Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
Pentax K-3 - Now just $896 through the end of 2014!
Posted By: Adam, 10-22-2014, 08:59 AM

If you thought $996 was low enough on the K-3, then these new price drops will blow you away. As always, if you ordered a K-3 within 30 the last 30 days from either B&H or Adorama, you will be entitled to a refund of the price difference.

Pentax K-3 DSLR Camera Body 15530 B&H Photo Video (optional: AF 540 flash for $50 on the landing page)
Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Camera Body 15530

Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Camera Body, 24 MP, Selectable Anti Aliasing Filter, SAFOX 11 Autofocus, Professional H.264 video, Weather Sealed
$896.95 + free Battery Grip + 2-day US shipping + 4% rewards

Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Camera Body Bundle with 50 f1.8 Lens and Battery Grip 15530 KB
Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Camera with DA 50mm F1.8 lens
$946.95 + free Battery Grip + 2-day US shipping + 4% rewards

Pentax K-3 DSLR Camera with 18-135mm Lens 15541 B&H Photo Video
Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Camera with DA 18-135 WR Lens 15541

Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Camera with DA 18-135 WR Lens
$1,246.95 + free Battery Grip + 2-day US shipping + 4% rewards

Exp. 12/31

Views: 11,736
10-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #16
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Nice prices, and a long enough time window so we can see what sales develop on Black Friday. I keep telling myself that my K-5 is good enough so my money can go towards a lens and flash instead.
Yes. I'm wondering what will be the price on BF.

Last year, we had the blowout K-5 II with the 18-135 WR for $800 or body alone for $600 IIRC during the BF weekend.

Not that I'm expecting that low. But I suspect we could see lower than 900 for body.

10-22-2014, 04:49 PM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Not that I'm expecting that low. But I suspect we could see lower than 900 for body.
My guess would be $749-799 for the body only, with no extras. I guess we'll have to wait and see!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-22-2014, 04:49 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
[...] I suspect we could see lower than 900 for body.
Huh, how is $896 not lower than $900? You can get even lower on a body alone (without the extras that Adorama/B&H throw in) from reputable Ebay sellers right now too...
10-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Huh, how is $896 not lower than $900? You can get even lower on a body alone (without the extras that Adorama/B&H throw in) from reputable Ebay sellers right now too...
Also if one wanted to be extra savvy, you could buy the bundle with grip and 50mm f/1.8, sell those pieces individually, and after you factor in the 4% rewards you'd be paying close to $700 for just the body.

10-22-2014, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Marketing wise, there are only TWO possible reasons for such a price drop.

1) Competition is trashing Pentax K3's sales to a point that inventory is stacking up and sales are next to frozen.

Comment: From another thread, it seems this is not the case since it has been reported that some major retailers like Adorama, are out of stock for the K3 and backordering several customers.

2) New model soon to be announced (or released) that will automatically stop sales of the remaining K3 stock.

Comment: Historically, Pentax has issued an "improved" or "revised" edition of their flagship cameras, usually within the 18 to 24 months time window after releasing the first model. This happened with the K2 (improved with K2DMD), the ME (with ME Super), the PZ1 (with the PZ1P), the ZX5 (with the ZX5n), the *ist (with the *istD, -first jump into digital from film), then K10D (with K20D), and more recently, with the K5 (with two extra versions of the K5ii and K5iis). **

If history tends to repeat itself over time, then its about time we see a new remodeled, improved version of the K3, don't you think so?

---------- Post added 10-22-2014 at 07:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
My guess would be $749-799 for the body only, with no extras. I guess we'll have to wait and see!
I don't think you'll get B&H or Adorama to sell you the body without the grip and lower the total price. I don't know what's the retail ratio between bodies and grips, but I feel that if they are not sold together at the initial purchace, chances are that later very few grips will sell "alone".
10-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

My fiance is going to get a K-3 body at some point. Worth snagging this now, or wait until Black Friday sales? He'll only really use it with my 55-300, but I wouldn't mind picking up some other lenses or accessories as part of a bundle.
10-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
I don't think you'll get B&H or Adorama to sell you the body without the grip and lower the total price. I don't know what's the retail ratio between bodies and grips, but I feel that if they are not sold together at the initial purchace, chances are that later very few grips will sell "alone".
The free grip is a manufacturer incentive (i.e. offered by RIAC). During the Black Friday weekend, MAP restrictions are dropped, so the stores have the freedom to sell at a lower price that's still profitable. I believe that $799 would still be above cost for the K-3 body, but that's just my guess.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-22-2014, 06:59 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

Just pulled trigger on a K-3!
I'm pumped!
10-22-2014, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hut234 Quote
I take this as bad news. This says to me there are plenty of (as in too many) K-3s filling up stockrooms, or else they would have just let the existing lowered price take it until the end of November. It also, unfortunately, tells us there still isn't any demand for them regardless of stock (aside from K-5 and under users wanting to upgrade and stay with Ricoh).

It would be fantastic if it meant we're getting a killer $1,750 camera in Q1, but we can all agree that's not the case.
I don't take this is as bad news at all. I could just as easily take it as the long awaited Pentax marketing plot... JUST IN TIME for Christmas....

Make a awesome camera... put it out there at a great price.... people will figure out that on an APC level it blows out most of the competition including Canikon....

It could be a loss leader to get people into it to try it... and we all know how that goes... try it once and it's like crack... you'll be hooked.

That's my take on it.
10-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I have to keep telling myself that I'm happy with my K-30 and that the price for a K-3 will drop even lower.
Me too.
10-22-2014, 09:00 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Marketing wise, there are only TWO possible reasons for such a price drop.

1) Competition is trashing Pentax K3's sales to a point that inventory is stacking up and sales are next to frozen.

Comment: From another thread, it seems this is not the case since it has been reported that some major retailers like Adorama, are out of stock for the K3 and backordering several customers.

2) New model soon to be announced (or released) that will automatically stop sales of the remaining K3 stock.

Comment: Historically, Pentax has issued an "improved" or "revised" edition of their flagship cameras, usually within the 18 to 24 months time window after releasing the first model. This happened with the K2 (improved with K2DMD), the ME (with ME Super), the PZ1 (with the PZ1P), the ZX5 (with the ZX5n), the *ist (with the *istD, -first jump into digital from film), then K10D (with K20D), and more recently, with the K5 (with two extra versions of the K5ii and K5iis). **

If history tends to repeat itself over time, then its about time we see a new remodeled, improved version of the K3, don't you think so?[COLOR="Silver"]
A much more sensible assessment. I'll agree Pentax is trying to clear remaining stock but not because of poor sales. Time frame
is right for a successor to the K3.

No complaints here. I put in my order for the K3 and AF540 this evening. I plan to enjoy the new (to me) features it offers.
10-22-2014, 09:14 PM   #27
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Seems plausible to me from past BF sales too.

Much better than the suggestions from other members of hoop jumping and red tape of buying a bundle to resell parts or from ebay (blah) when one can simply wait a few weeks and skip that while buying from a preferred retailer.
10-23-2014, 05:25 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I told myself I'd at least wait until xmas, and just bought some (for me) expensive lenses, but damn. And $50 for the AF-540 flash too. Wish they'd bring down the Silver Edition's price too...
Where are you seeing this?
10-23-2014, 05:31 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote
Where are you seeing this?
At B&H (the very first link), under "Savings available" you should see "Save Over $300 On The Pentax AF-540 Shoe Mount Flash". Click on that.
10-23-2014, 07:38 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ugh.. I am loosing the battle over my CBA. Lend me some strength god almighty and help me wait until the Freaking Frame.