Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  
Pentax K-5 IIs: $496 (Black Friday deal)
Posted By: Adam, 11-24-2014, 04:20 PM

This is an official Adorama Black Friday deal (won't go lower). The K-5 IIs is available for an all-time low of $496:

Pentax K-5 IIs Digital SLR Camera Body 12050


Views: 3,941
11-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #16
Veteran Member
jhaji's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 425
Now all someone has to do is coax B&H to throw in a grip for free and the AF-540 for $50.
It's not like they are going to be able to peddle discontinued accessories forever

11-25-2014, 10:55 AM   #17
Pentaxian
ZeljkoS's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Banja Luka
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 304
Problem is that grips are out of stock. I was hoping to get a deal for body+grip, but grips are out of stock. At least it was showing that at the time I was ordering the body.

I just got 1 extra battery, should be fine for my needs.

Last edited by ZeljkoS; 11-25-2014 at 11:04 AM.
11-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
LeRolls's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: PSL, FL
Posts: 3,644
If I hadn't already taken advantage of the K-3 deal I'd be very tempted by this offer. Insane value!
11-25-2014, 12:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member
nanhi's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore, India
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 440
B&H are such a wonderful organization with excellent Customer Delight and satisfaction. I am getting back $ 50 as a Thanksgiving present for the difference between $ 546.95 (the current price) and the price I paid two weeks ago - $ 596.95.
At $ 546.95 the K-5 IIs Body + the original Pentax Grip + a 64 GB SanDisk SDXC Ultra Card is included.
What a deal - smashing! in my British English.
Happy Thanksgiving Folks.
nanhi
camp: San Mateo, CA.

11-25-2014, 03:04 PM   #20
Pentaxian
redrockcoulee's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Medicine Hat
Posts: 2,135
When the K5iis first came out I thought it was the camera for me. Last night it looks like one will now be mine. First I thought I showed quite a bit of restraint but then realized I bought 6 cameras this year. Two P&S film cameras from the Post at a loonie each, a beautiful wooden Zero 2000 pinhole for my wife, two Holgas and now this one and I got a WGIII for my birthday the first of the year. There was nothing wrong with my K-r, still a great camera, but with my wife having bought a K5 last year to replace her broken K10D how could I survive long with her having the better model? At least this way the few times I need to use a dual camera set up there is no difference in handling the two.
11-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,107
For some reason I though that the sale was for Friday only. I went to the sale page and their online chat popped up. I said something about waiting until the sale on Friday and she (the chat gal) said they were taking orders and had stock ready to ship. So, I ordered - no more having to ping pong between this and the K3. My K5 is perfectly fine, so will be looking for a new home.....

Now, all I have to worry about is if the 60-250 along with the 1.4x TC, will hit my sale price?

11-26-2014, 12:03 AM   #22
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,118
How much would the K-5II go on the used market for, given the recent drops in price of K-3 and K-5IIs?
I would rather have an AA filter, but used prices so far are actually higher, or comparable, to a new K-5IIs.
Should I wait a few weeks and just buy a used K-5II on ebay or from KEH?
11-26-2014, 12:34 AM   #23
Veteran Member
nanhi's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore, India
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 440
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
How much would the K-5II go on the used market for, given the recent drops in price of K-3 and K-5IIs?
I would rather have an AA filter, but used prices so far are actually higher, or comparable, to a new K-5IIs.
Should I wait a few weeks and just buy a used K-5II on ebay or from KEH?
By Jove! rrstuff Sir, you are a Veteran Member and such thinking does not bode well.
Please buy the brand new K-5 IIs with the original Grip + a 64 GB SanDisk SDXC Ultra card NOW from B&H for $ 546.95.
Note the actual price for the K-5 IIs Body works out to just $ 327 when you deduct $ 220 for the Grip + the Card.

You will never get a used K-5 II for $ 327 which is the current cost of a brand new K-5 IIs.
For God's sake, please do not worry about moire on the K-5 IIs. And don't get into the trap of AA Filter vs no AA Filter. The K-5 IIs is the better of the two - super sharp photos.
Out of some 2200 shots with my new K-5 IIs I hardly have 3 shots with some moire affect - a particular patterned skirt my Grand-daughter was wearing. This was easily corrected in post.
Regards.
nanhi
camp: San Mateo, CA.

11-26-2014, 12:46 AM   #24
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,118
QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
By Jove! rrstuff Sir, you are a Veteran Member and such thinking does not bode well.
Please buy the brand new K-5 IIs with the original Grip + a 64 GB SanDisk SDXC Ultra card NOW from B&H for $ 546.95.
Note the actual price for the K-5 IIs Body works out to just $ 327 when you deduct $ 220 for the Grip + the Card.

You will never get a used K-5 II for $ 327 which is the current cost of a brand new K-5 IIs.
For God's sake, please do not worry about moire on the K-5 IIs. And don't get into the trap of AA Filter vs no AA Filter. The K-5 IIs is the better of the two - super sharp photos.
Out of some 2200 shots with my new K-5 IIs I hardly have 3 shots with some moire affect - a particular patterned skirt my Grand-daughter was wearing. This was easily corrected in post.
Regards.
nanhi
camp: San Mateo, CA.
The grip's MSRP comes down to $200, but sells for a lot less on a used market. So really I will have to put down $550 and maybe recoup a $100. I would swap my K-30 for K-5 IIs, so the upgrade would probably come down to some $150 after all the ebay selling. It's not an insignificant amount, when you are a Ph.D. student .
11-26-2014, 01:15 AM   #25
Veteran Member
nanhi's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore, India
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 440
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
The grip's MSRP comes down to $200, but sells for a lot less on a used market. So really I will have to put down $550 and maybe recoup a $100. I would swap my K-30 for K-5 IIs, so the upgrade would probably come down to some $150 after all the ebay selling. It's not an insignificant amount, when you are a Ph.D. student .
My Daughter was a Ph.D student at UIUC Illinois with a fellowship of $ 32,000 per year in 1979. After 2 - years (she had bought a like new 2nd hand car then) I asked her how much she had saved. She would not tell me until I told her that I would match her savings if she did tell.
She said $ 8000. I did send her $ 8000 then.
Come on rrstuff, you can afford it as a Ph.D student. Just be prudent on your other expenses.
Regards.
nanhi
camp: San Mateo, CA.
11-26-2014, 02:04 AM   #26
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,118
QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
My Daughter was a Ph.D student at UIUC Illinois with a fellowship of $ 32,000 per year in 1979. After 2 - years (she had bought a like new 2nd hand car then) I asked her how much she had saved. She would not tell me until I told her that I would match her savings if she did tell.
She said $ 8000. I did send her $ 8000 then.
Come on rrstuff, you can afford it as a Ph.D student. Just be prudent on your other expenses.
Regards.
nanhi
camp: San Mateo, CA.
Our stipends are lower now than your daughter's in 1979 - and that's in 2014 dollars. We get approximately $30k now.
1979 dollars in 2014 dollars

It's a digression though. I am curious if anyone has any predictions about the used market for K-5 and K-5II,
11-26-2014, 04:19 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,107
QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
By Jove! rrstuff Sir, you are a Veteran Member and such thinking does not bode well.
Please buy the brand new K-5 IIs with the original Grip + a 64 GB SanDisk SDXC Ultra card NOW from B&H for $ 546.95.
Note the actual price for the K-5 IIs Body works out to just $ 327 when you deduct $ 220 for the Grip + the Card.

You will never get a used K-5 II for $ 327 which is the current cost of a brand new K-5 IIs.
For God's sake, please do not worry about moire on the K-5 IIs. And don't get into the trap of AA Filter vs no AA Filter. The K-5 IIs is the better of the two - super sharp photos.
Out of some 2200 shots with my new K-5 IIs I hardly have 3 shots with some moire affect - a particular patterned skirt my Grand-daughter was wearing. This was easily corrected in post.
Regards.
nanhi
camp: San Mateo, CA.
On this particular deal, the SD card pretty much sells for $40 US. On the grip, even though it has MSRP of $200 - $250, the real after market cost is substantially less. The overall market for K5's is shrinking, most folks who want a grip have one already. The marketplace here on the forum, they are being offered for between $150 and $100 US. If you were inclined to purchase the package deal, lets say you keep the card, and sell the grip for the $100 to $150 price (it may take several weeks to a month to sell). The more folks that take the deal, with the intention of selling the grip, will just further saturate an already saturated market for the grip, so either the price goes lower, or the grip just does not sell. With the idea that the grip sells, that would bring your cash outlay down to somewhere between $400 and $450. That is still a terrific price, especially the current body only sale for $496.

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
...
It's a digression though. I am curious if anyone has any predictions about the used market for K-5 and K-5II,
Well, that is a good question. an 8 year old K100D goes for $100 to $120 here and on KEH. I sold my K20 for $400, 3 years ago when I acquired my K5. I have watched the market place with the K5 commanding anywhere from $300 to $400 - with the higher price a few months ago. But it is also based on the condition and number of clicks. Evilbay is pretty much the same environment. It just all depends on the number of units being offered, and the number of folks looking for them, and what they are willing to pay. But that is just my opinion, and my wife disagrees with me all the time.

11-26-2014, 04:33 AM   #28
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,118
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
But that is just my opinion, and my wife disagrees with me all the time.

hahaa. I think I can relate.

Thanks for the analysis. I needed some longer-term perspective as I am relatively new to Pentax (1 year).
I don't need a camera immediately, so I don't mind waiting a bit to get a bit better deal.
I don't think I would look into K-5II if it wasn't for the price drop.

I am slightly tempted to just wait a year and buy a used K-3, hopefully at some ~$600, but K-5II series will probably be good enough for me.
11-26-2014, 06:56 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,107
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
hahaa. I think I can relate.

Thanks for the analysis. I needed some longer-term perspective as I am relatively new to Pentax (1 year).
I don't need a camera immediately, so I don't mind waiting a bit to get a bit better deal.
I don't think I would look into K-5II if it wasn't for the price drop.

I am slightly tempted to just wait a year and buy a used K-3, hopefully at some ~$600, but K-5II series will probably be good enough for me.
Well ever since the K5IIs was released I have been watching it - also with the K3. I do a lot of stitching, in ambient low light - at early evening and at night. Also getting into a fair amount of wide field astro. So ISO 80-100 interests me the most - for real clean images. Also ISO 3200-6400 for clean (as possible) astro images. There was a thread that during the discussion came across a comparison of the K5IIs with the K3 at 3200 to 6400 ISO and the K3 did not fair so well. That pushed me in part to peg the K3 lower and raise the K5IIs. I really don't need the additional pixels - especially with stitching.

I am going to primarily AF lenses, and better AF - in dark conditions would be nice. I still am aw struck at how well the K5 does after sunset (low light on a tripod). The K3's AF would be the best, however with the K5IIs' improved AF (-3ev) over the K5 classic, I am betting that I will be as perfect as I can get. I asked myself if the K3 was worth a 50% premium and would I be missing anything. Also, would I be satisfied for the next 3 years. I believe that for my purposes, the K5IIs is probably the best fit I can do. Plus, you can't beat the price.

I figure that a new camera body will come out in mid to late 2015, and will take another 15 months to break $1k. The K3 will be selling for sub $500 next Black Friday (if it is still in production, which I think it will be, but on its way out). I think, based on the images I have looked at from the K3, that I still will be very satisfied with the K5IIs. It is anyone's guess as to the K5IIs' production run life time. Ricoh is at least breaking even at this price, and probably still has a small profit based on manufacturing maturity and volume material pricing. The production life for the K5IIs is coming to a close. So, buying new with the 2 year extended warranty - provides me with a safety net for the next 3 years. Plus there will be a relatively inexpensive supply of K5/K5IIs used available. I think that I can skip the K3 and perhaps the next body.

The only thing that I would be interest in would be a K? with the features of the K3 and a better sensor than the K5 (better IQ and DR, with lower noise). If that turns out to be the K3's replacement, it will still be a year to work out the bugs,and for the price to break $1k (this is just a hobby). The K5IIs will easily get me there. Anyway, this is a known quantity, available here and now, that will do everything I want, that is easy on the check book - done deal.

11-26-2014, 08:12 AM   #30
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2
a great price!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
friday, grip, k-5, pentax, pentax deals, pentax k-5
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K-5 IIs for $696.95 (deal is back) Adam Pentax Price Watch 30 04-04-2014 07:34 AM
Pentax K-5 II: $599 at B&H - Black Friday Fire Sale! Adam Pentax Price Watch 186 02-20-2014 08:50 PM
K-5 IIs: $846 (Black Friday) Adam Pentax Price Watch 4 11-27-2013 10:21 PM
(Black Friday) Pentax K-5 IIs: $1049 at B&H ($250 off!!, same price as K-5 II) Adam Pentax Price Watch 39 11-29-2012 12:16 PM
K-5 IIs Black Friday discount HawaiianOnline Ask B&H Photo! 2 11-26-2012 07:30 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:58 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top