Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Really good price for Tamron 17-50 2.8 K-mount
Posted By: Spodeworld, 11-18-2014, 11:29 AM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Seen on eBay

"New" Tamron SP A016 17 50 mm F2 8 Di II XR Aspherical AF If Lens for Pentax F S | eBay
Views: 1,619
11-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #2

Oh wow! I was looking to buy the DA* 55mm f/1.4 for my future newborn (fast lens for indoors low-lights) but I was instead recommended this lens due to the versatility of a fast zoom... And now to see it at such low price!
11-18-2014, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see these prices from Japan all the time.

This lens is very famous for having AF issues, de-centering issues, etc. Sometimes you get lucky, but sometimes you have to go through a few to find a good one. How would that work with a lens from Japan? That's the reason I wouldn't even consider it.
11-18-2014, 02:32 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote

This lens is very famous for having AF issues, de-centering issues, etc. Sometimes you get lucky, but sometimes you have to go through a few to find a good one. How would that work with a lens from Japan? That's the reason I wouldn't even consider it.
Thank you very much!

This is the kind of thing I wouldn't know myself. Does your comment also apply for the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 ?

11-18-2014, 03:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Moropo Quote
Thank you very much!

This is the kind of thing I wouldn't know myself. Does your comment also apply for the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 ?
I *think* that Sigma has a better reputation (it's also more expensive) but Sigmas also have had similar problems in the past. I don't think I'd get one from Japan, either. But that's just me.
11-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
bxf
Veteran Member

Oh wow! I was looking to buy the DA* 55mm f/1.4 for my future newborn (fast lens for indoors low-lights) but I was instead recommended this lens due to the versatility of a fast zoom... And now to see it at such low price!
What makes you so sure that your future newborn will give a hoot about photography, or be able to use a camera at all?
11-18-2014, 06:11 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
What makes you so sure that your future newborn will give a hoot about photography, or be able to use a camera at all?
Hehe I know you are kidding but I meant to say to take pictures of my future baby since my 18-135 does not deliver inside the house unless k use flash.

11-19-2014, 07:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have a copy of this lens for my Pentax and another for my Nikon (crazy, I know). It is really a sharp lens.
11-19-2014, 07:41 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote

Around my house it isn't famous for that.
Actually if you read through the forum reviews, there are more than 50 reviews and three people that were unhappy with their copy, although there are the usual number of people who found fault but not enough to justify a return. And also the usual number of people who found the lens a 10 all around.
That's actually a pretty good acceptance rate. (93%)

The Sigma was recommended by 95% of reviewers.
The DA*16-50 was recommended by 86% of reviewers...
The DA*50-135 was recommended by 95% of reviewers.
My DA 18-135 was recommended by 95% of reviewers.

And of course my gem, the DA*60-250 was recommended by 100% of the reviewers

But hey, I digress, so, I'm wondering, in what universe is this lens famous for having de-centering issues?

Here's a place a little closer to home.
New Tamron 17 50mm XR F 2 8 Di II Lens for Pentax DSLR | eBay

They are the web store of this chain.
Carman's Foto Source | Home

If you read through the linked reviews, all questions will be answered.

Last edited by normhead; 11-19-2014 at 08:29 AM.
11-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
Will these lens from Japan or Canada come with Tamron's 6 year warranty? Same question on Sigma, I know it would not be 6 years, one year, I believe. Thanks

Opps, Looked again on Canadian ad. It mentions a Tamron Canadian 6 year warranty..

Last edited by royden; 11-19-2014 at 08:09 AM. Reason: add
11-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Hehe I know you are kidding but I meant to say to take pictures of my future baby since my 18-135 does not deliver inside the house unless k use flash.
I know this isn't the purpose of this thread, but I'd like to say that I went with the DA 35mm f/2.4 "plastic fantastic" lens when our 3rd child was born (I didn't even have a DSLR for the 1st and 2nd one... just a point and shoot). I couldn't be happier, and not just for the price. I really think it's a great lens.

This was taken the night before I opened the lens box, and I was instantly in love with it. K20D, straight out of camera jpeg.

---------- Post added 11-19-14 at 10:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Around my house it isn't famous for that.
Actually if you read through the forum reviews, there are more than 50 reviews and three people that were unhappy with their copy, although there are the usual number of people who found fault but not enough to justify a return. And also the usual number of people who found the lens a 10 all around.
That's actually a pretty good acceptance rate. (93%)

The Sigma was recommended by 95% of reviewers.
The DA*16-50 was recommended by 86% of reviewers...
The DA*50-135 was recommended by 95% of reviewers.
My DA 18-135 was recommended by 95% of reviewers.

And of course my gem, the DA*60-250 was recommended by 100% of the reviewers

But hey, I digress, so, I'm wondering, in what universe is this lens famous for having de-centering issues?

Here's a place a little closer to home.
New Tamron 17 50mm XR F 2 8 Di II Lens for Pentax DSLR | eBay

They are the web store of this chain.
Carman's Foto Source | Home
I've considered the Tammy 17-50, as the price is definitely right for used copies. So I've done a lot of research on it and most threads I've found show people who have had problems - sometimes multiple copy problems with the lens.

I did say that chances are if you buy one you'll be fine, but these problems are not uncommon, so if they do happen, how does it work when you got your lens from Japan? How long do you wait until you return it and wait for a new one? For someone with a new baby, that could easily mean a couple months of pictures that won't get taken.

Just do a search if you're interested and you'll see quite a few people complaining about de-centered copies and also focusing issues that are not easily corrected (eg. front focusing wide and back-focusing on the long end).

If he does want the lens, just search around. Right now Adorama has a copy for sale on Amazon for 239 + shipping with a 6 month warranty. Since it's Amazon, returning would mean the money could quickly be used to buy something else, if the lens is faulty. Sometimes KEH also has the lens with the same 6 month warranty, in the 200-300 range.

---------- Post added 11-19-14 at 11:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by royden Quote
Will these lens from Japan or Canada come with Tamron's 6 year warranty? Same question on Sigma, I know it would not be 6 years, one year, I believe. Thanks

Opps, Looked again on Canadian ad. It mentions a Tamron Canadian 6 year warranty..
This is what the linked Ebay auction says:

QuoteQuote:
RETRURN

We accept return in the case of shipping mistake or item defect in 14 days after your receive.
So I assume, no manufacturer warranty whatsoever. Only a sellers "RETRURN" policy
11-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Just do a search if you're interested and you'll see quite a few people complaining about de-centered copies and also focusing issues that are not easily corrected (eg. front focusing wide and back-focusing on the long end).
The only thing we need to know is, is it better or worse than any other lens? You seem to be implying it's worse.
11-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The only thing we need to know is, is it better or worse than any other lens? You seem to be implying it's worse.
I also researched Pentax, Sigma and Tokina. I didn't see nearly the same amount of problems being reported with Pentax and Tokina lenses. Sigma, yes, but Tamron was the worse. Or Tamron users went to the internet more often who knows...

Again, this is non-scientific of course, but the fact remains that these problems do happen - otherwise people wouldn't complain about it on fora. And if it does happen, being able to return or exchange quickly would be important for me. So I'm not saying, don't buy this lens. I'm just saying, I wouldn't buy it from Japan. YMMV and all that.
11-19-2014, 07:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All three of those wide 2.8 have problems. The 16-50 sdm, tthe Tamron 17-50 FF/BF, and the Sigma trouble communicating with the camera. I think the Tamron is so close to being as good as the DA*. As is the Sigma.