Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
Unlimited free photo storage - Amazon Prime
Posted By: narual, 11-04-2014, 10:14 AM

Just logged onto Amazon to check on an order and noticed they've now added another benefit to Amazon Prime -- free, unlimited photo storage on their Amazon CloudDrive. I just tested it with a DNG and it worked, so it includes raw, as well, and doesn't seem to have any issue with overly lengthy file names like I use. (example: "Photo taken on 2014-11-02 at 172831 - using a PENTAX PENTAX K-5 with a smc PENTAX-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited at 15 mm-1-4 sec at f - 11-ISO 200.dng" )

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/primephotos
Views: 6,059
11-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the heads up. It is worth checking out although all online storage sites are a bit risky in the long run. Upload/download speed is often a concern.

11-04-2014, 06:27 PM   #17
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Well, it typically isn't, and is the very reason I haven't used a cloud solution yet -- no support for raw files under an "unlimited" deal and while cloud prices have been going down, RAW files are big and getting bigger, it was cost-prohibitive. However, I just uploaded a handful of dngs and it does appear they are not counting towards my drive limit. So looks like I've got a lot more uploading to do...
That's why I like local storage. I personally don't worry about large file sizes, because drives are cheap, and RAID solutions are easy to build. But it looks like you may be on to something cool here -- so hope it works out for you
11-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #18
Forum Member

Amazon's cloud service is capped at 5GB for Prime members. They do give you the option for add more storage at an additional cost.
  • 20GB $10/yr
  • 50GB $25/yr
  • 100GB $50/yr
  • 200GB $100/yr
  • 0.5TB $250/yr
  • 1TB $500/yr
11-04-2014, 06:49 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
Ah, I get you now. I work in an IT environment, and everybody always gives a hard time to the couple of us that still "rely" on personal mechanical storage. They trust everything to somebody's cloud, but I don't think I'll ever get there. Too old, too geeky.
It's far too likely all my files will end up all over the internet at some point with the Cloud. I'd prefer to avoid that. Plus, cloud solutions change and can disappear. Best to do things the old fashioned way and schedule backups. The capabilities are far more advanced. Who wants to wade through individual files all the time? Upload new copies when you make changes?

11-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #20
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
It's far too likely all my files will end up all over the internet at some point with the Cloud. I'd prefer to avoid that. Plus, cloud solutions change and can disappear. Best to do things the old fashioned way and schedule backups. The capabilities are far more advanced. Who wants to wade through individual files all the time? Upload new copies when you make changes?
Agreed in full
11-04-2014, 07:12 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

As an aside, if you are a subscriber to Office 365 in any of its incarnations, you'll end up getting unlimited cloud storage.
11-04-2014, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
That's why I like local storage. I personally don't worry about large file sizes, because drives are cheap, and RAID solutions are easy to build. But it looks like you may be on to something cool here -- so hope it works out for you
But local storage alone isn't safe -- it's local. (The house can burn down.) So I like local AND off-site backup. (There is a rule of thumb that your data isn't safe from loss unless it is stored at least 3 places.) In the past I have made DVDs of raw files and put them in a safe deposit box. But that's a pain. With the cloud you have to worry about hackers I guess. It's always something...

---------- Post added 11-04-14 at 09:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ucd180 Quote
Amazon's cloud service is capped at 5GB for Prime members. They do give you the option for add more storage at an additional cost.
  • 20GB $10/yr
  • 50GB $25/yr
  • 100GB $50/yr
  • 200GB $100/yr
  • 0.5TB $250/yr
  • 1TB $500/yr
Except for images, as of today. (Which are now unlimited.) Thus this thread.

11-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Most cloud backup solutions have software that you can run that will just upload the diffs (whatever's changed). Not sure if the Amazon one has that as an option. I just poked at it for a few seconds then ran here to post.
11-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
As an aside, if you are a subscriber to Office 365 in any of its incarnations, you'll end up getting unlimited cloud storage.
The version I have is 1 terabyte.
11-05-2014, 09:08 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
The version I have is 1 terabyte.
It will become unlimited. At no further cost. :-)
11-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great! I will be looking for the notice. Not that I am anywhere near a terabyte on it now
11-05-2014, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
---------- Post added 11-05-14 at 08:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ucd180 Quote
  • 20GB $10/yr
  • 50GB $25/yr
  • 100GB $50/yr
  • 200GB $100/yr
  • 0.5TB $250/yr
  • 1TB $500/yr

Here's a 1TB drive for $55.00. One would have to fill a terabyte drive every year for the next nine years (not difficult to do) in order to reach the cost of one year on Amazon. I'm a happy prime member since it's inception but this cloud storage deal doesn't seem like a good deal to me.[COLOR="Silver"]
11-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
---------- Post added 11-05-14 at 08:19 AM ----------

Here's a 1TB drive for $55.00. One would have to fill a terabyte drive every year for the next nine years (not difficult to do) in order to reach the cost of one year on Amazon. I'm a happy prime member since it's inception but this cloud storage deal doesn't seem like a good deal to me.[COLOR="Silver"]
But it's FREE. UNLIMITED -- FREE. For photos. Other types of files will count against the storage limits.

Repeat: photos are free. You can store 1 terabyte of photos for $0.

Well, ok, you still have to pay the prime fee, so it is actually $100/year. So if you are only signing up for the cloud drive than that would be a consideration. But since I already have it for the free shipping and the movies, etc etc.

Of course this is all part of the way Amazon is kinda evil as a company (they destroy every other company they can and lose lots of money in the process just for the sake of destroying other companies)...
11-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote

Of course this is all part of the way Amazon is kinda evil as a company (they destroy every other company they can and lose lots of money in the process just for the sake of destroying other companies)...
Similar to Microsoft.

Your $100 Office subscription or whatever will get you the unlimited space for photos, videos, music collection, documents.

Dropbox, look out!
11-05-2014, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

The Amazon interface/management for the cloud drive is a joke though -- not good for anything but one-way backups you hope you will never need to download back again...