Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Unlimited free photo storage - Amazon Prime
Posted By: narual, 11-04-2014, 10:14 AM

Just logged onto Amazon to check on an order and noticed they've now added another benefit to Amazon Prime -- free, unlimited photo storage on their Amazon CloudDrive. I just tested it with a DNG and it worked, so it includes raw, as well, and doesn't seem to have any issue with overly lengthy file names like I use. (example: "Photo taken on 2014-11-02 at 172831 - using a PENTAX PENTAX K-5 with a smc PENTAX-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited at 15 mm-1-4 sec at f - 11-ISO 200.dng" )

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/primephotos
Views: 6,058
11-04-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
Wow -- nice option. I'm from the old school that likes his home server for storage, but there's definitely an advantage to allowing somebody else to worry about the backups/space/hardware cost/etc. Nice find
11-04-2014, 11:01 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

It's like letting the cat guard the cream - and it's free!
11-04-2014, 11:11 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
Wow -- nice option. I'm from the old school that likes his home server for storage, but there's definitely an advantage to allowing somebody else to worry about the backups/space/hardware cost/etc. Nice find
I admit, I chuckled.

11-04-2014, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #5
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I admit, I chuckled.
Yeah, yeah -- laugh it up About the only cloud-based stuff I use on a regular basis, would be Steam and Origin. I like to be able to download the games that I paid for, to any machine that uses their client...but I don't like to store my "stuff" on them. Makes no sense, I know. Of course, I also play all of my games on heavily OCed, water-cooled PC's that I build, instead of spending $500 once for a console system. I'd rather spend $600 on a video card than a whole system -- lol. I think the only explanation is that I'm a hardware junkie, so having a big, water-cooled RAID 10 server under my desk, is fun and cool...as opposed to practical, and convenient.

Best that I got
11-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, yeah -- laugh it up About the only cloud-based stuff I use on a regular basis, would be Steam and Origin. I like to be able to download the games that I paid for, to any machine that uses their client...but I don't like to store my "stuff" on them. Makes no sense, I know. Of course, I also play all of my games on heavily OCed, water-cooled PC's that I build, instead of spending $500 once for a console system. I'd rather spend $600 on a video card than a whole system -- lol. I think the only explanation is that I'm a hardware junkie, so having a big, water-cooled RAID 10 server under my desk, is fun and cool...as opposed to practical, and convenient.

Best that I got
I mean, the thought of a home server being "old school". If you had hundred of photos stuffed in shoeboxes... now that would be "old school"!
11-04-2014, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I mean, the thought of a home server being "old school". If you had hundred of photos stuffed in shoeboxes... now that would be "old school"!
Shoeboxes? Hah! If you were *real* old school, your pictures would stored the right way -- in caves. Proven longevity, that:

I don't think anyone would consider this the primary place to store their photos... uploading to the cloud is much too slow. But as an extra free backup location? Sure, why not?

11-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #8
Closed Account

Ah, I get you now. I work in an IT environment, and everybody always gives a hard time to the couple of us that still "rely" on personal mechanical storage. They trust everything to somebody's cloud, but I don't think I'll ever get there. Too old, too geeky.
11-04-2014, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah, I get you now. I work in an IT environment, and everybody always gives a hard time to the couple of us that still "rely" on personal mechanical storage. They trust everything to somebody's cloud, but I don't think I'll ever get there. Too old, too geeky.
I must be behind the times. Maybe it happened once I quit working in a big IT department and went into consulting back in 2010. To me, cloud backup is a great secondary backup mechanism. It's a must for important files, unless you're a big company that can afford a second, off-site data center with a fiber connection constantly uploading (the bank I worked for for a long time had a second mainframe & server farm about 200 miles away and everything was synchronized with that location either nightly or in real time, depending on how critical it was. They could cut power to the primary mainframe and theoretically at least, be back online within about 5 minutes, with no data loss, since the branch servers cached everything before sending it on to the mainframe. The rest of us at home? Not so easy.) Hardly what I'd use for primary storage, though. I like my data backed up fast, and easily accessible even if my internet connection is down.
11-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
Closed Account

I work for a large financial institution that has a backup solution similar in sound to your previous employer. I figure for our house, the odds of two discs taking a dive at the same time are pretty slim, so the RAID set is good enough for us, in addition to the same accessibility advantages you cite. Plus it gave me a reason to build yet another PC
11-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the odds of two discs taking a dive at the same time are pretty slim, so the RAID set is good enough for us, in addition to the same accessibility advantages you cite.
Two disks in the same device? The odds are about as slim as a bolt of lightning striking the house. Or a pet knocking the box over while its writing.
11-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #12
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Two disks in the same device? The odds are about as slim as a bolt of lightning striking the house. Or a pet knocking the box over while its writing.
Exactly why I feel just as safe with it, as I do with anything else. On a nice UPS with automatic shutdown measures, too. So pretty good to go
11-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #13
Pentaxian

While it does list ".raw" as a supported file type, it does not list .dng. (These are listed as file extensions, not as generic types.) It says unsupported types will count against your storage limit. So that could be an oversight, but I'd make sure before uploading a gazillion dngs. (Which I'd like to do myself.)
11-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #14
Closed Account

Yeah, that would hurt if .dng wasn't part of the deal -- lol
11-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Yeah, that would hurt if .dng wasn't part of the deal -- lol
Well, it typically isn't, and is the very reason I haven't used a cloud solution yet -- no support for raw files under an "unlimited" deal and while cloud prices have been going down, RAW files are big and getting bigger, it was cost-prohibitive. However, I just uploaded a handful of dngs and it does appear they are not counting towards my drive limit. So looks like I've got a lot more uploading to do...