Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
Pentax K-3 - Now just $896 through the end of 2014!
Posted By: Adam, 10-22-2014, 08:59 AM

If you thought $996 was low enough on the K-3, then these new price drops will blow you away. As always, if you ordered a K-3 within 30 the last 30 days from either B&H or Adorama, you will be entitled to a refund of the price difference.

Pentax K-3 DSLR Camera Body 15530 B&H Photo Video (optional: AF 540 flash for $50 on the landing page)
Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Camera Body 15530

Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Camera Body, 24 MP, Selectable Anti Aliasing Filter, SAFOX 11 Autofocus, Professional H.264 video, Weather Sealed
$896.95 + free Battery Grip + 2-day US shipping + 4% rewards

Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Camera Body Bundle with 50 f1.8 Lens and Battery Grip 15530 KB
Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Camera with DA 50mm F1.8 lens
$946.95 + free Battery Grip + 2-day US shipping + 4% rewards

Pentax K-3 DSLR Camera with 18-135mm Lens 15541 B&H Photo Video
Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Camera with DA 18-135 WR Lens 15541

Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Camera with DA 18-135 WR Lens
$1,246.95 + free Battery Grip + 2-day US shipping + 4% rewards

Exp. 12/31

Views: 9,419
11-08-2014, 12:15 PM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I just checked B&H site and found that the K5-IIs with a battery grip and 64GB card is now $100 more than the K3 with battery grip.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The USD has risen 15% versus Yen since September. That's something like $150 Retail.Look at it the other way. Demand is high enough that the K-3 isn't going to sell below $896 before December 31st.

I don't think so. I think the body life cycle for Ricoh is two years. A K-50 replacement is much more likely near-term.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
About the only thing for sure is that the K3 is unlikely to increase in price any time soon.
I was sort of hoping to see some slightly lower prices on the bodies - but with the $/Yen ratio, that is not going to happen. The ris in the K5IIs is troubling, since the difference between it and the K5 has been narrowing and now having it flip is somewhat unexpected. I am in the process of switching some of my lenses around to AF and was thinking of a body with improved AF would help - but, I can wait. The lenses are the important item here. I was also looking for something less, hopefully with the 60-250 to break the $1K floor on the black Friday/cyber Monday. That may not happen either.

11-09-2014, 01:50 AM   #77
Pentaxian

If I search for the K-3 on Amazon I get listings which say "old model". Do they know something I don't?
11-09-2014, 05:30 AM   #78

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
If I search for the K-3 on Amazon I get listings which say "old model". Do they know something I don't?
Yeah I noticed that too

QuoteOriginally posted by Samwise.Gamgee Quote
I know this might sound stupid but a few days back I was in TED'S Camera and asked for Pentax K3 (Just becuase I noticed it was missing in the shelf) and the sales person said it's discontinued and a new model is coming next January.
Definitely something is up. Something not bad at all
11-09-2014, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #79
Site Supporter

This means something. This is important.

11-10-2014, 09:52 AM   #80
Site Supporter

If I search for the DA 55-300 WR zoom on Amazon, I get "old version" as well.
11-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
If I search for the DA 55-300 WR zoom on Amazon, I get "old version" as well.
Since most of these items are sold by merchants other than Amazon it could be just a bad marketing move by the seller. It certainly does not make someone more likely to buy if there is a newer model coming, especially when there is no other information.
11-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Since most of these items are sold by merchants other than Amazon it could be just a bad marketing move by the seller. It certainly does not make someone more likely to buy if there is a newer model coming, especially when there is no other information.
I believe on the contrary. Resellers such as Amazon may handle huge inventories comparable only to mail order stores like B&H and Adorama. The local camera shop may handle very small inventories and unless Pentax has special ordering rules as per "minimum" quantities, it may well be happening that Ricoh Imaging USA is actually running low on inventories for supplying the big players like Amazon, but for sure can sell and deliver 1 or 2 cameras to your local camera store.

In every product sale where big retailers grab most of the market, the small retailers have to play by their rules. The manufacturers cater for the big ones and leftovers are for the small ones. That is why you always see the big changes (price drops, rebates, giveaways) at the big ones, like this price drop that started at B&H and Adorama. Now its available at Amazon, but not available at the small retailer.

Some years ago, I had the opportunity to see, handle and open a special envelope sent by Pentax Japan to all retailers around the world, labeled "UNDER EMBARGO UNTILL SEP 1, 2004". Inside the envelope, there was a couple of printed pictures, a press release and two brochures of the new Pentax *istDL, that was officially introduced that date. I say that envelope two months in advance and promised my dear friends at the local photo store to keep my mouth shut!

But in this case (Amazon) which is a huge company, It wouldn't be strange their webpage handling and updating is outsourced and someone already has the new info "under embargo" for the "new models" of such and such gear, so they are just taking some steps towards the introduction of the new gear without revealing the new stuff.
11-10-2014, 06:52 PM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I was sort of hoping to see some slightly lower prices on the bodies - but with the $/Yen ratio, that is not going to happen.
Uhm . . . . , a strong dollar lowers the US price of a Japanese product.

11-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #84
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Uhm . . . . , a strong dollar lowers the US price of a Japanese product.
Exactly. Some countries even try to weaken their own currency to encourage exports.
11-11-2014, 06:00 AM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Exactly. Some countries even try to weaken their own currency to encourage exports.
Japan may be doing something like that right now.
11-11-2014, 07:09 AM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Japan may be doing something like that right now.
And provide global liquidity now that The Fed is finished with QE3, and stimulate it's own countrymen to buy someting, thus ending 15 years of deflation . . . I think the 'market' Ricoh has been 'studying' may be ripe for a new 'camera'.
11-11-2014, 07:16 AM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter

And provide global liquidity now that The Fed is finished with QE3, and stimulate it's own countrymen to buy someting, thus ending 15 years of deflation . . . I think the 'market' Ricoh has been 'studying' may be ripe for a new 'camera'.
Hope, hope, hope!