Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
PaintShop Pro $29.99 Amazon
Posted By: robtcorl, 08-05-2014, 04:35 AM

This is a deal of the day, not sure how long it will run,

Last edited by robtcorl; 08-05-2014 at 05:26 AM.
Views: 2,437
08-05-2014, 05:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Question: In a nutshell... this would do what for me after Lightroom, several Topaz plug-ins, and pos-s-s-sibly a Nik Suite somewhere in my future...? I'm a neophyte at THIS part of the game, so thanks, all!
08-05-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I use PSP instead of photoshop, along with Lightroom to do detailed editing. I also have several of the topaz plugins, and use them with layers in PSP.

Because LR doesn't support the PSP native format, I configured LR to launch PSP files in PSD format. It works, but I lose LR keyworks when saving from PSP.
Anyone have a workaround for this?
08-09-2014, 07:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

In about 1995 or so, Paint Shop Pro was a decent alternative to Photoshop.

I haven't used it in the past ten years, but it seems to have fallen out of favor.

If I was starting from scratch and didn't want to spend money I'd use gimp. If I wanted to spend money every month I'd use Photoshop.

08-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Corel has a predictable marketing strategy. Part of that seems to be to discount heavily shortly before an "upgrade." I use the quotation marks because the step up is often not very significant, at least for many users. You can expect prices like this on X6 until and after they issue X7 which will certainly be very soon. It is a very capable program which can use many Photoshop/Lightroom plugins as well as a whole set of them developed for it directly.
08-09-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
Question: In a nutshell... this would do what for me after Lightroom, several Topaz plug-ins, and pos-s-s-sibly a Nik Suite somewhere in my future...? I'm a neophyte at THIS part of the game, so thanks, all!
So what does PSP do that the others don't? It is more capable that Elements and clearly a great value, even full price. It is not Photoshop, but can do most of the same tasks. I use if for anything requiring fine masking or layers and for adding text. I also use it for merging bracketed images and tone mapping for HDR.

You can use PSP standalone (it has a RAW converter), but Lightroom is a much better tool for the most common post processing tasks. I use PSP along with Lightroom. PSP integrates with Lightroom as an external editor in much the same way as the Topaz plugins and Elements. My flow for LR/PSP processing goes something like this:
  • Shoot RAW
  • Import into Lightroom
  • Create virtual copy and edit virtual copy to the extent that LR is capable
This is where it gets interesting. If I need to do something outside LR's scope (say add text to the image), it requires a hand-off to an external editor (PSP).
  • Right click the image in LR and select edit in > Corel Paintshop Pro. This will create a new edit file in LR and also open the file in PSP
  • Edit the new file in PSP and save your work. Close PSP. The PSP edits are now visible in LR for the edit file. Note that all PSP edits are "destructive" in nature.
  • You may now do additional LR changes to the edit file
  • In order to get the benefit of all your work, you should export or print or whatever using the edit file
I know this sounds a bit clumsy (and it is), but that is the way LR works with all external editors.

Steve
08-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can anyone comment on the color management options in PSP X6? I'm a long time user of PSP, but in the last couple years I've been forced to use Adobe because PSP's color management was primitive to say the least. I scooped up a version of X5 last year for $15 to see if things had gotten any better, but sadly it still did not meet my needs. I frequently need to convert images from one color space to another, or assign a color space on import. Under X5 basically you set a color space in your preferences and that's what you were stuck using (unless I missed something).

Also PSP has always delighted in forcing its software calibration on the user. When I launch it, my screen shifts its hue and contrast a bit. I'm using a colorimeter, a cheap one, but a hardware solution none the less. Has anyone had success in getting PSP to "play nice" with their existing color management tools?

I really want to be able to use PSP again, it's so much more intuitive than Adobe PS, but I've got to have a color critical solution in my workflow, and right now, I'm afraid that's PS.

08-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As Mikesul indicated, PSP X7 is nearing lunch.
Here's their description of the new version: https://store.paintshoppro.com/1184/purl-eDM_PSPX7ULT_PreLaunch#tab=1
08-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bill2849 Quote
Here's their description of the new version: https://store.paintshoppro.com/1184/purl-eDM_PSPX7ULT_PreLaunch#tab=1
I detect evidence of simultaneous rumblings from both the internet and the stomach.
08-21-2014, 06:50 PM   #10
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
In about 1995 or so, Paint Shop Pro was a decent alternative to Photoshop.

I haven't used it in the past ten years, but it seems to have fallen out of favor.

If I was starting from scratch and didn't want to spend money I'd use gimp. If I wanted to spend money every month I'd use Photoshop.

You could also use PhotoShop Elements. You can have the software default to the 'Expert' view which gives you the same style layout of the full Photoshop software... same layers, effects, plugins support, histogram, most tools, etc.

It is really very robust these days.. even includes the panorama and masking abilities..

---------- Post added 08-21-14 at 08:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
PSP or PSE will give you layers and allow you to do more creative editing of your images.. or add more Text or collages.. that sort of thing.

Plus, if you get really good at it, you can paint in PSP or PSE an entire image or do photographic composites and such.

I typically use it though for layers.. using the Topaz Remask, I can cut a portion of the image (say the sky) from a shot, do my edits on that layer only while keeping the rest of the image free from those edits. I also do some Noise Reduction handling this way.. a bit unorthodox but it is nice (I think) to smooth out the noise in more obvious parts of the image more so than in the less obvious where I'd use a less aggressive noise filtering.

Not sure you really need that at this point though. LR and some LR capable plugins like the Topaz and Nik Suite will get you 80-90% of the way.. perhaps even 100% depending on your workflow.
08-23-2014, 09:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bill2849 Quote
I guess they don't give free upgrades like adobe, if you recently just purchased PSP?
Do I qualify for a free upgrade?
08-23-2014, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Header should read "ENDED"

The Header in the OP should please be updated with ENDED when the thing is over and done with, that way we can skip over any other comments that are post-useful. This is a suggestion to Adam, for all such posts, not just this one. Thanks.
08-25-2014, 04:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Today, August 25, this will be a gold box deal on Amazon shortly.
currently $39.99

edit, the deal is on for $35.99, not as good as before.

Last edited by robtcorl; 08-25-2014 at 06:07 AM.
08-25-2014, 08:24 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Is PSP really a decent alternative even to PSE10 (that I am using now)?

I downloaded the trial, but it was really slow on both my PC and laptop (which run PSE10 fine).
When I say slow, I mean that every adjustment has a lag before its changed on the photo and using a brush on a layer, there is a lag between the area brushed and the change showing up on screen.

Its at such a good price and seems so powerful that I really want it to work for me, but no luck so far.
Win8.1 on the PC (4GB ram); Win7 on the laptop 4GB ram.
(or does it need min 8GB ram to work properly)
As mentioned, PSE10 runs everything without issues.
08-26-2014, 06:32 AM   #15
mee
Veteran Member

Why are you looking at PSP if PSE10 is running everything without issues? I would say PSP is probably a slight downgrade from PSE these days..