Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Adorama memory card sale. Which one???
Posted By: MD Optofonik, 08-28-2014, 01:55 PM

Adorama card special
Views: 2,148
08-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Write speed is the most critical. Although Pentax bodies can't utilize completely an 85mb/s write speed, I still only use those SD cards.
08-28-2014, 11:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For the love of god, get a quality card. My sister bought a memory card a year ago from a less than reputable dealer and after several months of use this card eventually became unreadable so she gave it to me. So this weekend I had to recover images from the corrupted card. It took about 6 hours. But I was able to recover a fair number of images from it. After getting that done, I ran a scan to check the integrity of the cards memory cells and i'm amazed I got anything off it in the first place:

This was an 8Gb memory card...and only 30mb worth of memory cells were capable of reliably holding data. I pulled the card apart and traced the origin of the memory module from its serial number. The NAND flash module from the card appears to be made in Korea by Hynix, which is a manufacturer that also makes RAM modules for computers and is also on the list of manufacturers I flatly refuse to work with, because of the high failure rates of their products.

Never buy cheap knock off memory cards.

Last edited by Digitalis; 08-28-2014 at 11:11 PM.
08-28-2014, 11:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
This was an 8Gb memory card...and only 30mb worth of memory cells were capable of reliably holding data
OMG. Commercial photographers have nightmares about that kind of stuff.

These are the three I'm wondering about (along with there larger counterparts) for my K30, K2000, MX-1, and Q.

Transcend 32GB SDHC Ultimate 600x Class 10 UHS-I Memory Card TS32GSDHC10U1

Transcend 32GB Class 10 SDXC/SDHC UHS-I U3 Memory Card TS32GSDU3X

Transcend 32GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-I 300X Premium Memory Card TS32GSDU1

08-29-2014, 01:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
These are the three I'm wondering about
In a change from my 'only buy Sandisk' rule, I bought 2 of those Transcend SDHC Class 10 UHS-I 300X's in 16GB off Amazon during a sale a while ago. Been using them in a few cameras (RX-100, NEX-F3, K-5) without incident. Seem adequately speedy. Any card that says UHS-1 should be a decent performer.

Not as quick as the Sandisk Extreme Pro, however. So the Extreme Pro's live in my K-3.
08-29-2014, 02:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
In a change from my 'only buy Sandisk' rule, I bought 2 of those Transcend SDHC Class 10 UHS-I 300X's in 16GB off Amazon during a sale a while ago. Been using them in a few cameras (RX-100, NEX-F3, K-5) without incident. Seem adequately speedy. Any card that says UHS-1 should be a decent performer.

Not as quick as the Sandisk Extreme Pro, however. So the Extreme Pro's live in my K-3.
All those cameras are newer than any of mine.
08-29-2014, 02:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
For the love of god, get a quality card. My sister bought a memory card a year ago from a less than reputable dealer and after several months of use this card eventually became unreadable so she gave it to me. So this weekend I had to recover images from the corrupted card. It took about 6 hours. But I was able to recover a fair number of images from it. After getting that done, I ran a scan to check the integrity of the cards memory cells and i'm amazed I got anything off it in the first place:

This was an 8Gb memory card...and only 30mb worth of memory cells were capable of reliably holding data. I pulled the card apart and traced the origin of the memory module from its serial number. The NAND flash module from the card appears to be made in Korea by Hynix, which is a manufacturer that also makes RAM modules for computers and is also on the list of manufacturers I flatly refuse to work with, because of the high failure rates of their products.

Never buy cheap knock off memory cards.
Transcend really is a quality product

Amazon.com: Transcend 32 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card (TS32GSDHC10E): Electronics

With over 9000 reviews and updated ones from 4+ years ago with no issues, I don't think there's anything to worry about with these cards

08-29-2014, 07:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I used to buy Transcend memory cards all the time. I've only ever had one fail (the lock switch on an old 8GB card I bought in 2009 broke last year...the rest are in excellent shape); you get a quality product for a great price.
08-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I also only use Sandisk cards, but have heard surprisingly good things about Transcend. Don't need a card right now, have enough. Otherwise I would be tempted.
I was tempted and got a 16GB Sony some time ago, but don't ever use it because it kept giving me write errors. I don't know how to fix it, so its just gathering dust with my ancient 16MB card. Yeah, MB.
08-29-2014, 09:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't have a problem with Transcend at all. Production mixers regularly use Transcend's CF cards to record the day's work. Overall production costs run about $150,000+ per day. Having to re-shoot a day's work because of a failed card is unacceptable. "Failure is not an option" (mirroring is used as insurance).

I'm just wondering which data specs to go with to avoid paying for performance I won't use
08-29-2014, 11:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Only had one transcend so far but it's served me well for several years. Card failure can happen to any card, that's why we have dual slots now!
08-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #12
Banned

B&H has the same price.
Transcend 64GB UHS-1 SDXC Memory Card (Speed Class 3) TS64GSDU3
08-29-2014, 12:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Adorama has a 2 card limit so I ordered three of these through B&H: "Transcend 32GB SDHC Ultimate 600x Class 10 UHS-I Memory Card, 90MB/s Transfer Rate".
08-29-2014, 01:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Adorama has a 2 card limit so I ordered three of these through B&H: "Transcend 32GB SDHC Ultimate 600x Class 10 UHS-I Memory Card, 90MB/s Transfer Rate".
I have two of these that I use for my sports photography. Great cards, perfect for the K-3 given its faster burst rate.
08-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
I have two of these that I use for my sports photography. Great cards, perfect for the K-3 given its faster burst rate.
I feel validated and grateful for the affirmation, thanks.