Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
Unlimited free photo storage - Amazon Prime
Posted By: narual, 11-04-2014, 10:14 AM

Just logged onto Amazon to check on an order and noticed they've now added another benefit to Amazon Prime -- free, unlimited photo storage on their Amazon CloudDrive. I just tested it with a DNG and it worked, so it includes raw, as well, and doesn't seem to have any issue with overly lengthy file names like I use. (example: "Photo taken on 2014-11-02 at 172831 - using a PENTAX PENTAX K-5 with a smc PENTAX-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited at 15 mm-1-4 sec at f - 11-ISO 200.dng" )

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/primephotos
Views: 4,024
11-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Cloud backup should never be the only backup but it is nice to have quick access when you need it from anywhere. Multiple hds is probably the closest to perfect back up system and also may be the cheapest even with many terabytes of photos.

11-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Yes, this is a backup backup, not a primary option (unless you're going to use multiple cloud backups). Bandwidth might be an issue if you have terabytes of stuff, but becoming less of one all the time. If the initial upload or/and if an emergency (quick) download of the entire archive is too much for you, you could pay someone with an unlimited fast pipe to take your usb drive and upload it or download it (to the drive). Currently I have hundreds of GBs, but less than 1TB I think. I should be able to get my whole archive up within a month or so of leisurely uploading. I could do it in one day probably, but my ISP might not like it on my home service. I used to have Comcast "business class" for work purposes -- it was truly unlimited and fast. For home internet they might give you a warning if you start going over 250GB/mo (especially upstream), but that limit is probably higher than it used to be. (A heavy Netflix watcher of HD content can get to that pretty easily.)
11-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

I suppose that with different ISPs we all get widely different upload rates but I uploaded 35gbs to amazon rather quickly last night.
11-08-2014, 12:04 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I suppose that with different ISPs we all get widely different upload rates but I uploaded 35gbs to amazon rather quickly last night.
Its going to vary across various ISP, especially in terms of their peering agreements with the Level 1 backbone providers. Comcast has been famous (or I should really say infamous) in this regard, with h=playing games with their peering throughput rates.

11-08-2014, 02:32 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Then there is the situation where the authorities step in and just take the servers and storage - and all the innocent 3rd party users are just out of luck - loosing everything
How can you lose everything, Interested-Observer? You've only lost your curreny offline backup.

Your suggestion of a USB external drive fails the offline test if it's sitting connected to the computer it's backing up!
11-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #51
mee
Site Supporter

I'm more concerned with security over reliability of the service. Putting it in the cloudddd means it is potentially accessible to anyone anywhere in the world. And with all of the large named companies having data breaches, it makes me super squeamish of loading all my DNGs onto it.
11-08-2014, 06:57 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'm more concerned with security over reliability of the service. Putting it in the cloudddd means it is potentially accessible to anyone anywhere in the world. And with all of the large named companies having data breaches, it makes me super squeamish of loading all my DNGs onto it.
But you wouldn't put sensitive data like your passwords or videos of your bedroom antics up there, Mee. Leave that to the dummies. Don't select those folders for upload.
11-10-2014, 05:51 PM   #53
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But you wouldn't put sensitive data like your passwords or videos of your bedroom antics up there, Mee. Leave that to the dummies. Don't select those folders for upload.
But it is OK for people to potentially steal your DNGs and make prints all day long? That is my concern, not someone stealing my passwords or non-existant bedroom anctic videos...

Perhaps it would be OK if one put a really long and complex password on an archive of images online.. a password so complex that it would take decades to bruteforce crack. But even then I'd be somewhat leery of having my archived DNGs online.. even on a 'secured' cloud drive. That is the issue with an open architecture -- there is no definitive method of fully securing it.

I'd rather take my chances with a burglar potentially (and hopefully never) kicking down my front door, rummaging through my PC drives, and finding the external RAID device with my images, then knowing what to do with them over someone who specifically knows server X has tons of archived images on it so they will hit that server specifically.

The only real plus I see to this is having your files off site would be great in case of natural disaster.

11-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter

Theft is possible but unlikely on storage sites. This is different from public sites like Flickr.
11-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

But it is OK for people to potentially steal your DNGs and make prints all day long? That is my concern, not someone stealing my passwords
Remarkable priorities, Mee!

Just encrypt the files, if this is a concern.

Your alternatives are to keep updating a second copy of everything at a friend's house/whatever, or have no offsite backup at all!

Choose your poison.
11-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #56
Pentaxian

But it is OK for people to potentially steal your DNGs and make prints all day long? That is my concern, not someone stealing my passwords or non-existant bedroom anctic videos...
UNLESS you have something salacious or information that can be used to steal your identity, the idea that someone would hack into your account and make prints is frankly absurd. That's like saying you're worried someone will break in your house and...watch your television. If you are not a celebrity, hackers and thieves are looking to make money, not make art prints from stolen source material. Nothing is secure, including my house. Certainly I don't want my account compromised, but since all I have is pictures of trees and buildings and birds, etc, if it ever were there would be no terrible consequences just from my images getting into the hands of some hacker. I would expect such a hacker to look them over, yawn, and move on...
11-11-2014, 04:32 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Typically you'd upload your data using SSL and it would then be encrypted using AES 256 before storage. Unless you give someone your account details or the bad people waterboard them out of you, your data is pretty secure.
11-11-2014, 07:36 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Typically you'd upload your data using SSL and it would then be encrypted using AES 256 before storage. Unless you give someone your account details or the bad people waterboard them out of you, your data is pretty secure.
That would be a wrinkle with this Amazon deal. If you encrypted it, the files would no longer be recognized as images, and no longer be free...
11-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
That would be a wrinkle with this Amazon deal. If you encrypted it, the files would no longer be recognized as images, and no longer be free...
But if they encrypt it in their filesystem (which I think is what we are talking about here) then that won't matter and they would still be considered images.
11-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
But if they encrypt it in their filesystem (which I think is what we are talking about here) then that won't matter and they would still be considered images.
I don't think that was what was being suggested above. If Amazon was breached, there is no reason to NOT think that your data/images could be stolen (i.e. not encrypted). Whereas if *you* encrypted it before it was uploaded (and did it well), then your data would still be safe even if it was stolen. Your amazon account is protected with a simple password, there is no 512-bit key (or similar) that only you know to allow you access to your images. Therefore it is in fact vulnerable. I'm willing to live with that for my images because:

A) They aren't worth anything to anyone but me. Thieves would be totally uninterested in them.
B) The risk of me losing them by NOT having an off-site backup is much greater than someone stealing them by breaching Amazon.