Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
BorrowLenses Used Sale + 15% Off
Posted By: wtlwdwgn, 09-09-2014, 10:33 AM

BorrowLenses is having a used equipment sale including a number of FA, DA and DA* lenses and an extra 15% off. The coupon code is USEDGEAR15.
Views: 1,958
09-09-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
12-24 for $510 is a bit tempting.
09-10-2014, 12:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Has anyone had experience with BL's used gear before? I understand it's a tricky business to be in, but the 'no returns', etc, makes me a little nervous.

09-10-2014, 06:55 AM   #5
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Has anyone had experience with BL's used gear before? I understand it's a tricky business to be in, but the 'no returns', etc, makes me a little nervous.
Returns are subject to a 6% fee to cover all card transactions.
You can return the purchased item for a full refund (less 6%) up to 10 business days after delivery. If you need more time to evaluate the purchase, you can return it up to 4 weeks from the purchase date for full refund less the appropriate rental fees.

Previously Owned Camera Gear for Sale (click onto 'The Fine Print')
09-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Returns are subject to a 6% fee to cover all card transactions.
You can return the purchased item for a full refund (less 6%) up to 10 business days after delivery. If you need more time to evaluate the purchase, you can return it up to 4 weeks from the purchase date for full refund less the appropriate rental fees.

Previously Owned Camera Gear for Sale (click onto 'The Fine Print')
Oops. Sorry, I meant to quote the 'we do not provide any warranty on our sale items'.
09-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I imagine that's pretty fair, given that they at least have a return policy. They aren't a store, they are a rental firm that wants to clear some gear away.
09-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #8
mee
Site Supporter

Yeah it is same as buying off of ebay or even here at the Market place. You are buying it second hand essentially... At least with this company, they let you try it out, ensure it is fully working and send it back if not.

If you buy on ebay or the marketplace you may or may not be allowed to return.. just up a creek.

09-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Yeah it is same as buying off of ebay or even here at the Market place. You are buying it second hand essentially... At least with this company, they let you try it out, ensure it is fully working and send it back if not.

If you buy on ebay or the marketplace you may or may not be allowed to return.. just up a creek.
But with eBay, I can and have resolved disputes with buyers or sellers both with and without an official return policy. I'm probably going to pick up the 16-50 at this price, but I'm surprised I didn't even see a No DOA policy. They seem fond of their fees, though, compared to a place like Lensrentals (which doesn't charge a restocking fee, cancellation fee, and offers warranties through a third party). Sorry to take up so much space on the thread.
09-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a 100 WR in my cart currently, but haven't pulled the trigger because when I got to that last page suddenly there was sales tax, which I did NOT expect. Their FAQ claims that rentals create a condition that requires collection of sales tax. The fact that this is a purchase rather than a rental is gnawing at my bargain hunter tendencies. I think I'm going to bed now and deal with this in the AM.
09-10-2014, 10:05 PM   #11
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are probably under a misapprehension. For New Jersey buyers, an out-of-state company with no physical presence in NJ has no obligation to collect sales tax unless they have specifically registered with the state to do so (Lensrentals appears to operate out of CA and MA and as a small outfit are unlikely to have registered with NJ). While they would have to collect tax on purchases from buyers in either of those states, they indeed would not have to on a rental, since it's not a "sale."
Also bear in mind, however, that technically you are supposed to be paying New Jersey a "Use Tax" on internet purchases from out of state sellers - there is actually a field on your state tax form where you are supposed to report these purchases. Most people don't bother to pay the tax, but technically it is illegal, and every purchase you make is subject to sales or use tax under the law.

CORRECTION: Just read their FAQ and took a look at some legal sources, and it appears that renting tangible property in certain states can be considered physical presence there. Hoewver, it appears that New Jersey does not consider this sufficient nexus to create physical presence, so their statement that it applies to "all 50 states" looks like it's not true. I assume they just use a blanket policy because they don't want to get into any legal entanglements inadvertently.

QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
I have a 100 WR in my cart currently, but haven't pulled the trigger because when I got to that last page suddenly there was sales tax, which I did NOT expect. Their FAQ claims that rentals create a condition that requires collection of sales tax. The fact that this is a purchase rather than a rental is gnawing at my bargain hunter tendencies. I think I'm going to bed now and deal with this in the AM.

Last edited by dcshooter; 09-10-2014 at 10:24 PM.
09-11-2014, 05:31 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
They are probably under a misapprehension. For New Jersey buyers, an out-of-state company with no physical presence in NJ has no obligation to collect sales tax unless they have specifically registered with the state to do so (Lensrentals appears to operate out of CA and MA and as a small outfit are unlikely to have registered with NJ). While they would have to collect tax on purchases from buyers in either of those states, they indeed would not have to on a rental, since it's not a "sale."
Also bear in mind, however, that technically you are supposed to be paying New Jersey a "Use Tax" on internet purchases from out of state sellers - there is actually a field on your state tax form where you are supposed to report these purchases. Most people don't bother to pay the tax, but technically it is illegal, and every purchase you make is subject to sales or use tax under the law.

CORRECTION: Just read their FAQ and took a look at some legal sources, and it appears that renting tangible property in certain states can be considered physical presence there. Hoewver, it appears that New Jersey does not consider this sufficient nexus to create physical presence, so their statement that it applies to "all 50 states" looks like it's not true. I assume they just use a blanket policy because they don't want to get into any legal entanglements inadvertently.
Thanks for the clarification DC. Still rubs me the wrong way.
09-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #13
Pentaxian

It might be possible to get a warranty from CPS for any lenses you pick up at BL?
09-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #14
Pentaxian

There's no description of the condition and product photos show a brand new lens rather than the actual item being sold. Is the lens is in like-new or ugly condition? If they have too many lenses of the same model and want to reduce inventory, will they sell the worst one in their inventory?
09-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
There's no description of the condition and product photos show a brand new lens rather than the actual item being sold. Is the lens is in like-new or ugly condition? If they have too many lenses of the same model and want to reduce inventory, will they sell the worst one in their inventory?
Not much info there. If you want, email them.

This is their fine print:

QuoteQuote:
Gear is in perfect working order, with some cosmetic flaws. We would never sell you equipment that isn't in full working order. Each item is well tested and cleaned, upon return from previous rentals, to ensure you're receiving a quality used product from our inventory. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide photos of the exact piece of gear you may be purchasing. We are also not able to list estimated or exact actuation counts for camera bodies.