Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  
DxO Optics Pro 8 for free
Posted By: quh86, 10-25-2014, 08:37 AM

Hey guys,

just found this on another website and thought i'd share it with you

DxO & Digital Photographer | www.dxo.com

you simply have to enter your email and the captcha. the key and download link is then sent to you via email.
However, i havent tried it yet so dont get mad in case of problems

cheers,
Views: 4,917
10-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #16

QuoteQuote:
Usefully, having a copy of v8 loaded makes any move to v9 cheaper, since it's then at upgrade prices.
Sorry, but the e-mail I received with the activation code specifically says that the free license is not upgradable.

I should have added, however, that you do get a special offer to buy v9 for $149 through the end of the year, so I guess you're getting something akin to the upgrade price.

Last edited by T Evergreen; 10-25-2014 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Added information
10-25-2014, 02:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by T Evergreen Quote
the e-mail I received with the activation code specifically says that the free license is not upgradable.
Aha. Thanks for the correction. I just assumed that once you had any old copy of v8 loaded, a v9 upgrade would work. Looks like they are managing it differently.

It's also notable that the version of v8 they are offering for free is the v8 'Elite' version - the version that supports full-frame bodies (like the D600 and D800 etc).

The $149 v9 upgrade price they quote is if you want to upgrade to the v9 'Elite' version of DxO. If you only need the v9 'Standard' version of DxO, which does not support full-frame bodies, it's usually much cheaper than 'Elite'.
10-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by quh86 Quote
Hey guys,

just found this on another website and thought i'd share it with you

DxO & Digital Photographer | www.dxo.com

you simply have to enter your email and the captcha. the key and download link is then sent to you via email.
However, i havent tried it yet so dont get mad in case of problems

cheers,
Thanks , worked fine for me
10-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for posting this! I installed the package earlier this morning. It seems to work. I remember playing around with the trial version of 9 as a replacement for Aperture. Something didn't quite work well for me. Now I get to try it again. Maybe it will click for me now?

Awesome post!

10-26-2014, 02:58 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I'am a DxO user since DxO 7. The v8 is quite good and the difference with v9 is mainly a new UI for v9 and prime noise removal algorithm that is very slow but show improvement in very high iso shoot like 12800+. Back in time what decided me to use DxO instead of lightroom was the single HDR picture feature and the fact it work on folders and files and avoid the fat/slow library concept.

I like DxO because it recognise all my lenses (DA15, DA21, DA35, FA50, FA77, DA17-70, DA18-135, DA50-135) an automatically apply by default all the corrections like vigneting removal, distorsion correction etc. As already said, I also like that it work directly on folders on the hard drive, not library thing that can fail, slow down as it grow etc.

As for editing features, it has I think all the things one might want out for processing photos as a whole and is very good at it. You can do HDR on a single raw file (most advanced support is DxO7 mode in the Smart Lighting) really tune most things, correct perspectives, get one of the best noise removal capabilities.

There also a feature that allow to really change the overall color rendering of an image. There a few with DxO base software but you get most out of it by buying also DxO film pack. With this tool you can simply choose the film rendering you want. The color tones that matches perfectly a portrait, or the vibrant colors you'd want typically out of a lanscape. You can add vigneting and border softness to draw more attention to the subject, get access to many black & white rendering and of course get access to film grain.

Overall this is a very fine package, the only limitation it has is it made to process photos. Not to replace a cloudy sky with a shiny sky, to remove a trash bin or whatever. There a nice dust removal tool that work very well for its initial intent, but that's all. This is a photo processing software, not photoshop.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 10-26-2014 at 03:10 AM.
10-26-2014, 10:38 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Filmpack 3

Sorry to somewhat divert the thread but DxO offered Filmpack 3 for free some time ago. I downloaded and installed it. I am now switching to a new computer and I cannot find the license key for the old installation. I have checked the DxO site but can find nothing. Does anyone have any idea how I can recover the original key? I almost never use the film presets but it is sometimes fun to play with them. Thanks for any help.
10-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I think "distorsion" is the British spelling of "distortion". Kind of like learned and learnt, I guess.

10-26-2014, 12:27 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Not according to my OED...
Also count it is a french product and they are not selling dictionnaries or grammar checkers !
10-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #24

It's simply the french spelling
10-26-2014, 01:32 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Does anyone have any idea how I can recover the original key?
Two suggestions:
- See if you have an account with DxO. Normally when you register to get a key, your email address is the gateway to an account on DxO with all your registration details, including serials. If you can't remember any password, use the reset option
- email DxO and ask them to help.
10-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Sorry to somewhat divert the thread but DxO offered Filmpack 3 for free some time ago. I downloaded and installed it. I am now switching to a new computer and I cannot find the license key for the old installation. I have checked the DxO site but can find nothing. Does anyone have any idea how I can recover the original key? I almost never use the film presets but it is sometimes fun to play with them. Thanks for any help.
I have DxO 9.xxx. Both the regular serial number and free film pack 3 number show in my splash screen at start up. Also found it in the menu - Help>About.

I looked at my on-line account but it doesn't show there.
10-26-2014, 04:07 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I originally got ver. 6 with their free offer, and film pack 3. I purchased 9 about a year ago. They had a special where they were selling version 9 (standard) for the upgrade price. Perhaps they will do so again in November.

Unfortunately, I found after purchase that my aging XP and Vista systems just don't have the processing power to run 9. In some cases, 15-20 minutes processing time depending on the options chosen, and crashes easily. 2G memory is just not enough... So I uninstalled 9. It produced good results when processing finally completed, but was too slow to be part of my workflow.

I downloaded 8 to see how it runs on my system.

Last edited by rgknief60; 10-26-2014 at 04:41 PM.
10-26-2014, 11:11 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rgknief60 Quote
I originally got ver. 6 with their free offer, and film pack 3. I purchased 9 about a year ago. They had a special where they were selling version 9 (standard) for the upgrade price. Perhaps they will do so again in November.

Unfortunately, I found after purchase that my aging XP and Vista systems just don't have the processing power to run 9. In some cases, 15-20 minutes processing time depending on the options chosen, and crashes easily. 2G memory is just not enough... So I uninstalled 9. It produced good results when processing finally completed, but was too slow to be part of my workflow.

I downloaded 8 to see how it runs on my system.
That for me the major drawback of DxO; it require a fast computer to perform welll. I would say one need a dual core and at least 4GB RAM to use it when not using prime. And better to have a quad core.
10-27-2014, 06:51 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
They aren't directly comparable. DxO is primarily a RAW processer/editor, Topaz are plug-ins.

DxO v8's in-built photo editing capabilities are decent, but not fancy like Photoshop. Quite aside from the lens correction features, it has a lot of useful film emulations and camera profiles built in, good sharpening tools, very good geometric distortion correction features, some nice presets like the single-shot HDR one etc built in. Lots to play with. Under this deal, for $0, you get a lot.

Usefully, having a copy of v8 loaded makes any move to v9 cheaper, since it's then at upgrade prices.
For those who care:

"Please note that your free license is not upgradeable."
10-29-2014, 03:40 AM   #30

key doesn't work for me...