball heads. The tripod itself is OK too. It is not as awesome as I had hoped. A few simple design fixes would make this a much better deal.