Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
Unlimited free photo storage - Amazon Prime
Posted By: narual, 11-04-2014, 10:14 AM

Just logged onto Amazon to check on an order and noticed they've now added another benefit to Amazon Prime -- free, unlimited photo storage on their Amazon CloudDrive. I just tested it with a DNG and it worked, so it includes raw, as well, and doesn't seem to have any issue with overly lengthy file names like I use. (example: "Photo taken on 2014-11-02 at 172831 - using a PENTAX PENTAX K-5 with a smc PENTAX-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited at 15 mm-1-4 sec at f - 11-ISO 200.dng" )

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/primephotos
Views: 4,213
11-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
But local storage alone isn't safe -- it's local. (The house can burn down.)
Oh yeah, I left out fire, even though I was thinking it at the time.

It's not that unusual to have lightning zap a house. You don't always notice it... that's why you have lightning rods. But it can fry your electronics. Even a power outage can, especially when the power comes back on.

And unless your house is equipped with a halon system in your server room, chances are in a fire, your data is toast.

---------- Post added 11-05-14 at 12:58 PM ----------

The Amazon interface/management for the cloud drive is a joke though -- not good for anything but one-way backups you hope you will never need to download back again...
*shrug* software can always be updated. They may even add an API for third party interfaces at some point.

It does seem to blow though. No mac client except the browser interface?

11-05-2014, 10:19 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Site Supporter

But it's FREE. UNLIMITED -- FREE. For photos. Other types of files will count against the storage limits.

Repeat: photos are free. You can store 1 terabyte of photos for $0.

Well, ok, you still have to pay the prime fee, so it is actually $100/year. So if you are only signing up for the cloud drive than that would be a consideration. But since I already have it for the free shipping and the movies, etc etc.

Of course this is all part of the way Amazon is kinda evil as a company (they destroy every other company they can and lose lots of money in the process just for the sake of destroying other companies)...
Yeah, but then you are stuck renewing your prime membership forever, which is, of course what Amazon wants. I cancelled my Prime membership earlier this year when I realized it had become too easy to order things because "the shipping is free". I've cut way down on my purchases from Amazon since then. I also read on one of the financial websites about how much more Prime members spend at Amazon vs. non-prime, and there is a significant increase in spend by Prime members. Ultimately everything Amazon is doing is geared around getting you to spend more money with them. I'd like to keep my personal spending with them at a minimum.
11-06-2014, 05:55 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
But local storage alone isn't safe -- it's local. (The house can burn down.) So I like local AND off-site backup. (There is a rule of thumb that your data isn't safe from loss unless it is stored at least 3 places.) In the past I have made DVDs of raw files and put them in a safe deposit box. But that's a pain. With the cloud you have to worry about hackers I guess. It's always something...

---------- Post added 11-04-14 at 09:29 PM ----------

Except for images, as of today. (Which are now unlimited.) Thus this thread.
ioSafe provides a good solution for RAID storage the is both heat and water resistant. COSTCO has a 4TB version
http://www.costco.com/ioSafe-SOLO-G3-4TB-Disaster-Proof-Hard-Drive.product.100123617.html
Mine is 1 TB and works fine as one of two NAS drives used for files storage.
11-06-2014, 06:15 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
ioSafe provides a good solution for RAID storage the is both heat and water resistant. COSTCO has a 4TB version
http://www.costco.com/ioSafe-SOLO-G3-4TB-Disaster-Proof-Hard-Drive.product.100123617.html

If you can occasionally rotate one of the drives to another family member's house, you're set, Bob!

(I do quite a bit of this IT contingency planning in my job!)

11-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #35
Pentaxian

I have an single drive "fireproof" ioSafe, and it has been nothing been trouble. I actually have an appointment to have one of their techs run some tests on it. (Communication failure often.)

As far as my prime membership goes, there is no danger of me not wanting it anyway for other reasons anytime soon, despite Amazon's questionable practices there aren't a lot of alternatives. (Amazon has seen to that!) Eventually they will need to make a profit (they still don't) -- their investors are getting antsy...
11-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Assuming you can find it in the remains of your home, and it didn't suffer shock damage from falling into the basement from the second floor, or having the roof fall on it, or the tornado that hits your house doesn't fling it into the next county, or... whatever.

There's no 100% safe home backup strategy. That's the entire reason the concept of offsite backups exist.. whether you do them through the cloud or through physical copies. For a long time, I was backing my important stuff up to a couple of thumb drives and putting them in the safe deposit box at my bank (which also held CDs with copies of the source code for the bank's websites on it, because for a while we didn't have any good source control software). Now... gotta admit, I don't use one, at least, nothing consistent or formal.

QuoteOriginally posted by qblade Quote
Yeah, but then you are stuck renewing your prime membership forever, which is, of course what Amazon wants. I cancelled my Prime membership earlier this year when I realized it had become too easy to order things because "the shipping is free". I've cut way down on my purchases from Amazon since then. I also read on one of the financial websites about how much more Prime members spend at Amazon vs. non-prime, and there is a significant increase in spend by Prime members. Ultimately everything Amazon is doing is geared around getting you to spend more money with them. I'd like to keep my personal spending with them at a minimum.
May I take your tin foil hat, sir?

Offsite should be your secondary backup, not your primary. You're not locked into anything except by the time it takes to upload.

I personally have no intention of dropping Prime anytime soon. I certainly *do* spend a lot more at amazon... but that doesn't mean I'm spending more than I would without amazon. On the contrary, I'm spending less. I buy things there because they're typically cheaper (and when they're not, including shipping, I don't), because they have reasonably trustworthy reviews and decent return policies, and because I can get stuff overnighted for $4. And my prime pays for itself, every year. Sometimes, all at once.

Example: about 2.5 years ago, when we had an unbearable heat wave and my dad and I were refurbing my carriage house, where the windows are too small for anything but the weakest air conditioner, I ordered a portable air conditioner (the kind that sits on the floor and has a couple of tubes going to the window). It weighed over 100 pounds and the actual cost of shipping it overnight was something like $400, but I only paid $4. No one local had one in stock. (with that, we were able to complete the renovation on time for my renter to move in, she's now been there for over 2 years, with a lease going out to 2016 (anyone with rental property knows how wonderful that is) and uses that AC unit every summer). I figure that paid for Amazon Prime for at least 3 years on its own, not even counting other purchases I've made.

And come on... everything *every* company is doing is geared toward getting you to spend more money with them. That's the reason companies exist.

Now... will I use Prime to provide a secondary or tertiary back up of my photos? Probably not, since they only have a crappy web client for mac.

---------- Post added 11-06-14 at 12:53 PM ----------

despite Amazon's questionable practices there aren't a lot of alternatives. (Amazon has seen to that!) Eventually they will need to make a profit (they still don't) -- their investors are getting antsy...
Pretty good explanation of that - it's not like they're failing, they're just reinvesting almost all profits in expanding and improving the business (And they do make a profit in the traditional sense... they just don't make a big one)
Why Amazon Has No Profits (And Why It Works) | Andreessen Horowitz
11-06-2014, 11:04 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wonder if I could shuffle my Zools backups to this one - the stuff is already on Amazon Cold Storage. Zools were reselling 'unlimited' space for some ridiculously low price which I couldn't resist. Alas not any longer ...

Last edited by kh1234567890; 05-30-2016 at 02:33 AM.
11-07-2014, 12:34 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But it's FREE. UNLIMITED -- FREE. For photos. Other types of files will count against the storage limits.

Repeat: photos are free. You can store 1 terabyte of photos for $0.

Well, ok, you still have to pay the prime fee, so it is actually $100/year. So if you are only signing up for the cloud drive than that would be a consideration. But since I already have it for the free shipping and the movies, etc etc.

Of course this is all part of the way Amazon is kinda evil as a company (they destroy every other company they can and lose lots of money in the process just for the sake of destroying other companies)...
Okay. Copy, new policy.

As I said previously I'm an early adopter of Amazon Prime and dig it so this is actually kind of cool. During the holidays Amazon Prime pays for itself and I'm not spending anymore than I normally would. I also watch a number of the "Prime" movies they offer; between Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, and YouTube (lots of documentaries) I am spending way less money than I would for cable AND I get free shipping. Now I get free DNG storage. Bonus.

11-07-2014, 01:02 PM   #39
Site Supporter

OK - the tin foil hat comment was completely uncalled for. I was spending a lot of money on things I really didn't need to buy, sort of an analog to GAS when it comes to camera equipment. I'm not spending the money elsewhere. If you value your Prime membership, more power to you. I don't want to spend that much money with Amazon or anyone else. As for the free shipping, spend at least $35 and it is free anyway.

Last edited by qblade; 11-07-2014 at 01:17 PM.
11-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #40
Site Supporter

Yeah, I don't think it's a conspiracy theory that Amazon's main function is to separate people from their money.
11-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #41
Pentaxian

This sounds good except how do I get my 4 TB of raw files up there? If I could send them a hard drive for the initial backup and then just do incremental updates from there it could work well. Otherwise it will take forever with the limited upstream we get with most ISPs.

I'm also an old IT guy (now a software engineer) and have a home server too. It backs up all the PCs on our network, stores/shares media, and is pretty handy. I'll take a hard drive of images to my office every now and then for offsite, but I'd rather have secondary backup in the cloud for convenience if I could overcome the initial bandwidth hurtle.
11-08-2014, 12:27 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
This sounds good except how do I get my 4 TB of raw files up there?
It'll trickle, like OneDrive does. Btw, OneDrive can upload a 10Gb file, for those people who do video.
11-08-2014, 01:22 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
This sounds good except how do I get my 4 TB of raw files up there? If I could send them a hard drive for the initial backup and then just do incremental updates from there it could work well. Otherwise it will take forever with the limited upstream we get with most ISPs.
Slowly

The business model of many of these storage companies assumes that you'll never use up the space. With Zools, which uses Amazon Glacier, they even throttle the upload speed to about 2Mbit/sec, in my experience. They lure you in by offering free or dirt cheap storage, you spend ages shuffling your data up there and then they increase their prices, assuming that since you'd put in all that effort you'll pay up ...
11-08-2014, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Slowly

The business model of many of these storage companies assumes that you'll never use up the space. With Zools, which uses Amazon Glacier, they even throttle the upload speed to about 2Mbit/sec, in my experience. They lure you in by offering free or dirt cheap storage, you spend ages shuffling your data up there and then they increase their prices, assuming that since you'd put in all that effort you'll pay up ...
Slowly +2!!!!

Over the last several years I have read tales of woe, where folks have push their stuff out to other services, only to find that when the providers have decided to go do something else and pull the plug, there was not enough time to get their stuff off and placed somewhere else. Then there is the situation where the authorities step in and just take the servers and storage - and all the innocent 3rd party users are just out of luck - loosing everything (i.e., depending on the service to back stuff up).

Large external USB drives....

11-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

So all your personal photos are in the cloud and you suddenly pass away. Who owns them now and how do they get access to them? You are much more likely to die than to have your house burn down in any given year. Backing up files is so easy today that you can do while watching Grimm. If the IRS goes in to seize assets, you are out of luck.