Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
WoW shipping was fast, but customs hurts !!!

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
So I made my first experience with Adorama... and import to Czech rep. (Europe).

FA 31mm ltd. ordered on Oct, 30th. Shipped the same day. Delivered today (i.e. Nov, 5th). It came to Czech rep. already on 3rd, but custom clearance took a day (strictly speaking UPS needed 1 day to send me by e-mail one sheet required for the clearance) and another day I lost because of UPS (in Czech you can't agree upon reasonable delivery time with these guys...). So let's say it lasted in total 1 week, but it could be 2-3 days less if UPS would operate fine.

Special price from Adorama was USD 996,95.
UPS shipping USD 99,40.
In total USD 1.096,35 (= not that bad...)

But now it comes.... Czech customs...
- VAT: USD 240,46
- customs duty: USD 71,93
- UPS fee for custom clearance: USD 11,67
All together USD 324,06 (= the discount (approx.) on the lens was swallowed by the local customs. More than stupid - the VAT and customs duty was calculated from the price of the lens PLUS the transport costs.)

Complete costs: USD 1.420,41

Now even considering that this lens is - God knows why - unavailable in Czech and the few shops which offer it stated price approx. USD 1.570,-, I can say that I only saved about 150 bucks. I'm not myself convinced that this saving compensates the risk of general troubles with warranty, in case that the lens gets out of order.

Conclusion: it gives sense to try to import something to Europe on your own only when there's a special sellout and big discounts.

But what's even worse: the FA31 is so fantastic, that now I'm enormously tempted to get also 43 and 77...